1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Anchorage!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by zane8000, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Nov 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    zane8000

zane8000 [OP] Member

Member:
    i currently live in germany and i just got orders to Elmendorf so i will be in the area next june/july time frame. i havent been assigned a sponsor yet so i had a few questions i hoped you guys could answer. i will also take any other information you are willing to part with. but where is the best place to live? best interent/satellite provider?(i've been without cable and good internet for nearly 4 years now) best cell provider etc. just any information you would give someone moving to anchorage

2. Nov 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Hey dude! Congrats and happy thanksgiving! We're getting our 4x4 community up a d running so you're coming at a great time. As far as your questions I'll do my best.

As far as the best place to live you'll probably want to be on the east side of town since you'll be in elmendorf. Unfortunately the east side doesn't have that great of a reputation. If I were to move over that way, I'd try and find something off of Elmore since its now a straight shot to the main road that gets you to the eastside. Your commute that way will be about 20-25 minutes. Still not bad.
    As far as Internet /satellite some people use dish, but I'd say about80% have GCI. They hold a monopoly on the market. Same goes for cel phones, though, I personally hate GCI enough to not have cable and my cel phone is through AT&T. Iprefer it that way.

As far as other info, you're coming at a beautiful time of the year so be prepared to get outside a lot because winters are long and you'll want to feel like you balanced it with a good active summer. It's a wonderful place to live. I'm never moving away. Look us up when you get here! Lots of trucks to help you move!

3. Nov 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    What part of Germany are you coming from?? Enjoy what you can of summer here and there? I think Ben covered a lot but if you have more questions just ask.

4. Nov 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    zane8000

zane8000 [OP] Member

Member:

i'm coming from ramstein i've been here since feb 09.i seen you had AF under your avatar. what does FMO give you in alaska. out here in germany they give you fridge, stove, washer and dryer if you need it. i'm just trying to plan on what all i will need to purchase.

5. Nov 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    zane8000

zane8000 [OP] Member

Member:
    also how is registering a vehicle in alaska? while looking for a second vehicle i seen ads that said tags good until 2014 and stuff like that. is there an inspection that your vehicle has to go through? we have one out here and its a PITA there are so may regulations your wheels cant stick out past fenders at all no oil or anything can be dripping or residue under the car at all during inspection or you fail, etc. is there anything like that up there. i also bought a new jeep out here i should be good as far as avoiding the state tax but does anyone know the regulations here.

6. Nov 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    No inspections here, they had emissions but they jus got rid of that in april-ish i think? It was right around the time i got here (may). Some people will mention their tags in ads on CL, thats just typical vehicle registration, the sticker on your license plate.

7. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    I will find out about FMO. I'm not sure they give anything because you get a full shipment for most people and the plugs are the same.

8. Nov 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM
    zane8000

zane8000 [OP] Member

Member:
    i figured as much since its not technically an overseas base. i got rid of everyhting i had on the way out here in 09 so i guess i better start saving and use my DLA for appliances and not for mods.

9. Nov 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    My neighbor has a brand new set of stackable washer and dryer. I think he wanted 700 for it. Good deal. Let us know what we can scour Craigslist for

10. Nov 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    zane8000

zane8000 [OP] Member

Member:
    i may have to take ya'll up on that when it gets a little bit closer i'm still about 6 months out

11. Nov 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    Welcome back to the states!

12. Nov 30, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    langdot

langdot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Fairbanks
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB
    Hey I'm moving down from Fairbanks to take a job at the University in Anchorage. What parts of town should I be looking to get a place in?

I'm done with the dry cabin thing so I'm probably looking to live in city with a short commute, but would prioritize being in a fun part of town. Anyone else use their taco to haul water?

13. Nov 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Only haul water when it rains. As far as fun areas of town, I guess it depends on your idea of fun. If you're working at the university I'd look at the dimond area. Midtown would be closer but it's not exactly prime real estate. Lots of low income housing. Dimond to Raspberry would be plenty close with easy access to the highway thatll take you to work and it's beautiful on the west side. You could do turnagain depending on your income and get a really nice neughborhood. Mostly older folks that care about their property. Really just steer clear of boniface and muldoon and you'll be alright haha

14. Jan 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    Syntonization

Syntonization tAKoma Godfather

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD Sport dbl cab long bed
    Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 295/70/17. Tuff Wheels 17x8 -13 Offset. Front Suspension: Fox Racing 2.5 Series Extended travel shocks w/ Eibach coil-overs, Total Chaos UCA's. Rear: Dakar Leaf Springs, Fox Racing 2.5 Series Long travel shocks. Superbump Stops. Cab mount frame chop. BruteFab frame sliders. Pelfreybuilt Front bumper, Hi-Clearance Rear w/swingarm and table. Color matched BRM! Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR. Morimoto 5Five FX-R Stage III HID Projector retrofit 6000K. Rigid DOT Fog lights, 20" light bar, dually ditch lights. 6500 lm LED underbody rock lights. Fog lights on any time MOD. K&N 77 Cold Air Intake. Flowmaster American Thunder CAT back dual exhaust. CompuStar 2 way remote start w/ 2 stage alarm and keyless entry. White under hood LED strip lighting, with automatic hood pin on/off switch. Dynamat & Dynaliner sound deadening in doors & cab. Kenwood DDX574BH Head unit with Maestro OBDII interface. Rockford Fosgate Punch 5 ch amp with Punch Component tweeters, woofers & sub. USB charging/data ports in blank plug under head unit. Instrument cluster, red and white LED's replacement. Backlit 4x4 selector switch. Anytime on/off Rear-view mirror back up camera. Uniden PRO520XL CB w/ co phased ATT's. Toyota Hood Protector. Coverking Neoprene black w/ red center seat covers. Color matched Devil Horns grill emblem.
    Ramstein AFB is nice, so is K-town. It's amazing how much less expensive beer was on base.

Products Discussed in

To Top