Notices

New To The Cold Place!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
RubberDucky is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 354th Communications
Name: Dillon
RubberDucky's Tacoma Gallery
New To The Cold Place!

Hey guys, just thought I would see if any other TacomaWorlders live anywhere nearby! I just got stationed up at Eielson AFB by Fairbanks last month and honestly so far I love it! My poor truck, however, does not. I got it winterized a bit and I am working on making it completely ice-proof. It was NOT a fan of starting in -40 last week even with the engine and battery heaters.

Hit me up if you live close!

Upcoming projects:

-Remote Start just arrived yesterday and I will be installing it when the rest of the parts get here

-Need winter tires when I get some more cash, not sure which ones yet and how much they will be... I would love another set of wheels for them too, but thats not too likely

-Oil pan heater. I hear its cheap and easy to install

-Warmer thermostat? The guys at the auto hobby shop recommended a warmer thermostat to make my truck warm up quicker. It gets to -50 or -60 here at times so I'd like that! However I haven't looked into it at all

-I probably need to do something about rust prevention too, just not sure what yet!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look at the hankook i-pike's for winter tires. Soft and studded. That's what you want. My buddy has them on his tundra and sold me on them for the wife's 2wd scion. That thing gets around like a champ!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Tacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG HHC 4/9 6th INF Div Scout Platoon Sgt.
Name: Ron
Tacodog's Tacoma Gallery
With remote start. Make sure your defrost is not on. You will crack your windshield that way. Trust me I know. Warm up interior first. I do not miss "today's high is -20." Lol
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good advice right there. A fun thing to do is not dust off your hood though, then run your washer fluid and see how long it takes to make a blue hole through the snow. Played that game this morning.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the great state of AK, pretty new myself and love it so far. I will be up there quite often as my sis and bro in law are stationed up there, come to think of it I saw your in Comm huh? He is your interm shirt right now TSgt Straw. Anyways when I come up I will give ya a shout we can go around and tear shit up.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacodog View Post
With remote start. Make sure your defrost is not on. You will crack your windshield that way. Trust me I know. Warm up interior first. I do not miss "today's high is -20." Lol
Too late. It cracked on the way up, but Ill definitely do that in the future to keep it from spreading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey11 View Post
Welcome to the great state of AK, pretty new myself and love it so far. I will be up there quite often as my sis and bro in law are stationed up there, come to think of it I saw your in Comm huh? He is your interm shirt right now TSgt Straw. Anyways when I come up I will give ya a shout we can go around and tear shit up.
Yeah! He's a great shirt so far. I talked to him this morning! Haha! Im a lowly dorm airman and he came to inspect my room earlier this week.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
You Can't Fix Stupid !
Smokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmokey11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Jeremy
Smokey11's Tacoma Gallery
Yep great guy been in our family over 20 years, great TSgt as well dont be afraid to bring any issues to him he will go above and beyond to help ya out.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
Balien is on a distinguished road

Balien's Tacoma Gallery
You definetely need a block heater below -20C
This one is best don't get the external pads they are crap.
http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-5128

sinthetic oil starts easier as well. Interior heater is overkill just wear a goose down jacket.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I'd look at the hankook i-pike's for winter tires. Soft and studded. That's what you want. My buddy has them on his tundra and sold me on them for the wife's 2wd scion. That thing gets around like a champ!
I don't think I can do the studded tires. Im pretty sure there are some places on base that you can't have them and I hear that there are some amazing unstudded ones out there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balien View Post
You definetely need a block heater below -20C
This one is best don't get the external pads they are crap.
http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...dproduct=-5128

sinthetic oil starts easier as well. Interior heater is overkill just wear a goose down jacket.
Already have the Block heater installed. I did it myself in California's beautiful weather! I want the oil pan heater though, I want to make it as easy as possible for my precious truck to start every morning.

