Frozen Dude
frozenarcticguy is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Tate
frozenarcticguy's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thank you, I'm thinking I'm just going to buy a new one, oh well
Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #4882
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Depends... There are a LOT of variables to tuning a CB. I spent about $100 while tuning mine, and it's still not quite where I want it. I highly suggest you look into getting your HAM license and getting a 2 Meter mobile in your rig. Seriously. CBs gonna be just about worthless once you get about 2 miles away from anyone else. Don't get me wrong, they're great to have when you're running a trail, but if you're putting one in to call for help when you're alone. Forget it. Tried to convince Ben when I was at his house in July.. think I might have converted him..

Asshole comments done with...

What coax cable are you using? Usually, the low quality stuff with pre-molded PL-259 ends is junk.

Where is your radio grounded? The ground on your radio is much more important than the one on your mount. Don't scratch off that powder coating just yet.

Where is your antenna located? I've got mine on the rear corner of my bed; which just about the worst location for getting a low SWR - but works the best for me. Not trying to get any range with it, that's why I have a 2 Meter (75+ Miles).

Where are you tuning your antenna? In the open? Away from any obstructions, that will reflect RF?

You using your SWR meter correctly?
Jake. Everyone is now dumber having read this post. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Just kidding, you definitely converted me. Thinking through a lot of different things as of late, the looming build being one of them. But ham is on that list as well. I'll be doing it at some point for sure.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #4883
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depends... There are a LOT of variables to tuning a CB. I spent about $100 while tuning mine, and it's still not quite where I want it. I highly suggest you look into getting your HAM license and getting a 2 Meter mobile in your rig. Seriously. CBs gonna be just about worthless once you get about 2 miles away from anyone else. Don't get me wrong, they're great to have when you're running a trail, but if you're putting one in to call for help when you're alone. Forget it. Tried to convince Ben when I was at his house in July.. think I might have converted him..

Asshole comments done with...

What coax cable are you using? Usually, the low quality stuff with pre-molded PL-259 ends is junk.

Where is your radio grounded? The ground on your radio is much more important than the one on your mount. Don't scratch off that powder coating just yet.

Where is your antenna located? I've got mine on the rear corner of my bed; which just about the worst location for getting a low SWR - but works the best for me. Not trying to get any range with it, that's why I have a 2 Meter (75+ Miles).

Where are you tuning your antenna? In the open? Away from any obstructions, that will reflect RF?

You using your SWR meter correctly?
I hear you on the HAM radios. I know they're great but I know nothing about them. And honestly, my main use for the CB is hearing weather and being able to chat with someone I'm driving with on a trail. I'll look into the HAM stuff closer though.

As far as cable, I bought 20' Of Ancor RG-8X and ran it. Ended up cutting a little over a foot off so I've got ~ 18.5' and I soldered the coax connections on. This is the first time I've soldered anything though. But I'm getting the right resistance readings so I think I'm good there.

I went to a high school paring lot to tune so nothing near me. And my antenna is in the back corner of my bed too. I know it's not the best spot but like I said, I'm not too worried about getting super long range.

I'm using an SWR meter from a friend but I don't know if its working right. It feels really cheap. I have a nice $110 SWR meter but its on our boat in Whittier so I gotta wait to try that one out.

And my radio is grounded to a screw behind my dash trim. It's not the best connection but it worked for my light bars so I figured it'd be good enough. I though the antenna ground was way more important than the radio ground. If it wasn't good, wouldn't it just not turn on? Sorry for my inexperience haha. I sell VHF radios all day but I never run into tuning issues with the stuff I sell.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #4884
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
Did some camping this weekend.
Looks like what I did this weekend. Fished too but it was very slow. He about 5 hook ups but they kept spitting the new hooks I bought. Switched to my old ones and landed two small rainbows. Sow other than that.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #4885
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I hear you on the HAM radios. I know they're great but I know nothing about them. And honestly, my main use for the CB is hearing weather and being able to chat with someone I'm driving with on a trail. I'll look into the HAM stuff closer though.

As far as cable, I bought 20' Ancor of RG-8X and ran it. Ended up cutting a little over a foot off so I've got ~ 18.5' and I soldered the coax connections on. This is the first time I've soldered anything though. But I'm getting the right resistance readings so I think I'm good there.

I went to a high school paring lot to tune so nothing near me. And my antenna is in the back corner of my bed too. I know it's not the best spot but like I said, I'm not too worried about getting super long range.

I'm using an SWR meter from a friend but I don't know if its working right. It feels really cheap. I have a nice $110 SWR meter but its on our boat in Whittier so I gotta wait to try that one out.

And my radio is grounded to a screw behind my dash trim. It's not the best connection but it worked for my light bars so I figured it'd be good enough. I though the antenna ground was way more important than the radio ground. If it wasn't good, wouldn't it just not turn on? Sorry for my inexperience haha. I sell VHF radios all day but I never run into tuning issues with the stuff I sell.
Hmm.

Make sure that screw is going directly to metal. Honestly, I think that you'd be better off to run a ground directly to your batteries (-) post, and power from your (+). You may be picking up interference from something else that is grounded to your dash.

