LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > All-Pro Off Road

Notices

Diff skid questions

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
Diff skid questions

Does anyone have any experience with all pro's diff skid? Does it offer any protection underneath? I googled for more pics, but all I found was the pic from all pro's site. Does anyone have any other pics/ reviews/ advice on these diff skids that all pro offers?

(Jesse maybe?)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
It does not offer any protection underneath the diff.
It only covers the rear ring gear cover, just like you see on the website.

Here's a pic of it on my rear diff.

-Scuba.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's bad form to pimp other vendors in one vendor's forum - but if you look around TW, you'll find a couple other vendors that have a diff skid that offers more coverage and protection, if that's what you need.

You'll pay some coin for it, though.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
bottom of the diff is pretty thick. The 3rd is also pretty thick. Only concern is backing into rocks with the thin metal covering the ring gear. This fixes that.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
bottom of the diff is pretty thick. The 3rd is also pretty thick. Only concern is backing into rocks with the thin metal covering the ring gear. This fixes that.
only problem area on the bottom is the drain plug. i need to take the dremmel to mine because currently, i am not able to get a socket on that bolt with the bolt guard caved in on it.

i'd say the AP guard with some extra steel welded around the drain bolt would have you protected well though.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I just pried around the plug with a screw driver until I could fit a socket. Was thinking of welding a lip around the existing metal.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #8

or you could get a hex head plug instead
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
It does not offer any protection underneath the diff.
It only covers the rear ring gear cover, just like you see on the website.

Here's a pic of it on my rear diff.

-Scuba.
Thanks for the pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
It's bad form to pimp other vendors in one vendor's forum - but if you look around TW, you'll find a couple other vendors that have a diff skid that offers more coverage and protection, if that's what you need.

You'll pay some coin for it, though.
Yeah, I wanted a cheaper alternative than some prices I've seen so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear that the armor in question does what it needs, and that the bottom and 3rd are pretty thick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
only problem area on the bottom is the drain plug. i need to take the dremmel to mine because currently, i am not able to get a socket on that bolt with the bolt guard caved in on it.

i'd say the AP guard with some extra steel welded around the drain bolt would have you protected well though.
Thanks for the tip on the extra fab idea. I've got some steel lying around, I think ill have to do this!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

That Damned Trail 13!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #11
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish020 View Post
That Damned Trail 13!!!!
ain't that the truth.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
All-Pro Off-Road
CJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCJB4LFE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
CJB4LFE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Does anyone have any experience with all pro's diff skid? Does it offer any protection underneath? I googled for more pics, but all I found was the pic from all pro's site. Does anyone have any other pics/ reviews/ advice on these diff skids that all pro offers?

(Jesse maybe?)
Yeah Mike, Our diff armor offers great protection for that ring gear. Toyota makes a strong axle housing from factory but the material is a lil thinner that covers the ring gear, We designed the diff armor to protect that ring gear and to maintain ground clearance as well. We also offer a low profile drain plug which makes a good combination with a great price.