Notices

Motorcycles Galore

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycles Galore

Here it is folks! A more focused discussion of all (well...nearly all) things motorized and on two wheels.

Discuss your bike, where you like to ride to get away from a rough day, etc.

Anyone ridden down to Girdwood or Seward?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Natidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really nice

Name: Luke
Natidog's Tacoma Gallery
Sweeeeet. And yes. Ridden down to Seward, Homer, all around Portage... Lot of straight riding though which makes me much more sleepy than curvies. Run up North a little ways, though I haven't gone past Denali.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan toy View Post
Here it is folks! A more focused discussion of all (well...nearly all) things motorized and on two wheels.

Discuss your bike, where you like to ride to get away from a rough day, etc.

Anyone ridden down to Girdwood or Seward?

Whittier. It was in October. And cold.

On the seward

Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Stormtrooper Corps

Do you have any insulated gloves for riding?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Natidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really niceNatidog is just really nice

Natidog's Tacoma Gallery
No... Be nice I guess, but I usually just stick my hands on the engine when I'm stopped.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan toy View Post
Do you have any insulated gloves for riding?

I got some heated gloves for Christmas this year

I have summer and winter gloves anyway though. Just have horrible circulation in my hands. Cannot keep them warm for anything regardless of how huge of mitten/glove I am wearing
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Stormtrooper Corps

Those are going to be nice!

I've had to pull off the highway going to Eagle River to warm up my throttle hand wearing summer gloves before, but that was probably because it was raining...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
AK BWAYNE
Taco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 213 SWS Security Forces
Name: John
Taco7000's Tacoma Gallery
Man I want a bike so bad now lol. You guys have me rethinking my topper this summer vs a bike. I really like the ER-6N anna and I would love to ride an all black one but Ive never seen anything like that up here. Yamaha has their new FZ8 and thats a pretty sick looking bike. an 800 obviously but its more of an upright position which makes longer rides much more comfortable and enjoyable. Thats the only thing that has me on the fence on weather or not to go with a super sport or a naked. both look insanly sexy IMO but for me theres not a bike out there that looks more aggressive or meaner than a blacked out R6 raven. But with it being a super sport Im afraid of long rides not being as fun. I never rode more than a few miles away from home or wherever we were when I was in texas so the posture issue was never a big deal but I think about a long ride like out to wasilla or south achorage and I wonder how sore I would be lol. Anyone have any input on this?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Stormtrooper Corps

Wasilla is about the farthest I can ride (from South Anchorage) without taking a break to walk around and stretch the legs. You're almost halfway to Wasilla already, so it won't be as bad.

Keep your eyes on craigslist for a chance to check one out and see how you like it!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #10

Natidog's Tacoma Gallery
I know on my naked Bike, anything over 40 mph is comfortable for long rides. The wind pressure keeps the weight of your wrists. Much colder ride though, and any rain you encounter will soak you to the bone instantly.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
AK BWAYNE
Taco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant futureTaco7000 has a brilliant future

haha yeah Idk if im ballsy enough to tackle the rain just yet. Its been awhile since ive gone out on a nice ride so if I were to get a bike id keep it around Eagle River/Anchorage for awhile and prolly wouldnt go out if it even looked like it could rain which sucks cuz it rains a lot up here. Idk well see I think I would deff take it slow and work my up. If I rode in the rain it would be around Eagle River to get a feel for the bike and how differently it handles. I've never rode in the rain but I know friends and family who have and some ahvent had problems others have had some lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
I love snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco7000 View Post
Man I want a bike so bad now lol. You guys have me rethinking my topper this summer vs a bike. I really like the ER-6N anna and I would love to ride an all black one but Ive never seen anything like that up here. Yamaha has their new FZ8 and thats a pretty sick looking bike. an 800 obviously but its more of an upright position which makes longer rides much more comfortable and enjoyable. Thats the only thing that has me on the fence on weather or not to go with a super sport or a naked. both look insanly sexy IMO but for me theres not a bike out there that looks more aggressive or meaner than a blacked out R6 raven. But with it being a super sport Im afraid of long rides not being as fun. I never rode more than a few miles away from home or wherever we were when I was in texas so the posture issue was never a big deal but I think about a long ride like out to wasilla or south achorage and I wonder how sore I would be lol. Anyone have any input on this?

