1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alaska BS thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by benbacher, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Aug 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    I hear you on the HAM radios. I know they're great but I know nothing about them. And honestly, my main use for the CB is hearing weather and being able to chat with someone I'm driving with on a trail. I'll look into the HAM stuff closer though.

As far as cable, I bought 20' Of Ancor RG-8X and ran it. Ended up cutting a little over a foot off so I've got ~ 18.5' and I soldered the coax connections on. This is the first time I've soldered anything though. But I'm getting the right resistance readings so I think I'm good there.

I went to a high school paring lot to tune so nothing near me. And my antenna is in the back corner of my bed too. I know it's not the best spot but like I said, I'm not too worried about getting super long range.

I'm using an SWR meter from a friend but I don't know if its working right. It feels really cheap. I have a nice $110 SWR meter but its on our boat in Whittier so I gotta wait to try that one out.

And my radio is grounded to a screw behind my dash trim. It's not the best connection but it worked for my light bars so I figured it'd be good enough. I though the antenna ground was way more important than the radio ground. If it wasn't good, wouldn't it just not turn on? Sorry for my inexperience haha. I sell VHF radios all day but I never run into tuning issues with the stuff I sell.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Aug 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Looks like what I did this weekend. Fished too but it was very slow. He about 5 hook ups but they kept spitting the new hooks I bought. Switched to my old ones and landed two small rainbows. Sow other than that.

C29E654B-844B-469D-9C73-7645861D77C2-256_5b16a5f19ea8890e86c901d501a46ee18dae5da4.jpg

9931B8D8-E8B3-4C9E-9A88-0A92DA20B0E5-256_2d44fc9f385975c61c4d7cabadee233addb26d3c.jpg

6A4946CC-E7D7-4949-B8C9-E50730EB5D90-256_725413a68e41bf805cd38c9141523a5da5aa1ed9.jpg

3. Aug 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Hmm.

Make sure that screw is going directly to metal. Honestly, I think that you'd be better off to run a ground directly to your batteries (-) post, and power from your (+). You may be picking up interference from something else that is grounded to your dash.

Ancor is good marine quality cable, so I wouldn't suspect that as an issue. There are definitely some good references out there on how to solder PL-259 ends, it's pretty crucial that it's done right.

Have any excess cable? I know that coiling it in a tight loop causes RF to be reflected, better to coil it in a figure 8, instead.

Keep the faith.. I got super frustrated and spent a lot of time/research on getting mine to work. Pretty much got to the point where I got it to a level of functionality and had to move on.

And yeah, that bed mounting location is going to reflect a ton of RF back to your antenna. That may be the source of a lot of your issues.

But, with 7.5 I'd suspect a ground/short is your issue. Don't even try to transmit until you get that SWR to at least a 2:1... you can do some serious damage to your radio.

I'd just start eliminating possible faults one at a time; starting with the easiest ones.

Good luck!

4. Aug 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    I've been meaning to set up a bus common - and + bus bar or fuse panel somewhere in the cab for my lights and now radio, I just haven't been too interested in running more wires haha. I'll throw a deep cycle on my floor and wire it directly to that and see if it helps, but I'm with you on having a short somewhere. I'm almost certain it's in the mount at this point. I've been readin all kinds of stuff online about testing for resistance in the mount, stud, and coax/connections and everything is reading good except the mount. I might try making a ground strap for it and putting it on another spot to see if that helps before sanding it down.

5. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
    We will too.

6. Aug 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    Hey guys... got my foxes and TCs on the front this weekend (thanks Jeremiah and Russ!)

If anyone wants my stock coil overs with the revtec spacers ill sell em to ya for $100 total. Might even help throw em on. There is also a top plate spacer for a little added lift... so your truck will be taller than Jeremiah's if you run 285s ;)

Also have the stock UCAs... but someone might have stabbed one of the ball joint covers with a knife so that will need to be replaced. If anyone wants em i am giving them away.

