Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Popping and Backfiring when you let off the throttle

Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Popping and Backfiring when you let off the throttle

Got a quick question for anyone who would have an idea about this!

I have a 2003 z-400 and it runs great doesn't burn any oil doesn't miss runs good! But ever since i bought it about 4 months ago it has popped and back fired any time you let off the gas. I thought it might have been the rusted through muffler on it so I bought a DG racing pipe from a guy off Craigslist that looks like its brand new and it seems to do it even worse now. I am running a 160 main jet cause it be popping and back firing because its running to lean or rich? Every where I've read they say I should be running a 175 but I havent had to time mess with it yet.

Doesn't have an exhaust leak anywhere? Any thoughts or ideas of how to fix it cause its about to drive me nuts!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
rejet the carb. do a google search on it. I dont remember if that means it too lean or to rich but will more than likely need to be rejetted. I did it to my 400ex a few months ago. its not hard as long as you dont have any stubborn nuts or screws that dont wanna come out.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...-backfire.html

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Slaughtering goats
emtlibby will become famous soon enough
emtlibby's Tacoma Gallery
my old vw's used to do this whenever too rich, or timing off. Setting timing, cleaning my points, and a carb cleaning usually worked for me.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
TundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cris
TundraStop's Tacoma Gallery
Jet it you need larger jets! A pipe will help also!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
TundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTundraStop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cris
TundraStop's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the truth just by the jets they are like 3-8$ a piece
Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Z400 also ... that bike is bullet proof! Too bad I don't ride it anymore...

I agree, sounds like you are running lean.
Before you re-jet it upgrade the intake, we use k&n on everything. You might want to get that pipe re-packed since you don't know how long it's been used or when it was last serviced. Once you have the pipe and intake set up how you want then work on the jetting, its best to get the specs from a forum for the set-up you have and your location.
Yup, buy a couple size jets up and down instead of the kit, much cheaper.