there is a 2011 FZ8 on craigs for 6k right now. KBB has those listed for 6500 I think... so not a bad deal. Meannnnn lookin bike. If I wasn't so broke id consider selling mine and getting that. I know that my bike comes in all black. Good luck finding on though I was at the Kawi dealer and they said they only sold 4 2009 Er6ns in the state. I have only seen one other one... in Girdwood. You could always just go talk to the guys at the Kawasaki shop and see what they have to say. I have found them to be good guys (The Motorcycle Shop over off Potter Dr)

As far as my bike goes, I have ridden it all the way to big lake and down to
whittier with no stops. It is not the most comfortable bike ever and I am really stubborn about not stopping. I wouldn't want to ride all day on it. I don't think the handle bars on mine are quite positioned right for me. I will probably switch those out in the near future and see if that helps some.

The naked bikes will for sure be more comfortable for long rides than the Super sports though. And they look bad ass

Save buying the topper for the winter when you really need it
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
I love snow!

Quote:
haha yeah Idk if im ballsy enough to tackle the rain just yet. Its been awhile since ive gone out on a nice ride so if I were to get a bike id keep it around Eagle River/Anchorage for awhile and prolly wouldnt go out if it even looked like it could rain which sucks cuz it rains a lot up here. Idk well see I think I would deff take it slow and work my up. If I rode in the rain it would be around Eagle River to get a feel for the bike and how differently it handles. I've never rode in the rain but I know friends and family who have and some ahvent had problems others have had some lol.

Haha... that's what I thought when I got my bike.

A month later I was riding rain or shine. The only time I cared is when it was wind AND rain.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
AK BWAYNE

Hahaha I can see the same scenario happening with me. I saw that FZ8 I believe its the only one in the state. Some guy bought it last year from the yamaha dealer out in wasilla rode if for a summer and is now trying to offload it. I would love to have it but like you dont have the money. theres a R6 on there for 4500...says its been laid down but nothing major wrong just fairings and a new gas tank that could use replacing if your worried about cosmetics. Ive talked to him before and tried to get the price lower but he wouldnt budge. But that was like two months ago so maybe hes in more of a bargoning mood lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Stormtrooper Corps

Rain riding isn't too much different (for me at least) you just need to make sure you're planning stops appropriately. The only time I've come close to dumping my bike was in the rain at a stop light. I locked my rear break up right over the giant paint arrow in the turn lane. That made a little pee come out.

As always, be careful and keep your head on a swivel!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
AK BWAYNE

roger that......well damn I might have to rethink this topper business if theres this much interest in bikes. Thats another reason I opted out of getting one last year was because none of my friends up here have one. I tried to get nick to get one with me but it didnt work lol. Haveing ppl to ride with is just more fun plus I think its safer as well. More eyes watching out and you would think a bigger group of bikes would be easier to see than just a lone biker.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold423 TACO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Aircraft Mx
Name: Daniel
423 TACO's Tacoma Gallery
There's a riding group up here my buddy used to be part of, it was pretty big they would just send mass texts out to everyone on the list when they had rides.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
AKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to behold

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
I can't compete with your guys bikes but this is what I have. It's a 125 pit bike studded up for ice racing
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycles Galore-image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Stormtrooper Corps

Nah, I think you win. After all my work on ice roads, I've always wondered what it would be like to ride on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
I love snow!

Quote:
Hahaha I can see the same scenario happening with me. I saw that FZ8 I believe its the only one in the state. Some guy bought it last year from the yamaha dealer out in wasilla rode if for a summer and is now trying to offload it. I would love to have it but like you dont have the money. theres a R6 on there for 4500...says its been laid down but nothing major wrong just fairings and a new gas tank that could use replacing if your worried about cosmetics. Ive talked to him before and tried to get the price lower but he wouldnt budge. But that was like two months ago so maybe hes in more of a bargoning mood lol.

My bike might have been laid down once or twice I am a little short to get my feet down and on gravel I had some problems....

Another great thing about naked bikes.... not much plastic to break