1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My All Pro experience

Discussion in 'All-Pro Off Road' started by Konaborne, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Aug 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne [OP] Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Seeing as how there was some drama recently about AP, I thought I'd do my review of their services as well as work in my review of the AP expedition leaf springs.

I have read through all the AP interweb dramaz and saw both sides of the story. From what I had seen, with the new president (Jesse) coming on TW explaining the movement of parts of their business elsewhere and their apologies / explanations to problem threads, I thought I'd give them a chance (and my broken AALs and frowning leaf packs and stock length 5100's needed a swap )

In the process of my ordering my kit (AP Expos/10" 5150's/1.5" greasable shackles/brake line) I called AP 4 times.

When I first called them, I talked with Kurtis about shipping prices to Hawaii, which was my main concern of the transaction (and the main concern of ordering parts from that giant rock to my rock here). We worked out the price of the rear setup I wanted, and he got me a shipping quote
    But instead of letting me order right there and letting me blow my wallet into the wind, he notified me that AP was in negotiation with their freight forwarders to Hawaii, and that they were trying to get lower prices; we agreed that me ordering later could save a bunch of money

At the end of the week when I called (I didn't ask to talk to kurtis again, just talked to whoever answered) Jesse answered and we talked briefly about my situation. Again, instead of just telling me to order, he told me that they were still in the negotiation process; and he kindly offered to try and work with me on the price of the kit should their negotiation fall through.

The next week, Stephen (Scuba) answered. Once I realized who he was we BS'd a little about TTORA and TW, then about the ridiculous shipping prices to hawaii. He notified me that they were having their last meeting with their FF, and that by the next week they would be done. He took down my info and whatnot, then I waited.

The last call, I talked to Kurtis again; shipping to HI went from something like $450 to under $250. Every penny saved is worthwhile, and the extra money was a huge help (ended up needing it later) So I ordered everything right there.

Talking to Kurtis, Jesse and Stephen was a pleasurable experience; all were professional and answered what questions I had about their products, and I will be ordering from them again in the future. (UCAs and bumpers, hopefully)

My only gripe with AP is that I did not receive AP stickers with my expos/shocks. The expos flex great, but the extra 3" of flex from AP stickers would have made them amazing. :cookiemonster:

TL; DR
    :
    Positive experience. Talked to pretty much everyone who answers their phones over there and they all told me to hold ordering till they worked me a lower shipping price, ended up saving a good chunk of change. Will order again.

Expo review:
    I love them.
    unloaded, they gave me 4.3" of lift.
    They actually ride a hell of a lot better than my AALs, even without any weight in the bed. Throw a few sandbags in there, and they ride smooth, like stock IMHO.
    If you're going to wheel, and you dont usually carry weight, I'd throw a few sandbags in there. They flex nicely, but with no weight they like to throw one tire in the air before they get anywhere near their limit (common sense, I know... But I forgot to throw my bags back in there the last wheeling trip)
    Offroad, theyre awesome. Compared to my AAL setup, it was night and day. Even unloaded, on my last trip it was like driving a different truck. Compared to the stock pack on blocks on the truck I wheeled with, let's just say he wanted to know the info about the expos :D
    Add some weight in the bed (I usually keep a 200-250lb sandbag) and they ride smooth and handle like a dream.
    Theyre also somewhat noisy, but that's to be expected.

Note:

If you plan to run Expos with their 1.5" shackles you will need to reroute your stock exhaust (if you're still running it). Even with OME's exhaust relocate bracket, the expos with the shackles didnt have enough clearance between the pipe and the springs.
    (my safety check shop wont let me just dump it after the axle :pout:)

Even without weight, they flex nicely. Especially matched with AP's shackles.
    [​IMG]

http://youtu.be/3LOtPUX10QA

After my install I got a tiiiiiiiiny bit of vibrations from 20-25 MPH, though it's nothing too bad. my CB drop experience will be detailed in my build.

2. Aug 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Good to hear.

3. Aug 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Thanks for the review Cody!
    Glad you like the springs.
    I'm surprised you didn't get any stickers. We normally include them with every order, ESPECIALLY the big ones.

I'll mail you out a few of them on Monday.

Mahalo brotha!

4. Aug 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    :woot:
    I'll gladly throw some AP love on the truck. I need all the torque/HP/flex I can get :D

5. Aug 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Put a picture of my truck in yours :cookiemonster:

6. Aug 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    you know, a long time ago I asked kurtis about those supah gnar doorsides that ive seen around................................................................................................................... :cookiemonster:

It doesnt matter how fast I'm going now. Or where I'm going. The truck is now supercharged and LT and shoots pew pew lazers
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
  8. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    allpro

allpro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    All Kinds Of Toyotas!!!
    Cody whats funny is i sit at my desk and just go pew pew pew randomly everyday! i started cracking up when i saw your post.

- Kurtis

Thank you for the review glad we got it all worked out for much cheaper then we originally thought. Thanks for the review on the springs as well its always nice to see what people think of them with no weight in the back.

9. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    l_eb6846910794ac05456d2475c79c6bf0d43d69c1.jpg

10. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    I also love my All Pro standard Duty Springs!

+1 All Pro!

All Pro: ps. I will be getting the tube hybrid bumper thanks to you guys for hooking up with CT4WD Gear Shop in Calgary, AB

11. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    :D :thumbsup:
    hopefully by next year I'll be running that front hybrid too. Damn thing's sexy

12. Aug 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    :woot:
    Thanks scuba!
    [​IMG]

And on another note, a friend of mine recently bought a set of 5150's from a guy who had a Jeep, and the bushings that came with the 5150s were not the correct size for tacomas. The friend knew that I was running 5150's so he asked me if I knew where to grab a set of bushings for him

a few emails to Kurtis, and a few $2 bushings later, I'm now not the only one in kona running 5150's in the rear.

My list of positive experiences with AP grows.

13. Aug 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    No problem man. Rock the shit out of those! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top