1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All Pro Bed Rack.... First one.

Discussion in 'All-Pro Off Road' started by Tunafish778, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    Tunafish778

Tunafish778 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring (Houston)TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Well, I guess I am the first official customer for All Pro's bed rack, and now that I have it on the truck, I thought I'd share some pics and a little review with you guys so that you can figure out if you'd want one on your truck.

[​IMG]

First and foremost, let me say that Jason, Curtis and all the guys at All Pro have been nothing if not helpful and pleasant to deal with. What problems I've had will undoubtedly be rectified and I have no complaints with them at all.

[​IMG]

I ordered the rack along with a set of sliders and the front bumper during the group buy, and thus far, the rack is the only thing that has finished fabrication. I received in about four days after shipping from California, but as I just got home from a trip last night, I wasn't able to get it assembled and mounted until today.

It shipped in three sections. One box, containing the insert sections and hardware, and two "bundles" (for lack of a better word) of tubing. They were padded with heavy paper and wrapped in shipping plastic. After getting everything unwrapped, we found quite a bit of damage in the powder coating from rubbing and getting banged around. There were several pretty heavy gouges and rubs in the coating that will need to be replaced. Talking to Jason at All Pro, he said that most will be sent bare and that would certainly not be an issue, but if you were to get yours powder coated, a better packing job is definitely gonna be needed.

[​IMG]

After laying out all the pieces, we started assembly and had a pretty rough time. Unfortunately, as there were no instructions included (not that it was brain surgery) we were unaware that there were apparently small part numbers on the inserts and tubing. It is my thinking that the rack was assembled and then drilled. Because of that, and because we didn't see the hidden part numbers we put pieces together as they came to hand and we had a hell of a time with some of the bolts fitting in the drill holes. Had we seen the part numbers (still not sure where they were) I'm sure it would have made assembly a LOT easier.

[​IMG]

As it is, we had to put the rack up on it's end and hammer them together with a rubber mallet. Some of the holes had to be reamed out with a drill bit to get the bolts through. Some of the recommendations I gave them on the phone today was to ship instructions along with the rack, label the parts CLEARLY and bore out the inner hole diameters a few more millimeters to help the bolts get through.

One of my major complaints coincidentally, is the finish of my rack. I got a call last week from Curtis and he explained that in assembly they had scratched the end of my rack a little bit. I had the option of having them repowder coat the whole thing or discount me on the powder coating job. From my understanding, it was a little scratch that just needed a touch up. Little did I know the entire back end of the rack was not just scratched but butchered. It looked like someone had done the exact same thing as we did; turn it up on it's end and hammer the pieces together; just without something to pad the bottom. The entire back end of my rack has not only been scratched but pitted so badly that I'm going to have to get it sanded and repainted.

[​IMG]

After calling Jason and talking to him, he told me that he'd find me a fix, and quite frankly, I have every confidence in him to do so. I'm not angry; I am however a bit disappointed that they would let something like that go to a customer. Personally, nothing like that would have ever left my shop; discount or not.

Combined with the shipping damage to the coating, I might as well have bought a bare rack and had it done here, as that's exactly what I'm going to have to do now.

Another issue we had was trying to figure out how the hell we were going to get it secured to the truck. Having received no hardware we wound up using the Toyota rack tie downs. We unscrewed the bolt, ran it inside the railing and then reassembled the tie downs to run through the rack. Needless to say, this wasn't the most secure way of doing it.

[​IMG]

We weren't sure if we were really cleaver or really stupid. In the phone call with All Pro later Jason said that there was a hardware kit included, but for some reason it wasn't shipped, so I'm looking forward to getting that and seeing how well it's secured to the truck.

One thing to also keep in mind is the length of the rack itself. Looking on the web site, you get the impression that the rack extends close to the length of the bed. In fact, this rack ends 7 inches before the tail gate. This isn't a complaint, simply an observation, and it does effect the appearance of the rack itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the good; and I wanted to start with the not so good and end on an upbeat note because in the end, i'm going to be very happy with this rack. I want everyone to know that apart from the finish issues this is a hell of a rack, and with a few little adjustments, All Pro has a very nice Taco accessory.

The thing is heavy and after it was all put together it's SOLID. Once we put it on the truck, I got up in it and pushed, pulled, kicked and rocked and got the truck rolling around, but the rack didn't budge. I'm sure when the "real" rack mounting hardware get installed, it'll be even sturdier. Curtis at All Pro assured me that this rack will hold my Yakima Kayak rack, a basket or whatever I wanna put on it, and now that I've got my hands on it, I'm a believer.

[​IMG]

The rack has 4 horizontal mounting brackets at the top of both ends for what I would think are lights or light bars. I plan on mounting my Yakima rack on top of it and kayaks on top of that, and I'm pretty confident that it will work just fine. There is a lot of potential for this rack in the way of mounting other items, but keep in mind that it's 1 1/2 inch tubing.

