Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Snow Plow for ATV?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Snow Plow for ATV?

I'm in need of a snow plow setup for a 2006 Suzuki King Quad 750 and I don't even know where to start. Whats a good company? What should I look for?

The quad has a winch, are there winch operated snow plows?

I'm figuring I'll need to run chains for traction. Any of you plowers run sandbags etc. for extra weight/traction?

Any tips?

What is the snow depth limit for an ATV? snow is medium pack, sierra NV type.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
tcoe99 will become famous soon enoughtcoe99 will become famous soon enough
tcoe99's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know about down there but here you can get one anywhere. A bracket just gets bolted on the frame, drive over it hook it up, winch makes plow go up and down. I used to use one to clear snow, until i sucked it up and got a tractor. Have you tried a farm supply store?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
I've been doing some searching and i think i might go with a moose quick mount set up. Also, i've heard using the winch to lift and drop the blade puts a lot of wear and tear on it and the fair lead. There are several systems that lift the blade and save your winch. Adds a few more dollars to the set up though. I don't have any experience plowing with an ATV but i will get lots this winter. My condo, 2 houses and 2 shops is what i'll be clearing.
It seems the amount of snow you can clear depends on how wide the blade is and how much power your ATV has.

http://www.mooseutilities.com/
Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
I've been doing some searching and i think i might go with a moose quick mount set up. Also, i've heard using the winch to lift and drop the blade puts a lot of wear and tear on it and the fair lead. There are several systems that lift the blade and save your winch. Adds a few more dollars to the set up though. I don't have any experience plowing with an ATV but i will get lots this winter. My condo, 2 houses and 2 shops is what i'll be clearing.
It seems the amount of snow you can clear depends on how wide the blade is and how much power your ATV has.

http://www.mooseutilities.com/
Yep, this is about where my research ended too. Moose setup looks perfect. I'm definitely using the winch tho... ATV is so hard to get stuck I can't find a use for it otherwise.

Going with the 60" country plow. I hope it works... get a lot of snow up there.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
Warn makes a really nice setup too. I have a Warn plow for my Brute Force. I bought the plow new, but used. It was a manual plow setup that i modified to work with my winch
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
At my last house, we used the setup below on our Yamaha 450. It was a moose brand quick connect & used the winch & if I remember correctly the blade itself had some adjustments. Our driveway was pretty long/wide but you definately had to prepare for where to put the snow. We did not run chains either for the area was mostly flat & didn't want to tear up the ground. It worked really well for the price. Yamaha was offering them free with the purchase at the time.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
Cant beat free...i paid $100 for my Warn setup complete. I did away with the "J" bolt setup. The J bolt is a sheer pin. I also have a Viper Max 4000 winch
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
JDTRD88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
JDTRD88's Tacoma Gallery
i got two bikes with plows, there winch activated and the two of them a WARN, by far the best plows out there, i dont run any chains or anything, and are snow up here in nova scotia is WET! none of that fluffy stuff haha i just put it in 4wd and give it a little extra gas, but then again im driving two yamaha's and not a suzuki haha
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
I install probably about 20-30 winch/plow set-ups a year and, believe me, there's a big difference in quality. I wouldn't use anything else but WARN! Moose just seems to get really wobbly quickly.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd stay away from those country style plows, that ones you see on highway trucks meant to throw the snow to one side. ATV's aren't heavy enough for those plows. For deeper snow, having the ability to convert it to a V-plow is a nice feature for a light pusher like a quad. I'm not sure how much snow you're looking at pushing but, like Simon's Mom said, you just have to plan your route and were you'll be putting the snow and make smaller paths if you get a lot of snow.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #11

Decided to go big. Went with a 23hp 48" snow blower.

http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.co...snowblower.htm

I'm only 10min away from a ski resort... lots of snow to move.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Decided to go big. Went with a 23hp 48" snow blower.

http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.co...snowblower.htm

I'm only 10min away from a ski resort... lots of snow to move.

Thanks for all the input!

You sure did!
Let us know how it works out.
I have had a cycle country plow on my Honda Recon (2wd) for a few years and have been contemplating getting a plow for my Honda Foreman as well but this might change my mind.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
You sure did!
Let us know how it works out.
I have had a cycle country plow on my Honda Recon (2wd) for a few years and have been contemplating getting a plow for my Honda Foreman as well but this might change my mind.
It's great! Has a few kinks to work out, I need to fab up a snorkle for the deep snow but the power to weight is impressive:

Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
It's great! Has a few kinks to work out, I need to fab up a snorkle for the deep snow but the power to weight is impressive:

that is awesome
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
Shawman20 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joshua
Shawman20's Tacoma Gallery
That thing is massive. Bet you that will move some snow.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawman20 View Post
That thing is massive. Bet you that will move some snow.
It does a great job of moving snow: single pass on 3' deep snow, lot is clean to the asphalt.

It's not near as fun as the plow though; the plow is more like demolition derby whereas the blower is more like a sit down lawn mower.