Notices

Hunting: Alaska Style

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Hunting: Alaska Style

I've been picking up hunting since I've been stationed up here. Just wanted to see if there was anyone else that is a hunter type that has some experience up here/ advice.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of learning myself. LOTS of guys I know are avid hunters so I can relay questions if you have specifics you want answered.

My goal is to get a moose next year.

If theres one thing I DO know about hunting, is you have to have a severe tolerance of cold and wet conditions hahaha. Or severe frostbite works just as well
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Did you put in for any draw hunts? Input in for 6 moose and 3 caribou hunts. Yea you have to be ready to suck it up or you will most likely not be successful. I just got a Matthews bow and a Tikka T3 super lite in 300 Win Mag for Christmas. Need to get spun up on the bow and experience with the kick of the 300 by summertime.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've hunted most of my life, but never in AK. I do want to get into it while I'm living here though.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
Did you put in for any draw hunts? Input in for 6 moose and 3 caribou hunts. Yea you have to be ready to suck it up or you will most likely not be successful. I just got a Matthews bow and a Tikka T3 super lite in 300 Win Mag for Christmas. Need to get spun up on the bow and experience with the kick of the 300 by summertime.
Sounds like you're way ahead of me. When I said next year I think I was thinking it was 2013 already. This thread actually got me thinking about all that again. First step for me is wait til the sportsmans show in march (which we should all go to together btw) and get a hunting rifle. Best deals all year there.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
A taco K is on a distinguished road
A taco K's Tacoma Gallery
Hunting Alaska Style

The first pic and second pic are of two different hunts i've been on with my Tacoma. The link is a short clip of one of those hunts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCJ6rv-L1tU
Attached Thumbnails
Hunting: Alaska Style-hunt1.jpg   Hunting: Alaska Style-hunt2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Purveyor of Fun

^thats awesome. Where's that?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
A taco K is on a distinguished road
A taco K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
^thats awesome. Where's that?
Off the Denali highway about 10 off-road miles. Probably half that as the crow flys. had to go through and retighten all the nuts and bolts after those trips. tundra is bumpy as F***
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Alright anyone have much experience in GMU 16. Want to go try and get a spring blackie. Any advice?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
I duck hunt as well as deer and sheep hunt here on kodiak and if u wana pay the big money you could come and hunt the biggest bear in the world kodiak brown bear
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #11

Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever been in the sutton/kings river area hunting bear?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Purveyor of Fun

Not me, lot of friends have though. Kings river has got some fun trails I'm told.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #13

Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone put in for any hunting draw permits for the year?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun

Was just looking at them last night. Will be putting in for next year. Missed this one.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
N8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to behold

Name: aaron
N8ivFlav's Tacoma Gallery
I got a draw tag for caribou rc566, that ones pretty much a given if u apply for it since they give out 100k tags
Old 02-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #16

Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
I should have done RC566 but I did get a caribou tag for DC481. You doing any other hunting? I'm looking to get a spring blackie.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
N8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to beholdN8ivFlav is a splendid one to behold

Name: aaron
N8ivFlav's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully if I could swing the time off from work go back home for spring bird hunting; snow geese and Canada geese, nothing like overnighting on the tundra
Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
Purveyor of Fun

Going in September to help a buddy get a moose, we get to bring our rigs
He's got a 60 series on 40's and I'll have my 35's by then
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
I have that exact same rifle. I had to put a brake on mine. Its a great rifle, just punishing to shoot. Its much better now.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #20

Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
How much did it run to get a break put on it?