I'm in a pinch to get a used quad for a last-minute project at work. The best thing I can find locally is a 2004 Polaris 500. I took it for a spin and looked it over, it's in great shape BUT the other 6 quads in our fleet are Honda, and my 2 personal quads are Honda and I'm not sure if I like the way Polaris is set up.
I'm not trying to start a Polaris vs. Honda debate, just more of "is Polaris good at making quads" thread. I'm very pleased with all my Hondas but this is for work and I don't need to like it, it just needs to last and be tough.
1. The Polaris is belt drive: Does this hold up well when muddy dirty?
2. The Polaris is not 4wd but AWD, the seller claims it's 2WD until the rears slip and then the front engages: Any feedback on how well this works?
3. The racks are plastic: Will I be replacing these annually?
4. There are no "gears", it's like a snow-machine in that respect: how is this for trails/towing?
5. I scoured some ATV forums and I saw alot of Polaris owners complaining about design flaws and stuff breaking, but it seems like folks are only motivated to write when they've had a bad experience, not when they've had no problems: what's the concensus on TW?
Thanks in advance for your input, I appreciate it.