Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Alaska

Notices

Moving to Anchorage!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
zane8000 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
zane8000's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to Anchorage!

i currently live in germany and i just got orders to Elmendorf so i will be in the area next june/july time frame. i havent been assigned a sponsor yet so i had a few questions i hoped you guys could answer. i will also take any other information you are willing to part with. but where is the best place to live? best interent/satellite provider?(i've been without cable and good internet for nearly 4 years now) best cell provider etc. just any information you would give someone moving to anchorage
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Hey dude! Congrats and happy thanksgiving! We're getting our 4x4 community up a d running so you're coming at a great time. As far as your questions I'll do my best.

As far as the best place to live you'll probably want to be on the east side of town since you'll be in elmendorf. Unfortunately the east side doesn't have that great of a reputation. If I were to move over that way, I'd try and find something off of Elmore since its now a straight shot to the main road that gets you to the eastside. Your commute that way will be about 20-25 minutes. Still not bad.
As far as Internet /satellite some people use dish, but I'd say about80% have GCI. They hold a monopoly on the market. Same goes for cel phones, though, I personally hate GCI enough to not have cable and my cel phone is through AT&T. Iprefer it that way.

As far as other info, you're coming at a beautiful time of the year so be prepared to get outside a lot because winters are long and you'll want to feel like you balanced it with a good active summer. It's a wonderful place to live. I'm never moving away. Look us up when you get here! Lots of trucks to help you move!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
What part of Germany are you coming from?? Enjoy what you can of summer here and there? I think Ben covered a lot but if you have more questions just ask.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
What part of Germany are you coming from?? Enjoy what you can of summer here and there? I think Ben covered a lot but if you have more questions just ask.

i'm coming from ramstein i've been here since feb 09.i seen you had AF under your avatar. what does FMO give you in alaska. out here in germany they give you fridge, stove, washer and dryer if you need it. i'm just trying to plan on what all i will need to purchase.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Air Force:
also how is registering a vehicle in alaska? while looking for a second vehicle i seen ads that said tags good until 2014 and stuff like that. is there an inspection that your vehicle has to go through? we have one out here and its a PITA there are so may regulations your wheels cant stick out past fenders at all no oil or anything can be dripping or residue under the car at all during inspection or you fail, etc. is there anything like that up there. i also bought a new jeep out here i should be good as far as avoiding the state tax but does anyone know the regulations here.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
No inspections here, they had emissions but they jus got rid of that in april-ish i think? It was right around the time i got here (may). Some people will mention their tags in ads on CL, thats just typical vehicle registration, the sticker on your license plate.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
I will find out about FMO. I'm not sure they give anything because you get a full shipment for most people and the plugs are the same.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
I will find out about FMO. I'm not sure they give anything because you get a full shipment for most people and the plugs are the same.
i figured as much since its not technically an overseas base. i got rid of everyhting i had on the way out here in 09 so i guess i better start saving and use my DLA for appliances and not for mods.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My neighbor has a brand new set of stackable washer and dryer. I think he wanted 700 for it. Good deal. Let us know what we can scour Craigslist for
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
My neighbor has a brand new set of stackable washer and dryer. I think he wanted 700 for it. Good deal. Let us know what we can scour Craigslist for
i may have to take ya'll up on that when it gets a little bit closer i'm still about 6 months out
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome back to the states!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
langdot is on a distinguished road
Name: Tom
langdot's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I'm moving down from Fairbanks to take a job at the University in Anchorage. What parts of town should I be looking to get a place in?

I'm done with the dry cabin thing so I'm probably looking to live in city with a short commute, but would prioritize being in a fun part of town. Anyone else use their taco to haul water?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Purveyor of Fun

Only haul water when it rains. As far as fun areas of town, I guess it depends on your idea of fun. If you're working at the university I'd look at the dimond area. Midtown would be closer but it's not exactly prime real estate. Lots of low income housing. Dimond to Raspberry would be plenty close with easy access to the highway thatll take you to work and it's beautiful on the west side. You could do turnagain depending on your income and get a really nice neughborhood. Mostly older folks that care about their property. Really just steer clear of boniface and muldoon and you'll be alright haha
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
AK LED Guy
Syntonization is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: FF1 Rescue Tech (did 4 years, and changed careers)
Name: Jeremiah
Syntonization's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zane8000 View Post
i'm coming from ramstein i've been here since feb 09.i seen you had AF under your avatar. what does FMO give you in alaska. out here in germany they give you fridge, stove, washer and dryer if you need it. i'm just trying to plan on what all i will need to purchase.
Ramstein AFB is nice, so is K-town. It's amazing how much less expensive beer was on base.