1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Alaska in December, ALCAN or Ferry?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SteveO86, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Jan 13, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I'm actually en route now. I am stopped at Muncho Lake, British Columbia and should be in Anchorage by the end of the week. :D

The truck is doing great minus my passenger side HID projector shroud fell off due to the roughness of the ALCAN. Haha.

2. Jan 13, 2015 at 8:09 AM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    That sucks I hope mine stay together haha, how are the roads?

3. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    Yeah, I laughed a little when I saw the shroud had fallen. The roads overall are pretty good. Some slick spots, but the Grabber AT2s are doing amazing.

Although we had another casualty today. The ALCAN claimed the custom 4' x 4' trailer my dad and I had built. The leaf spring mount sheared from the frame (a kit from Northern Tool) and with no way to do a roadside repair, so I got as much out of the trailer as I could and put it in the bed of the truck and then abandoned it on the side of the highway in the Yukon.

I sent an e-mail to the town we left it outside of so I may have to pay a fine, but I didn't know what else to do since it was unsafe to tow.

The broken shroud...
    [​IMG]

And the last picture of the truck and trailer together. We didn't notice yet, but looking at the picture the trailers leaf is already broken here.
    [​IMG]

4. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:32 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    I'll be posting pictures when I get to Anchorage and have reliable internet. I'll also do a bit of a trip log too.

5. Jan 14, 2015 at 1:18 AM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    Did you jb weld your Shroud on? And I'm gonna have to pick your brain about the route when you get back. Will probably copy it on my way out

6. Jan 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Hope the rest goes of the trip goes well. I want to drive it someday in the winter.

7. Jan 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    :anonymous: Maaaybe, or maybe I took the easy way and said the snaps should hold it. :anonymous:

By all means, I'll be glad to share the trip/route with you.

Thanks, today was great. We made it into Alaska and stopped in Tok for the night. We will be in Anchorage tomorrow. :woot:

8. Jan 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    ndmak

ndmak Well-Known Member

Member:
    I drove down to Rexburg, ID from Fairbanks over christmas break in my new (to me) 05 Tacoma. It was a good trip. Almost zero weather. Like you said, a couple slick spots. We stopped a bunch for fuel, just because I had not made the trip before. We drove thru a herd of buffalo south of Watson Lake! That was a really cool experience. It was a pretty uneventful trip for us, which was good but kind of boring.

Glad you made the trip mostly in tact and I'm sure you will love it up there.

9. Jan 14, 2015 at 10:32 PM
    NoSilverBullet

NoSilverBullet N60 member

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    How far from Whitehorse is the trailer? Was there any important stuff you would have liked to keep but couldn't load in the truck?

You can shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help if I can.

10. Jan 15, 2015 at 7:16 AM
    Sandyman

Sandyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sandy
    Los Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC Sport Limo
    Just me
    Welcome to Alaska!!

Just checked, you are in my shop, welcome to ATCALS!

Sandy

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  11. Jan 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it's been a great trip. I brought 20 gallons of extra fuel that I didn't need. So I plan on burning that up today on my drive to Anchorage. We also drove through a couple herds of buffalo south of Watson Lake (which is where the trailer died as well haha) But aside from the trailer and some crazy winds/snow in South Dakota our trip has been very uneventful too.

Thanks, I look forward to meeting y'all up here!

12. Jan 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM
    Sandyman

Sandyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sandy
    Los Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC Sport Limo
    Just me
    He made it! I saw his Tacoma at the shop this morning.

13. Jan 17, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    Glad he made it, too bad his trailer didn't :)

14. Jan 17, 2015 at 9:33 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I live close to where you started from and glad you had a safe trip.

Been to AK several times on business (1980s & 1990s) and like it in the summer. Yellow Knife, NWT (next door) in the winter was hell though.

I have fond memories of Elmendorf (1960s)... was medevaced back from RVN on a C-141 via Elmendorf AFB (the locals brought cookies on board the C-141, baked by the school kids there with "thank you notes" in them, was very nice and always remembered by me :)) .... then on to Scott AFB (?) in IL .... then on to Andrews AFB .... then to Bethesda and a warm bed with soft sheets. The USAF (from DaNang to Andrews) treated us the best of anyone ... :D

15. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:01 PM
    Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Glendive MT
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    none till i buy my wife a house
    Any chance you brought any firearms with you through Canada i've heard you can and that you cant so just curious. Come this May/June ill be heading up myself with a small U-Haul trailer. Not sure if it will be just me or i bring the family with (wife plus 2 kids 1 4 and the other not even 1 yet).

16. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Read this:

http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Basically your garden variety hunting rifle is usually fine to bring through or into Canada temporarily as long as you declare it and the ammo to the border officer. Most pistols and some AR 15 gripped rifles can be brought into Canada with the proper paperwork filled out and approved BEFORE you hit the border. Most assault style type weapons are not allowed into Canada under any circumstances though, so really do your reading and if you don't need to bring it, don't. Remember to always declare all ammo too and make sure it matches the guns you have with you or they will tear your vehicle apart looking for a matching gun. Again, READ THAT PAGE I LISTED CAREFULLY. Sorry to yell, but if you bring up something you shouldn't of you will lose it, have your family isolated from you while you have some friendly time in a cell for a few hours, have your car torn apart in a search by border officers, and possibly face charges. Always declare everything, even if it's illegal, because that's your best shot of not facing charges.

Anyways, sorry I thread jacked but I'd rather not see some poor American arrested trying to sneak his Glock to Alaska :threadjacked:.

17. Jul 28, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    FATaco

FATaco Meh

Member:
    First Name:
    Friends call me Ginger
    Fairbanks
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD DCSB
    Dakars w/AAL, OME/886's, All Pro Front Bumper, Rear bumper, IFS skid, and UCA's. Superwinch Tigershark. Magnaflow muffler... vrooom
    Reviving this guy from the dead here.... Sorry. I'll be moving from Augusta to Fairbanks in October and was curious if you had to fill out any paperwork ahead of time in order to carry your dog through Canada? I've seen conflicting info online. Thanks!

18. Jul 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-your-pet-to-canada

Bring a letter clearing your dog medically from the vet and his vaccinations. That will get you through easiest.

19. Jul 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM
    FATaco

FATaco Meh

Member:
    First Name:
    Friends call me Ginger
    Fairbanks
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD DCSB
    Dakars w/AAL, OME/886's, All Pro Front Bumper, Rear bumper, IFS skid, and UCA's. Superwinch Tigershark. Magnaflow muffler... vrooom
    Great link... Thanx!

20. Jul 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    This is a good link. All I did with my dog was have in cleared by my old vet and brought all his records along with the a USDA or some federal certification certificate that my vet also filled out. It made the crossing into and out of Canada a breeze.

Products Discussed in

To Top