1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alcan Drive Mid/Late December

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jeverich, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Okay, relocating to Kodiak, Alaska sometime this month - pretty much weather dependent, on no real time-frame at the moment.

Keep in mind that I am in the absolute first stages in planning this trip right now.

Planning on taking the Alcan, then taking the Port Lions Ferry to Kodiak. At this point in time, I don't envision towing a trailer. Cap will be on the truck, and bed will be loaded with all of my essential possessions. Selling most of my furniture, before I leave, not worth the hassle of trying to transport it such a great distance.

Truck has four new BFG A/Ts on it, with a new OME Suspension Lift. Front brake rotors/pads were recently replaced as well as oil. Overall, truck is in great condition for the drive. 55W HID retro, so night time lighting will not be an issue - although I don't plan on driving at night. Will be traveling with a full size NEW spare as well as tools, fluids, etc.

Questions ------

Should I think about installing a block heater, as well as purchasing a battery blanket as well?

Fabricating a radiator/grille shroud that's removable to maximize heater output?

Changing anti-freeze w/lower freeze point and higher concentration?

Chains?

Suggestions welcome,
    Jake

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    It would be handy to bring some chains just in case. As far as block heater...Kodiak is pretty mild temperature wise, but it would not hurt to install one. I don't have on on mine, just a battery warmer that I rarely use. As far as the other stuff goes, I'm not familiar with that so I do not know. You say you won't be driving much at night...Remember it is dark until late in the morning and in the early evening so you will be glad you have those HIDs.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    no need, for block heater, no need for blanket for battery, no need to change antifreeze, no need for a special shroud. bring extra gas can, extra cash for gas when going through canada> assuming you have no DUI's you should be fine to get through canada.

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    5thToy

5thToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks California
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD OR
  5. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    5thToy

5thToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks California
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD OR
    I hit temps of -30 t0 -40 through the alcan and was glad I had a block heater and battery heater on the truck. The hotels along the way have outlets for you to use.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    X2

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Excellent thread, as well as breath taking photos.

Wish I could just pack up the truck and leave tomorrow - unfortunately it's just not that simple.

Was contemplating taking the ferry from Bellingham, although it seems as though the earliest that I would arrive in Kodiak would be the 15th of January. Pollock A Season starts January 10th.

Will keep everyone posted on progress/plan.

8. Nov 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    Good luck on your journey! Like was said, Kodiak is pretty temperate being an Island. Though it probably gets fairly cold still, just not the negative temps you hear about on the mainland. As for the drive up, my father and other "old timers" used to, and still do, use cardboard across the front end to protect the radiator's functionality. I assume it works, otherwise it wouldn't be widely used in the deeper/darker/colder areas of AK/CA. I drove my '99 up and down in cold temps and never bothered with it. Maybe someone can explain
    It's relevance with newer model vehicles? Times I see it in use, it's usually some Old Model (80s). vehicles.

Products Discussed in

To Top