Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > All-Pro Off Road

Notices

u-bolts too short for dakars

Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #21
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Technically it'll work without like Hodge is saying, it'll just look goofy and I question whether it's safe.
post #19
Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
and the u bolts in the block lift kits are typically rounded
how is that possible when they dont even go over anything with a round shape? They make contact with the top of the leafs which is flat.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #23
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the talk wasnt about stock u bolts, but the AP ones...that's why i reference the block kits b/c they have the rounded ones in them. i'm running a set, i know.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
how is that possible when they dont even go over anything with a round shape? They make contact with the top of the leafs which is flat.
b/c you have to also remember that these lift block kits are for lowering as well. when they use them to lower, the are running an under axle leaf kit and the rounded part of the u blot is on top of the axle.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the talk wasnt about stock u bolts, but the AP ones...that's why i reference the block kits b/c they have the rounded ones in them. i'm running a set, i know.
so the rounded part of the ubolt is in contact on top of the flat leafs? (in an ordinary block kit with out the flip)
Old 02-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #26
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
so the rounded part of the ubolt is in contact on top of the flat leafs? (in an ordinary block kit with out the flip)
Quote:
b/c you have to also remember that these lift block kits are for lowering as well. when they use them to lower, the are running an under axle leaf kit and the rounded part of the u blot is on top of the axle.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
I see what your sayin and I believe you. Its just that i wouldnt want that on my truck.

go to an auto store and open up the block kit. it will look exactly as the AP u bolt, but longer.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #30
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wouldnt want a longer u bolt that is rounded (such as all-pros) going over my leafs. I understand that in your situation in works perfect because you got the flip kit.
Don't you have the flip kit?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #31
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Don't you have the flip kit?
that's what i dont understand....from this he says he does....

Quote:
Hey guys, just wanted to say that the u-bolts that come with the flip kit are too short to work with dakar leafs. I was told they would be fine. Only half of the threads engage on the nut and that is without using the washers. Are longer u-bolts available to work with these leafs? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #32
Nothin' Special

especk's Tacoma Gallery
haha the flip kit is on there. I understand everything you are saying and its correct. I was just trying to make a point about if I didnt have the kit.

Sorry guys - Ive been taking midterms all week for my doctor of pharmacy program so my brain is pretty shot. There was definitely some confusion back there - highly likely due to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #33
Sooooooper Moderator

this is now a WTF thread....

the entire thread was about longer u bolts to fit an AP flip kit....no where in this thread did you say anything about longer u bolts for people that DONT have the flip kit.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
ya but you brough up buyin ubolts with a block kit and I figured those would just be longer stock ones - didnt see why they would be round. Thats where the craziness started.
i also said in the beginning that they were exactly like the AP ones, but longer.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #38
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
heres my problem:
that was the same issue i had for my one side.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #40
Nothin' Special

especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
most trailer and spring shops can make custom u-bolts. usually they're only about $10 a piece. just give them the diamiter of your axle and how long you need the threads. i had to get some made to fix a boat trailer. they work great.
I did just this. Thanks!