Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Alaska

Notices

Good local shops?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
TacoAK is on a distinguished road
TacoAK's Tacoma Gallery
Good local shops?

Hey guys, newer Tacoma owner here, wondering if there's any good local shops for wheels, tires, suspension, etc. around town (Anchorage) that actually carries parts in stock or won't charge me shipping. I love it here but shipping costs suck!!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
charles will become famous soon enough
Army:
Name: Charles
charles's Tacoma Gallery
Try green tree fabrications of of old seward. they specialize in toyotas
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
AKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Adam
AKtoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
X2 call the guys at Green Tree. I wouldn't take my ride anywhere else. Call Dan Green the owner, tell him Adam sent you, here is his cell 907-250-8685.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
AKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAKtoyTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Adam
AKtoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
another thought, Underground Performance does a good job too and has access to lots of different parts dealers. They don't specialize in custom fab stuff like Green Tree does, but for bolt on parts you can definitely trust them. You can reach Underground at (907) 349-1555. But if you want real custom work, Green Tree is the way to go.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
GrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrayTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Paratrooper
Name: Andy
GrayTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
MGM truck accessories, I used to work there, Ask for Mike or Spike Lasky tell them Andy send you.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
joshcuerdo is on a distinguished road

joshcuerdo's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, new member. I see this is kind of an old thread so I dont know if I'll get a reply. I've had my Taco for about 3 years now, its the best truck ive ever owned. I never was the type to do anything with something thats already perfect. But, I feel my truck deserves to get spoiled a little more. I also am getting sick of getting stuck. So, in your guy's opinions, Im going for a 6 inch coil over pro comp suspension lift, with 17 inch rims and 35 inch nittos. I know NOTHING about trucks. I quoted a few places in town. American Tire quoted me about 8000 dollars. Is there anywhere else that would be a little bit lower? I understand money pays for good work, but if im paying for a little under half of what my truck is worth, i feel I should at least haggle a little bit. Thanks so much.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Let us help you, and you dont need to go that big to not get stuck. 8000 is ridiculous. My whole suspension will be less than 6k and I'll be running agressive 34's on less than 4" of lift
Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Let us help you, and you dont need to go that big to not get stuck. 8000 is ridiculous. My whole suspension will be less than 6k and I'll be running agressive 34's on less than 4" of lift
Ben, you don't even get stuck on your stock setup with bald tires . magic!

Josh, most of us just run 3ish inch lifts with 33s. Seems to do pretty well. Get good functionality and gennerally avoid a lot of the complications of bigger lifts. If youre going to run 35s, you might have to regear too, which will be even more money. Not sure exactly how big it is before re gearing is really needed.

If you want a good setup, i would look at icon, king, or fox. All 3 inch lifts and great quality. Tire wise i would suggest 33s. They look good, and are relatively functional on and off road. (Depending on your tread choice). I love my nitto terra grapplers. Not too bad to drive on roa and have thus far performed well off road. The lift/tires/UCAs/extended brake lines setup shouldnt be anywhere near 8 grand if you go this route. Could probably do it for about 5k or so.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

I do appreciate the advice, my neighboor has a 4 inch lift on his 08 taco. it looked ok. I was going with three main brands, b&s, pro comp, and king. (with fox shocks all the way around)

I mainly enjoy the look of it, and I do not really have a max price range. I just wanted to get peoples opinion price wise. My father also had a 6 inch lifted 97 taco. What exactly is regearing? None of the shops that I got quotes from talked about regearing.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #10

[QUOTE=chipnoreo;6876725]Ben, you don't even get stuck on your stock setup with bald tires . magic!

I got stuck last week. 32k+ miles and im still on the tires i bought the truck on when it was new. haha.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcuerdo View Post
I do appreciate the advice, my neighboor has a 4 inch lift on his 08 taco. it looked ok. I was going with three main brands, b&s, pro comp, and king. (with fox shocks all the way around)

I mainly enjoy the look of it, and I do not really have a max price range. I just wanted to get peoples opinion price wise. My father also had a 6 inch lifted 97 taco. What exactly is regearing? None of the shops that I got quotes from talked about regearing.
If money wasnt an issue, id get king resi shocks all around and dakar leafs. Also, total chaos upper control arms. Youll probably need these to get an alignment. Id stick with my nitto terra grapplers for tires. If you get extended travel shocks, youll need extended brake lines too. Do some research on here. Lift info has been beat half to death.

Regearing is changing the gears in the rear differential to get the proper gear ratio for the engine to wheel power converstion. Search for more info on this too.