Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Alaska

Notices

Engine Block Heater Need?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
07tacomagirl is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
07tacomagirl's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Block Heater Need?

Hey Alaskan Tacoma owners! I'm going to be moving to Anchorage at the end of the year, and was wondering if there is any need to install an engine block heater. I plan to find a place with a garage, but that's not a guarantee. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! The block heater probably isn't a bad idea and the factory one is a very simple install. There is a port on the backside of the engine block that the factory block heater screws into.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
Consider an oil heater as well or first if you're worried about your engine lasting. The block heater is nice but not a necessity in Anchorage, farther north sure. It doesn't really do much good for your oil though and when it's cold and thick is when you're engine is going to suffer. Coolant doesn't lubricate your engine, and cold thick oil doesn't do much better. I ran both on my previous taco and will install both again on this new one I have before winter.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome! I live up in northern Canada

I use my block heater up here throughout the winter, but truth be told, with synthetic in the engine, I've seen it start with zero issues in -20, colder then that I usually plugged it in
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
sg4506 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
sg4506's Tacoma Gallery
Go over to Kendal Toyota on 6th and Gambel and ask them about the "Fairbanks package" it's a block heater, oil pan heater, and battery heater. Absolutely worth it. Truck warms up in 3 minutes in the dead of winter and starts up really easy.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
A block heater in Anchorage really isn't necessary. I never had one on my previous vehicles and they start fine in the cold, just be sure to let it properly warm up before driving away. I have a battery warmer, and that helps a bit. But I would switch to synthetic oil and call it good. I'm planning on doing that my next oil change.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Ex-Texan, found a bigger state
BearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearB8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Handsome
BearB8's Tacoma Gallery
If you are merely worried about being able to start in the morning just switch to 0-20W synthetic and you won't have a problem. If you are more concerned about longevity and wear and tear than still switch to synthetic and add a block heater/oil pan heater. I think you can get a block heater from Kendall for under $40 and the install is super easy (don't let the dealership charge you $400 plus for the Fairbanks package). I am in ANC once a month and I can help with the install if you need.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
07tacomagirl is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
07tacomagirl's Tacoma Gallery
I already run synthetic oil, and luckily found a place with a heated garage. I will be coming up in the middle of December, so hopefully the first couple of weeks will go well! Thanks for all the advice. I am looking to do some work on my Tacoma (probably a leveling kit or short lift and new wheels/tires), so any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! A heated garage is all you need. It was -6 today when I started my truck up and it does just fine. Turns over kind of slow, but it starts every time. I hope you have driven in the snow/ice before