Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Alaska

Notices

Ask an Alaskan...

Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #41
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKoma907 View Post
Alaska will welcome almost anyone... unless they're from Texas. We gotta hassle them a little bit.
Well shit, i was just about to ask if i can move there.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #42
navysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shednavysealboy93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11 Bang Bang Infantry
Name: Zach
navysealboy93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKoma907 View Post
High speed low drag...?
lol yeah man. Seriously though I gotta spend some time out that way in the future.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 AM   #43
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
boom! right off the bat - general alaskan feelings toward sarah palin?
IMHO...she was doing good as Governor...but then McCain f'ed it all up by bringing her in on the VP ticket...she wasn't ready for that level of politics and I pretty much hate McCain for pulling that crap...subsequently she went all Hollywood and I lost most of my respect for her.

Best I can say at this point is I guess she's helping draw tourism to the state which quite a few folks up here count on for their income.

I think she could have done much more for the people if she had moved slower and not been drawn into the national spot light overnight.

Quote:
you ever been to that chocolate factory in anchorage? i went to alaska when i was like 13 and i remember how bad ass that place was.
Alaska Wild Berry Products...my wife loves that place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamericle View Post
i'm headed to Ft. Richardson in June so i have two questions...will i need a block heater? and is Eagle River a good place to look for a house to rent?
If you have a garage, a block heater is not a necessity in Anchorage or the Matsu Valley. Few places away from home to plug in your vehicle in this area. If you don't have a garage, then I'd install a block heater. It's not Fairbanks, but negative single digits (fahrenheit) overnight aren't unusual.

Eagle River is a beautiful area. Home prices in Anchorage and Eagle River are kinda high. I bought in Palmer for that very reason and commute to Elmendorf AFB (aka Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson or JBER). I'm fortunate my schedule worked out with another guy who lives in Palmer, so we carpool to cut down on vehicle miles and fuel expenses. It's about a 50 minute commute on average from the "Valley" to Anchorage. Last figure I heard was 70% of MatSu Valley residents commute to Anchorage to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantac09 View Post
were the alaskans aware that i started the 'ask a ____' threads?
Yes...gotta give credit to my Canadian neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
they're still pissed that they are the second biggest state.
Truth hurts!

And I'm down with participating in this thread.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #44
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Is it true to kiss an alaskan you have to rub noses and not do the lip touch thing....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #45
lamericle is on a distinguished road

Army: Jump master, Pathfinder, Master Breacher, EMT
Name: keagan
lamericle's Tacoma Gallery
Is Verizon a good cell phone service around Anchorage or is there something better?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #46
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is Verizon a good cell phone service around Anchorage or is there something better?
I don't recall seeing any Verizon offices/stores up here. I believe the verizon phone will work, but is not locally supported.

I've been with AT&T my 10 years here. Decent priced package and fairly reliable coverage. Kept it because family in lower 48 are on AT&T. I am also on a discount US Air Force employee plan that kept the cost of phones for my family of four at a fair price.

From my experience, ACS (Alaska Communication Systems) has the best coverage in Alaska; this from being in remote locations where I didn't have a signal and friend on ACS did.

Others to check out are GCI, and MTA (Matanuska Telephone Association).

I'm in no way an authority on this and others may have a different opinion and be able to speak to the smart phone coverage....we have not upgraded to smart phones yet,...probably will this summer.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #47
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
Is it true to kiss an alaskan you have to rub noses and not do the lip touch thing....
Depends on which Alaskan you are kissing..some you may not even wanna rub noses with.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #48
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Once I move back to CO, can I still answer questions here? lol
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #49
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1mcc View Post
Depends on which Alaskan you are kissing..some you may not even wanna rub noses with.
Once again the truth hurts!

Quote:
Once I move back to CO, can I still answer questions here? lol
I motion we keep you on retainer as a consultant on all things Kodiak and/or Coast Guard in AK related.

Will someone please second the motion?...

I mean, what the helll...RyanBouteen...almost sneaks by as Canadian....
Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #50
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be...dare I say...we are seeing Break-Up?

I'll step out on that limb and risk the disappointment, but for my own mental wellness, I'm gonna say we're seeing the early stages of Break-Up.

We'll probably get one more dump of snow...but it'll be the here today gone tomorrow variety...I hope! I'm ready for Summer.

42F/5C outside my kitchen window.

Time to buy that Nenana Ice Classic ticket!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #51

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
I'll step out on that limb and risk the disappointment, but for my own mental wellness, I'm gonna say we're seeing the early stages of Break-Up.

We'll probably get one more dump of snow...but it'll be the here today gone tomorrow variety...I hope! I'm ready for Summer.

42F/5C outside my kitchen window.

Time to buy that Nenana Ice Classic ticket!
In 09 on Kodiak we got our biggest snow of the year in the middle April..lol I don't have my fingers crossed for spring just yet!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #52
Chief Pal Guy -- NOT Sir

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In 09 on Kodiak we got our biggest snow of the year in the middle April..lol I don't have my fingers crossed for spring just yet!
Yeah...I remember that one. We had a C5 stuck in Kodiak one April...I remember the pictures of about 3 feet of snow on top of the wings. I know I'm stepping out there...but I still get this feeling of wanting Winter to be over every March...10 years now and it's the same every year.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #53

Law Enforcement:
They've had a few bigger planes over here...not sure if it was a C5 or not but it was huge.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #54
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
rumor has it verizon is coming up here in the near future> just like every thing else> seeing is believing. I hope so cause competition is great for lower rates.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #55
charles will become famous soon enough
Army:
Name: Charles
charles's Tacoma Gallery
I think he means the alaska wildberry factory
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #56
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
I think he means the alaska wildberry factory
its funny i just clicked on this thread for the first time since asking when you answered that. when you reply to a question from that far back, use the quote button over here on the right to give a frame of reference to what your answering. . . . .what time is it in alaska right now?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #57
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its funny i just clicked on this thread for the first time since asking when you answered that. when you reply to a question from that far back, use the quote button over here on the right to give a frame of reference to what your answering. . . . .what time is it in alaska right now?
alaska is 4 hours behind east coast
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #58
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
I think verizon owns ACS. So your verizon phones work on all ACS towers up here. But that's just what I heard from a few people, I'm att so I can't verify.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #59
TAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
TAKoma907's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingo View Post
I think verizon owns ACS. So your verizon phones work on all ACS towers up here. But that's just what I heard from a few people, I'm att so I can't verify.
Im pretty sure Verizon bums service off ACS towers. So they get the same coverage.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #60
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
I find it extremely amusing to see how many people don't know shit about alaska lol. People almost think we're aliens