PM me if interested

7. Aug 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Syntonization

Syntonization tAKoma Godfather

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD Sport dbl cab long bed
    Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 295/70/17. Tuff Wheels 17x8 -13 Offset. Front Suspension: Fox Racing 2.5 Series Extended travel shocks w/ Eibach coil-overs, Total Chaos UCA's. Rear: Dakar Leaf Springs, Fox Racing 2.5 Series Long travel shocks. Superbump Stops. Cab mount frame chop. BruteFab frame sliders. Pelfreybuilt Front bumper, Hi-Clearance Rear w/swingarm and table. Color matched BRM! Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR. Morimoto 5Five FX-R Stage III HID Projector retrofit 6000K. Rigid DOT Fog lights, 20" light bar, dually ditch lights. 6500 lm LED underbody rock lights. Fog lights on any time MOD. K&N 77 Cold Air Intake. Flowmaster American Thunder CAT back dual exhaust. CompuStar 2 way remote start w/ 2 stage alarm and keyless entry. White under hood LED strip lighting, with automatic hood pin on/off switch. Dynamat & Dynaliner sound deadening in doors & cab. Kenwood DDX574BH Head unit with Maestro OBDII interface. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5 ch amp with Punch Component tweeters, woofers & sub. USB charging/data ports in blank plug under head unit. Instrument cluster, red and white LED's replacement. Backlit 4x4 selector switch. Anytime on/off Rear-view mirror back up camera. Uniden PRO520XL CB w/ co phased ATT's. Toyota Hood Protector. Coverking Neoprene black w/ red center seat covers. Color matched Devil Horns grill emblem.
    Heeyyyyy now, ouch! ;)

8. Aug 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Natidog

Natidog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Offroad White DCSB
    FX-R III retro Brute Force sliders Custom bed mount light bar
    I see the stabber has admitted his guilt...

How could you Jer?

9. Aug 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Syntonization

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 295/70/17. Tuff Wheels 17x8 -13 Offset. Front Suspension: Fox Racing 2.5 Series Extended travel shocks w/ Eibach coil-overs, Total Chaos UCA's. Rear: Dakar Leaf Springs, Fox Racing 2.5 Series Long travel shocks. Superbump Stops. Cab mount frame chop. BruteFab frame sliders. Pelfreybuilt Front bumper, Hi-Clearance Rear w/swingarm and table. Color matched BRM! Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR. Morimoto 5Five FX-R Stage III HID Projector retrofit 6000K. Rigid DOT Fog lights, 20" light bar, dually ditch lights. 6500 lm LED underbody rock lights. Fog lights on any time MOD. K&N 77 Cold Air Intake. Flowmaster American Thunder CAT back dual exhaust. CompuStar 2 way remote start w/ 2 stage alarm and keyless entry. White under hood LED strip lighting, with automatic hood pin on/off switch. Dynamat & Dynaliner sound deadening in doors & cab. Kenwood DDX574BH Head unit with Maestro OBDII interface. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5 ch amp with Punch Component tweeters, woofers & sub. USB charging/data ports in blank plug under head unit. Instrument cluster, red and white LED's replacement. Backlit 4x4 selector switch. Anytime on/off Rear-view mirror back up camera. Uniden PRO520XL CB w/ co phased ATT's. Toyota Hood Protector. Coverking Neoprene black w/ red center seat covers. Color matched Devil Horns grill emblem.
    It was really quite easy to be honest. I just removed my beautiful knife from its sheath, and proceeded to slice the shit out of it! Also, I was say Heeyyyyy now, to her inside poke at being taller than my truck

10. Aug 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    :p

11. Aug 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Well I'm pretty sure it's either a bad ground in my mount or I have a short between my mount and my antenna stud. This is too much for me to handle right now haha

12. Aug 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Natidog

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Psh. Lies.

13. Aug 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Luke did you get my text, not sure if you android fells get group texts

14. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    Syntonization

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    We get them! Jeez, don't discriminate against those of us who are nerdier than you Ben :p

15. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    Syntonization

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Mike, do you have your antenna grounded to the frame of your truck? Unless you did a cab roof mount, it's essential for you to run an external ground to the frame since the bed is nonmetallic.

16. Aug 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    Nice, ya I fished too. Caught a couple of pinks and a couple trout.

17. Aug 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Well it's hooked between the bed and my tailgate latch on the driver side. My first gen sure is metallic too. I don't know where to attach a ground wire on my mount. I think the portion of the stud is touching the mount which is causing a short. But I don't know how to fix the issue other than drilling the hole out bigger.

18. Aug 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    Natidog

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Uh. Nope. I didn't get a text...

19. Aug 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    Syntonization

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Can you take a pic of the antenna, its mount, and how it's grounded, and send them to me? Or post them here is fine too

20. Aug 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Text sent

Products Discussed in