All in all , I'm pretty happy with the rack. Honestly, this is a brand new product for All Pro, so I'm going to write off the shipping damage on "experimenting" on the right way to get the thing shipped. As I said earlier, if you buy the rack bare metal, it won't be an issue at all. If you live closer to them, I would even recommend you buy the rack welded together and forgo the whole nasty bolting together process all together. I don't really relish the idea of trying to get this thing apart.... EVER, and would have been quite happy with a fully welded rack.

[​IMG]

If I were to make recommendations to future buyers I would say;

Buy the rack bare and have it coated or painted.

Buy a case of beer and bribe a friend with it to help you get the thing together. Without my buddy, I don't think I would have had the ability or the patience to get this one together. It's heavy and you'll need one guy to keep it upright and the other guy to hammer down on it.

Make sure you find the part numbers (wherever they are) and put the right inserts in the right places.

Buy yourself a rubber mallet; your gonna need it.

To finish, let me encourage anyone who is on the fence about this rack to get it. I am sure that All Pro will get the bugs worked out and I think this is a very strong and versatile product. I hope the sliders and bumper are as solid and well built. NOW GO BUY ONE!

John

corgimas likes this.
  2. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I'm just waiting for the Long Bedversion to come and I'll buy one

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Looks good!

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I don't like how it's to short at the back

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    x2

Also it doesn't look like the cross bars are set up at the standardized roof rack width (forget the distance) so you can't just bolt on accessories like a bike rack, rocket box or cargo rack.

That's a big feature that they should look into. Also predrilled wiring ports and light tabs would be a must I would think.

6. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Tunafish778

Member:
    Spring (Houston)TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Well you have to remember (and I didn't realize until I looked at it) that the end of your bed actually angles in at the end. Since the rack ends at the point where the bed starts to angle, I'm sure it was intentional. Still doesn't look bad at all.

7. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    JC47

JC47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    OME 885, 5100's, 1.5 AAL, DC2's, 265/75/16 Duratracs. Leer Cap, Debadged.
    Looks good, too bad it wasn't a bit higher than the cab though.

8. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    You could just flair out the base to match the bump at the tailgate though.

9. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D Well-Known Member

Member:
    Me too, Jason has been very good at me calling almost all the time to see when I can get one.

10. Apr 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    stroM-

stroM- @alteregoadventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    Thanks for the write up and criticism. We always take your thoughts into consideration to improve our shipping!

Just to let you know, we did not charge you a cent for the powdercoat ;)

Also, with that credit, your front bumper can be shipped to you! Its at powdercoat today and should be going out this week for you.

Thanks again for the write up, glad you like the product!

- Jason

11. Apr 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Updates on Longbed version?!

12. Apr 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    sambojee

sambojee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OffRoad
    Bilstein 5100 all around set at 2.5. 1.5 AAL in the rear. 265/75/16 Hancook Dynapro MTs on Black Moto Metal 951s. Black badges. Aftermarket grill. TRD seat covers.
    what would u use it for? camping when its raining and put a tarp over it? haha. looks sweet tho

13. Apr 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    utahskierdave

utahskierdave Well-Known Member

Member:
    salt lake
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma dbl cab
    +1

14. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    armstrsm

armstrsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4 SR5 TRd OffRoad
    AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Locks On Bed storage, Weathertech floor liners, Access roll up tonneau, Dual Head unit, illuminated 4x4 switch, Devil Horns

My question is... Can you get it to work with a soft tonneau cover... Specifically an access roll up cover

15. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    Its too bad that it's shorter than the cab. What if you wanted to transport something on the roof rack?

16. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    stroM-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    You can order one at a larger height we just can't make it any lower without it being a modular design ;)

17. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    stroM-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    I don't have much experience with these.. would you be able to PM or email me some pictures so that I could get a better understanding of how we would need to modify the mounting system?

Thanks!

18. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    That is a nice looking rack.

I can't believe the first one was shipped without instructions, no hardware, and scratched up. Whoever was responsible for that should be place on shop b@#$& duty for a week :)

19. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    armstrsm

armstrsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4 SR5 TRd OffRoad
    AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Locks On Bed storage, Weathertech floor liners, Access roll up tonneau, Dual Head unit, illuminated 4x4 switch, Devil Horns
    I will as soon as i can!, outa town right now

20. Apr 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    Tunafish778

Member:
    Spring (Houston)TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I've already had several compliments on the rack. What can I say? Short of a few teeth cutting issues, it's a kick butt product. I'm going to pull it off tomorrow and get it sanded down and repainted. The guys at AllPro have already sent me the right hardware and that will I'm sure get the mounting issues squared away. I'm ready to get the kayaks mounted up and take it for a road trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top