1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Alaska in December, ALCAN or Ferry?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SteveO86, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Aug 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    jmlinne

jmlinne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4 w/ 5-speed manual and locking hubs, stock for now
    One more - get a copy of the Milepost. It tells you everything about the trip, even if you take the ferry. Also thinking about the tow. I would not tow the car on the ALCAN in winter.

2. Aug 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I got some General Grabber AT2s installed a couple of weeks ago. I plan to get some snow chains and other recovery gear before I leave. But the Grabbers also have the spots for studs so I may pick some of those up too.

I have a block heater, I just need to go get it installed. I tried myself but the 2012+ models have a stupid bracket that's in the way so I am going to have my Toyota dealer deal with it. I plan to bring about 20 gallons of extra gas just to be safe. Probably too much since that is a second tank, but I'd rather be prepared than not.

I did grab a milepost already and I have read a bunch of it. Very awesome guide.

As far as the towing goes, I kinda got lucky. My sister totaled the car she had so I told her if she wants to join me in Alaska to not buy a car until we get up there and then we can find he a decent Subaru or something.

Thank you guys for the information. I truly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

3. Aug 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    I would recommend studding those tires if you can run a different set in the summer. Maybe get them studded closer to Canada, otherwise driving them from Florida might be rather obnoxious. ;)

4. Aug 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Ghost.

Ghost. TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    My runner cost me $1760 from Washington with 250# of personal items. I wanted to take the ferry but they were booked when I checked in February out to October. Probably because of the summer but that would be cool to do for the winter and the cost really wasn't that high but you would have to pay for two vehicles

5. Aug 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    What do you think of the General Grabbers?

6. Aug 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    Sorry for the late reply guys, I'm back in Korea now to finish my tour so I've had to readjust from the jet lag. Atlanta is a full 13 hours behind Korea so my days and nights are flipped. :confused:

Yeah, If I got the studs I was going to have them installed in Canada. But I was just thinking of buying a set of Chains so that I can take them off and keep the Grabbers on all year. I'm not a big fan of maintaining two sets of tires if I don't have to. I plan to get an apartment in Anchorage so I know my storage space will be limited.

That's not too bad of a price. I was thinking about the ferry, but I'd have to leave my dog in the truck for the ride and from what I've read the vehicle deck isn't heated. So, I'm just going to take my time and brave the Alaska Highway.

I drove about 800 miles in two weeks on them before I came back to Korea and first impressions are great. They are quiet and have a whole lot more grip on dry and wet roads than the stock Dunlops did. I did lose 1-2 MPGs with them though. But I went up a size too (from 265/65r17 to 265/70r17).

At this point, I would highly recommend them just for their great pricing and it's a well built tire.

7. Aug 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Nice! Glad you are enjoying them. I had them on my '88 Pickup back in high school. I have KM2's right now, but looking at the AT2's again as a winter set

8. Aug 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    faceplant

faceplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston,TN
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Hey I just wanted to say i just got up here JBER, AK. My wife and I drove the Alcan from Tennessee. It was awesome. I had a blast and my truck gave me no problems. of course this is last part of summer. If you can stop and site see. We went to yellowstone and Glacier NP. We also camped in places to save some of that money. As Already stated get a copy of milepost and it helped that i had maps of Alberta, B.C. and Yukon. Cell phone service was out a lot and depending on gps that sucked too. Roads were great. A few spots in B.C. before you cross over into yukon is packed grave because of road work.

9. Aug 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s

Welcome to the last frontier!

10. Aug 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    faceplant

faceplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston,TN
    Vehicle:
    06 trd

Thanks. Im trying to find time to get out and go fishing! I see people down there everyday and I'm jealous.

11. Aug 29, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    stvnshnn

stvnshnn Active Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma TRD Sport
    No doubt taking one car up will be easier, but most of the time the price of cars here is significantly higher than other places, especially for a subaru here compared to FL. It might be better to bring up a second car, I know people that do things like this just to sell the car and recoup some gas money or they will pull a trailer and fill it with things to sell when they get here and sell the trailer too.
    Just a thought.

12. Oct 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    Kinda late chiming in, but if you are still planning on driving here this might help. I made the drive in March of 2012 and there was still plenty snow everywhere in Canada and in Alaska, temps were below freezing starting in Canada and all the rest of the way.
    I brought two 5gal fuel cans and was glad I did! Many gas stations were closed and only open in the summer, during tourist season. I personally stay away from chains, they are only good in deep snow. You will hate life having to put them on and take them off all the time (putting chains on in freezing temps is not fun); also they are loud and chew up your tires on highway. I buy studless winter tires, they last longer and are quieter.
    This is just my $0.02

13. Oct 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    It did. Only the TRD Off Road came with BFGs. The TRD Sport/SR5 trims came with either Dunlop GranTrek or a street Bridgestone.

