Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > All-Pro Off Road

Notices

How did you guys paint your bumpers?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
How did you guys paint your bumpers?

I am thinking about getting an AP rear bumper, did most of you guys just rattle can them?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
For a nice bumper like that I wouldnt just rattle can it. If your going to spend money on a quality product I'd do a quality paint job or get it powder coated.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
I5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud of
Marines: Sgt, MCBH Mals-24
Name: Ratha
I5runner's Tacoma Gallery
Psssshh I rattle can mines, turned out good and holds up to Hawaii's conditions. I spent enough for the bumper and shipping to HI alone. I could t get myself to fork out another few Bens for a powder coat. Just use good spray paint and clear coat. I think I have some pics on my build thread.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
stinkyspice has a spectacular aura aboutstinkyspice has a spectacular aura about
stinkyspice's Tacoma Gallery
Check my Build.

i rattle canned my AP Sliders it is holding up well but i wish i would have spent the money and painted them right. it scratches and chips easily. i am in hawaii as well.

so when i got my AP rear Bumper. i had my buddy properly paint it. he used a real good Black Base Primer and Cleared it with some Real good stuff i forget what exactly he did i basically picked a color and he went to town but i is really night and day from my slider. i would suggest getting them powder coated or painted. i believe that AP powdercoats now for a charge. its an option on the apex bumper?? would have to ask them.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
19deltamike2 is on a distinguished road
Army: 19 Delta Cav Scout
Name: Mike
19deltamike2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 19deltamike2
I went a cheap way but has been holding up great with a great rugged look! I first sanded them down, put 2 coats of etching primer on them, than went to pepboys, got a quart of herculiner for about $25 and put 6 coats on it.. turns out great, I rub the side rails against trees, rocks, anything and it hasn't come off yet!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
I am thinking about getting an AP rear bumper, did most of you guys just rattle can them?
Rattle canned my AP rear bumper, looks like shit . There are also internal cavities in the bumper that are hard to reach with the rattle can nozzle. When the weather gets warmer I will take it to a Line-X shop.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Habujet is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
Habujet's Tacoma Gallery
I took the easy way out and got rear ended and had them replace the chrome bumper with a nice new white sport which was a wash money wise!
Attached Thumbnails
How did you guys paint your bumpers?-bumper.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Rattle can? Screw that.

Get a whizzer w/foam roller and some industrial paint and primer from Sherwin Williams or similar and it will last 10x longer than crappy thin coated spray paint. Most paint coatings either fail due to poor prep or not thick enough paint.

I used Sherwin Williams Chem Bond HD.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
Thebubble is on a distinguished road
Thebubble's Tacoma Gallery
Want a killer paint system, macro epoxy with a high solids polyurethane topcoat- the same exact spec used on off shore oil equipment, truck frames, and roller coasters
Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I ended up powder coating it, looks really nice.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Ken b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud ofKen b has much to be proud of
Air Force: Crew Chief, MSgt, Retired
Name: Ken
Ken b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
I ended up powder coating it, looks really nice.
PICS???
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken b View Post
PICS???