Goose down jacket, huh? I will have to look into those.. However most days I will be wearing my big military jacket that is authorized in uniform. I will talk to the mechanics at our auto hobby shop some more before going with a new interior heater, I think the remote start will eliminate the need for that anyways.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Purveyor of Fun

I don't know if there's any truth to you not being able to have studs, but I highly doubt it up here. Could be wrong, just saying though. And yeah, there are some legit soft compounded tires out there, blizzaks are great, the studs are optional, and I don't need them on my truck but I can tell you that in my wife's scion xb with less than 6 inches of ground clearance, she was able to mob through a foot and a half of snow like a boss with those i-pikes. THey've got my respect for sure.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I don't know if there's any truth to you not being able to have studs, but I highly doubt it up here. Could be wrong, just saying though. And yeah, there are some legit soft compounded tires out there, blizzaks are great, the studs are optional, and I don't need them on my truck but I can tell you that in my wife's scion xb with less than 6 inches of ground clearance, she was able to mob through a foot and a half of snow like a boss with those i-pikes. THey've got my respect for sure.
Yeah I need to look into it more, but we don't get as much snow here as Anchorage from what I understand. I haven't seen any studded tires around but I'm going to start looking at what people have. I'be just been sliding a bit too much.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Oldie but a Goodie
Russellstiltskin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russtifer
Russellstiltskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDucky View Post
Hey guys, just thought I would see if any other TacomaWorlders live anywhere nearby! I just got stationed up at Eielson AFB by Fairbanks last month and honestly so far I love it! My poor truck, however, does not. I got it winterized a bit and I am working on making it completely ice-proof. It was NOT a fan of starting in -40 last week even with the engine and battery heaters.

Hit me up if you live close!

Upcoming projects:

-Remote Start just arrived yesterday and I will be installing it when the rest of the parts get here

-Need winter tires when I get some more cash, not sure which ones yet and how much they will be... I would love another set of wheels for them too, but thats not too likely

-Oil pan heater. I hear its cheap and easy to install

-Warmer thermostat? The guys at the auto hobby shop recommended a warmer thermostat to make my truck warm up quicker. It gets to -50 or -60 here at times so I'd like that! However I haven't looked into it at all

-I probably need to do something about rust prevention too, just not sure what yet!
Welcome to the REAL Alaska. Having grown up as a kid in North Pole, I'm aloud to say that most the people here in Anchorage and south are babies! haha. We have a good group here in southcentral, theres for sure a few guys in fairbanks too. They'll find u (if they havent already)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
beans426 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jose
beans426's Tacoma Gallery
you can have studs here. You just have to take them off by may (I'm pretty sure thats the month.) I had them on my taco when I first got up here. Been here at Eielson for about 2 years.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #14
172Pilot is on a distinguished road

Air Force: POL
Name: Krat
172Pilot's Tacoma Gallery
Are you still at Eielson? I'm here now as POL
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
beans426 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jose
beans426's Tacoma Gallery
yup, will be here until 2015
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #16

Haha Ill be here till 2016.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Purveyor of Fun

I'll be here til I die
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #18

I only have till 2014, we should set something up, once it finally decides to stop snowing lol, we're supposed to get 6 more inches.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #19

Yeah the snow is pretty crazy today. My Taco is currently out of commission though. I've been trying to finish my install of my remote start, on my way out of the Auto Skills Center or whatever its called the engine died and when I got it back to the dorm I saw that the oil pressure light was lit up. I just got my OBDII bluetooth adapter and I am going to check the codes when I get the adapter set up. Hopefully there isn't anything major wrong with it.

Then Ill be wrapping up the remote start and installing my new stereo. Might trying some fabrication of an in-dash Tablet holder too.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #20

Damn hopefully its nothing too serious, I have a house on base, with a bigass garage, so if you ever want to wrench on the truck lemme know.

Im going to be ordering an Aero Turbine muffler for my truck today, i have to find some one to weld it on though.