1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beat the Brute

Discussion in 'All-Pro Off Road' started by Outbound, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    Outbound

Outbound [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    double cab short box
    I'm betting you guys could totally beat the Brute. Yesterday, Scott Brady published an editorial on Expedition Portal claiming that the AEV Brute is the "THE ULTIMATE OVERLANDER: NORTH AMERICA’S PINNACLE 4WD".

Of the Tacoma he says, "The closest competition would be a Toyota Tacoma, but try to (easily) fit 37″ tires and have the vehicle still cruise comfortably down the highway or achieve even close to the same trail performance."

Guys, I have absolute faith you could build a better Tacoma than the Brute for less - probably a lot less. Any chance you'd go out and do it?

http://expeditionportal.com/the-ultimate-overlander-north-americas-pinnacle-4wd/

2. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    Crusher69

Crusher69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '05 Built
    id trade my taco strait up for the brute

3. Sep 21, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    Vehicle:
    double cab short box
    The AEV Brute with 35 inch tires (the DC350 - starts at $39,990 plus the starter vehicle), another $5299 for the Hemi conversion, and then a bunch more if you want the a bigger suspension with the 37 inch tires. In Canada (from which I come) an unlimited 4 door starts at $29495 with no options and $38795 for a Rubicon. Top Gear said their fully outfitted Brute was priced at around $120000.

By contrast a base Tacoma with power window, power locks, AC (Jeep charges to add those things) and a manual tranny is $29920 and $34810 for the TRD sport. So basically, if you decided to start with a base (and why wouldn't you if you are going to swap out suspension and add marvelous things better than a TRD comes with) you would have somewhere between $40K and 80K (That monster Top Gear went with which I confess had some pretty good awesomeness to it, but at that price you'd expect it). I am betting that All Pro can out do a Brute for under $40k in mods. I'm betting they could do it for a lot less.

4. Sep 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Outbound

Member:
    Vehicle:
    double cab short box
    This isn't just off road though - otherwise a rockcrawler would be best. This is on off and everything in between...

5. Sep 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM
    Sgt Jmack

Sgt Jmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    3" Revtech, Undercover flex.
    Why not take this to the FJ forum? They are purpose built to compete with the Wrangler.

6. Sep 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    SuperJakeTheSnake

SuperJakeTheSnake What is this place?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Jacksonville NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    This has always been my thought as well, I am betting if you gave a shop the cash you could build one capable Tacoma. Heck you could even do a motor swap if ya wanted, 2jz or 4bt. How could a SAS Tacoma with built to the hilt d60s not compete with a brute

7. Sep 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    JonB

JonB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Corvallis, MT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    All-Pro Off Road built "APex1"
    I am sure we could build a Tacoma that would be more capable and more reliable than a Brute for less than half the cost. I actually have a 2007 Tacoma that we are going to be starting on this winter that will show this. I have a lot of respect for Scott Brady and AEV and the Brute is a good truck but it is No Toyota! Lol

8. Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    http://expeditionportal.com/the-ultimate-overlander-north-americas-pinnacle-4wd/

9. Sep 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    Vehicle:
    double cab short box
    Mr. Brady and I will have to agree to disagree about the definition of ultimate. While it would be nice to live in a world where cost is not a factor, it is, it always is and when evaluating an item for the title of 'ultimate' cost is a very relevant factor.

10. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    "Why not take this to the FJ forum? They are purpose built to compete with the Wrangler. "

^^^ Sorry for some reason it would not let me quote but the reason is that the FJ does not have a bed.

11. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    It is only 1" shorter than the DCLB. But yet the author says it is a lot more nimble on the trail than the Tacoma. Hmmm?

12. Sep 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    Sgt Jmack

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    14 Sport Dbl cab L/B
    The Brute does not start out as a dbl cab with a bed though.

13. Oct 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    This has definitely motivated us to get going on our winter project!
    A 2007 Tacoma that will be getting the SAS treatment :D

We will get a build thread started on it soon!

14. Oct 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    voodoojk

voodoojk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Money can build anything...we all know this. The brute is very pricey. What you guys don't seem to account for is that this rig is a turn key, brand new, warranty and supported/backed and licensed by jeep / Chrysler. It's not a one off private shop build or a special SEMA project. It can be purchased or ordered from the many many AEV authorized jeep dealers across the country. Does that make it the ultimate rig.. Not really. But it's one of the few that can be purchased brand new in the USA, purchased from your local jeep dealer, financed like any other new car purchase and driven home with new car smell. If I had the $$.. I would own one. But I don't so the closest trail worthy, crew cab, small pickup bed vehicle I can buy from a dealer is a tacoma. I already owned 2 JK's. :p but if Jeep does make their own full production crew cab wrangler pickup I want it..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  15. Oct 20, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Why do an '07 when you can do my '09? :D

Products Discussed in

To Top