Ancor is good marine quality cable, so I wouldn't suspect that as an issue. There are definitely some good references out there on how to solder PL-259 ends, it's pretty crucial that it's done right.

Have any excess cable? I know that coiling it in a tight loop causes RF to be reflected, better to coil it in a figure 8, instead.

Keep the faith.. I got super frustrated and spent a lot of time/research on getting mine to work. Pretty much got to the point where I got it to a level of functionality and had to move on.

And yeah, that bed mounting location is going to reflect a ton of RF back to your antenna. That may be the source of a lot of your issues.

But, with 7.5 I'd suspect a ground/short is your issue. Don't even try to transmit until you get that SWR to at least a 2:1... you can do some serious damage to your radio.

I'd just start eliminating possible faults one at a time; starting with the easiest ones.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #4886

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm.

Make sure that screw is going directly to metal. Honestly, I think that you'd be better off to run a ground directly to your batteries (-) post, and power from your (+). You may be picking up interference from something else that is grounded to your dash.

Ancor is good marine quality cable, so I wouldn't suspect that as an issue. There are definitely some good references out there on how to solder PL-259 ends, it's pretty crucial that it's done right.

Have any excess cable? I know that coiling it in a tight loop causes RF to be reflected, better to coil it in a figure 8, instead.

Keep the faith.. I got super frustrated and spent a lot of time/research on getting mine to work. Pretty much got to the point where I got it to a level of functionality and had to move on.

And yeah, that bed mounting location is going to reflect a ton of RF back to your antenna. That may be the source of a lot of your issues.

But, with 7.5 I'd suspect a ground/short is your issue. Don't even try to transmit until you get that SWR to at least a 2:1... you can do some serious damage to your radio.

I'd just start eliminating possible faults one at a time; starting with the easiest ones.

Good luck!
I've been meaning to set up a bus common - and + bus bar or fuse panel somewhere in the cab for my lights and now radio, I just haven't been too interested in running more wires haha. I'll throw a deep cycle on my floor and wire it directly to that and see if it helps, but I'm with you on having a short somewhere. I'm almost certain it's in the mount at this point. I've been readin all kinds of stuff online about testing for resistance in the mount, stud, and coax/connections and everything is reading good except the mount. I might try making a ground strap for it and putting it on another spot to see if that helps before sanding it down.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #4887
Oldie but a Goodie
Russellstiltskin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russtifer
Russellstiltskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Is that a Sunday? I think we'll be there that Saturday.
We will too.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #4888
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys... got my foxes and TCs on the front this weekend (thanks Jeremiah and Russ!)

If anyone wants my stock coil overs with the revtec spacers ill sell em to ya for $100 total. Might even help throw em on. There is also a top plate spacer for a little added lift... so your truck will be taller than Jeremiah's if you run 285s

Also have the stock UCAs... but someone might have stabbed one of the ball joint covers with a knife so that will need to be replaced. If anyone wants em i am giving them away.

PM me if interested
Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #4890
Natidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really nice

Name: Luke
Natidog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntonization View Post
Heeyyyyy now, ouch!
I see the stabber has admitted his guilt...

How could you Jer?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #4892
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was really quite easy to be honest. I just removed my beautiful knife from its sheath, and proceeded to slice the shit out of it! Also, I was say Heeyyyyy now, to her inside poke at being taller than my truck
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #4893

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm pretty sure it's either a bad ground in my mount or I have a short between my mount and my antenna stud. This is too much for me to handle right now haha
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #4894
Natidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really nice

Natidog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was really quite easy to be honest. I just removed my beautiful knife from its sheath, and proceeded to slice the shit out of it! Also, I was say Heeyyyyy now, to her inside poke at being taller than my truck
Psh. Lies.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #4895
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Luke did you get my text, not sure if you android fells get group texts
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #4897
AK LED Guy
Syntonization is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: FF1 Rescue Tech (did 4 years, and changed careers)
Name: Jeremiah
Syntonization's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure it's either a bad ground in my mount or I have a short between my mount and my antenna stud. This is too much for me to handle right now haha
Mike, do you have your antenna grounded to the frame of your truck? Unless you did a cab roof mount, it's essential for you to run an external ground to the frame since the bed is nonmetallic.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #4898
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Looks like what I did this weekend. Fished too but it was very slow. He about 5 hook ups but they kept spitting the new hooks I bought. Switched to my old ones and landed two small rainbows. Sow other than that.

Nice, ya I fished too. Caught a couple of pinks and a couple trout.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #4899

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mike, do you have your antenna grounded to the frame of your truck? Unless you did a cab roof mount, it's essential for you to run an external ground to the frame since the bed is nonmetallic.
Well it's hooked between the bed and my tailgate latch on the driver side. My first gen sure is metallic too. I don't know where to attach a ground wire on my mount. I think the portion of the stud is touching the mount which is causing a short. But I don't know how to fix the issue other than drilling the hole out bigger.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #4900

Natidog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Luke did you get my text, not sure if you android fells get group texts
Uh. Nope. I didn't get a text...

Products Discussed in this Thread