14. Oct 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    Russellstiltskin

Russellstiltskin Oldie but a Goodie

Member:
    First Name:
    Russtifer
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport, DCSB
    Custom TRD Badged Grill, PowderCoated Black Steelies, with 285/75/16's. Studded Firestone Winter Force for Winter snow, Firestone Destination M/T for the summer mud, 2.75" Ready Lift Block kit in the front, and 2" AAL in the back, 5100 billies, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N CAI system under the hood, on a sesame seed bun.
  15. Oct 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    I would make the drive again if I had the chance. It wasn't easy driving for four days, but it's a beautiful drive. Just make sure you give yourself enough time for travel, so you don't feel rushed and can stop for pictures.
    Canadian border crossing was NOT fun. They held me there for three hours and took every single thing out of my truck to inspect. Make sure you don't have any guns, ammo, magazines or anything that remotely resembles a gun or a gun part with you. I guess I have one of those "suspicious" faces, lol.
    If you are traveling with pets, get all vaccinations done and have papers to prove it, they may or may not check the papers, but it's cheaper than getting turned around at the border.
    Things I brought with me: Two 5gal metal fuel cans (saved my life, literally), snow shovel, tool box, snow brush/ice scraper (beats removing snow and ice with hands), 12v air pump and tire plugs (came in handy), sleeping bag (I slept in truck three out of four nights to save money), tow strap just in case.

16. Nov 1, 2014 at 2:27 AM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering how the Canadian crossing would go. I don't plan on bringing any weapons with me. If I buy the M&P .45 acp I want back home in Georgia I'll be shipping it to Alaska, but I may just buy it up there. Also, I plan on having my dog's annual checkup done around December 20th so I'll be within 30 days when I reach the border.

Is there any reason you recommend the metal gas cans? I bought a 4 pack of VP plastic cans so I'll have an extra 20 gallons of fuel with me the whole time. If I need to I can sell those cans and grab some metal jerry cans.

I planned to take my time. 6-days from Seattle to Anchorage with no more than 450 miles of driving in any one day.

I feel like I am pretty well prepared. I ordered a bunch of things for the trip and my dad mentioned that he may give me his little 40" x 48" utility trailer to help carry the gear I got and all the things I'm moving.

Here is a list of what I have so far and what I will buy to hopefully make a safe ride up there in January.

- 4x 5-Gallon Gas Cans
    - 2x 30,000 lbs tow straps
    - 4x Tire Chains
    - LED MagLite (2D Cell)
    - Truck has a CB Radio
    - First Aid Kit
    - AAA Emergency Road Side Kit
    - Glass breaker/seat belt cutter
    - Case of MREs
    - Heavy Duty Blanket
    - Ice Scraper w/ Brush
    - Block Heater (Just need to install it)
    - Remote Start System (also need to install)

Things I still need to get
    - 5 Gallons of Water to keep in the cab
    - Candles
    - Tin Foil
    - Flares
    - Tire Patch Kit (didn't think of that)
    - 12v Air Compressor

I feel like I may have gone a little over board, but I'd much rather be prepared and have nothing happen than get stuck in a ditch and not be prepared.

Thanks again for all the input and advice. I'm actually getting very excited for this drive! Less than 2 months and I'll be on the road. :thumbsup:

17. Nov 1, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Maybe a little generator?

Stuck somewhere, break out the genny, run the cord in the truck and have a heating blanket/pad and light.

Unless things changed I was always under the impression studded tires were verboten in Canada.

18. Nov 1, 2014 at 7:37 AM
    nealkas

nealkas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nealkas
    Pee-Ay
    Vehicle:
    08 Superwhite DCSB 4x4, stock.
    Then I would immediately replace both tires/wheels/bearings, and take 2 new spare tires/wheels/bearings and a grease gun as well.
    Then take the 2 presently on the trailer and keep those for last ditch spares.

You are doing a heckuva lot sustained miles. The trailers are usually designed for lighter duty. Shorter trips, not 8/9 hours at 60mph.
    A blowout usually trashes the wheel and often the bearing as well anyway.

And it is a rule you will only blow out a trailer tire on a downhill road with no shoulder at night in a howling rainstorm and a convoy of logging trucks right on your ass...Trust me...

Got tools? :)

19. Nov 1, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Plastic cans are fine, just make sure to take them out of the vehicle and place them on the ground when filling. (Avoids static electricity problems)

Also, make sure your water containers can handle freezing... Or at least do not fill them al the way up.

Your list so far is very good, I would suggest a couple blankets (I have 2 wool Army ones). They can be used as a make shift tarp or to hold gear down as well.

20. Nov 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Just FYI guys I havn't seen a portable metal gas approved for use in a vehicle in CANADA ever in my life time, so be careful what you bring across the boarder or they could take it from you. Especially if you go on any ferries or scales for some reason while you're up here.

Don't stud in Canada. It's allowed in some places but I'm 99% sure BC banned it. If you're going to stud you should just buy a true winter tread instead.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top