Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Alaska

Notices

Alcan Drive Mid/Late December

Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Alcan Drive Mid/Late December

Okay, relocating to Kodiak, Alaska sometime this month - pretty much weather dependent, on no real time-frame at the moment.

Keep in mind that I am in the absolute first stages in planning this trip right now.

Planning on taking the Alcan, then taking the Port Lions Ferry to Kodiak. At this point in time, I don't envision towing a trailer. Cap will be on the truck, and bed will be loaded with all of my essential possessions. Selling most of my furniture, before I leave, not worth the hassle of trying to transport it such a great distance.

Truck has four new BFG A/Ts on it, with a new OME Suspension Lift. Front brake rotors/pads were recently replaced as well as oil. Overall, truck is in great condition for the drive. 55W HID retro, so night time lighting will not be an issue - although I don't plan on driving at night. Will be traveling with a full size NEW spare as well as tools, fluids, etc.

Questions ------

Should I think about installing a block heater, as well as purchasing a battery blanket as well?

Fabricating a radiator/grille shroud that's removable to maximize heater output?

Changing anti-freeze w/lower freeze point and higher concentration?

Chains?

Suggestions welcome,
Jake
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
It would be handy to bring some chains just in case. As far as block heater...Kodiak is pretty mild temperature wise, but it would not hurt to install one. I don't have on on mine, just a battery warmer that I rarely use. As far as the other stuff goes, I'm not familiar with that so I do not know. You say you won't be driving much at night...Remember it is dark until late in the morning and in the early evening so you will be glad you have those HIDs.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
no need, for block heater, no need for blanket for battery, no need to change antifreeze, no need for a special shroud. bring extra gas can, extra cash for gas when going through canada> assuming you have no DUI's you should be fine to get through canada.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
I did a ALCAN drive Dec 27 2010 heres a link that might interest you.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...ka-tacoma.html
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed5thToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
5thToy's Tacoma Gallery
I hit temps of -30 t0 -40 through the alcan and was glad I had a block heater and battery heater on the truck. The hotels along the way have outlets for you to use.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
bring extra gas can, extra cash for gas when going through canada
X2
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thToy View Post
I did a ALCAN drive Dec 27 2010 heres a link that might interest you.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...ka-tacoma.html
Excellent thread, as well as breath taking photos.

Wish I could just pack up the truck and leave tomorrow - unfortunately it's just not that simple.

Was contemplating taking the ferry from Bellingham, although it seems as though the earliest that I would arrive in Kodiak would be the 15th of January. Pollock A Season starts January 10th.

Will keep everyone posted on progress/plan.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Oldie but a Goodie
Russellstiltskin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russtifer
Russellstiltskin's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck on your journey! Like was said, Kodiak is pretty temperate being an Island. Though it probably gets fairly cold still, just not the negative temps you hear about on the mainland. As for the drive up, my father and other "old timers" used to, and still do, use cardboard across the front end to protect the radiator's functionality. I assume it works, otherwise it wouldn't be widely used in the deeper/darker/colder areas of AK/CA. I drove my '99 up and down in cold temps and never bothered with it. Maybe someone can explain
It's relevance with newer model vehicles? Times I see it in use, it's usually some Old Model (80s). vehicles.