Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Can you guys tell me a bit about 2 strokes?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Can you guys tell me a bit about 2 strokes?

I heard about "fouling plugs" but whats that?

Do i got to keep it in high RPMs?

I check "thumpertalk" but no luck
Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
trailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant futuretrailmaker has a brilliant future
trailmaker's Tacoma Gallery
I think older two strokes could foul plugs if run at low rpms.
A modern two stroke should not foul plugs regularly. If it does you may need to adjust jetting in the carburetor. Running the wrong oil ratio might also be a problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Often plugs are fouled from incorrect oil fuel ratio.
More often from setting the carb too rich.

Some old bikes had oil injection so you did not mix it with the gas.
Emmission controls pretty much killed the 2 stroke.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of torque but not worth my time for maintenance issues.

Not necessarily high rpm's, but keep it in the "power band."
Old 09-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Four stroke... FTW
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Well a properly set up 2 stroke should idle all day without fouling. You just need to have the jetting right.

I lug my bike all the time in the mountains and scream it in the desert and it doesn't miss a beat. I can also always get the hole shot against the 4 strokes in the harescrambles because my bike starts in gear first kick every time (dead engine starts).

Oh and 2 stoke FTW!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You're not going to get any info from Thumpertalk, Thumpers are 4 strokes.

2 strokes don't have the low end power of a four stroke so you're better off keeping RPMs up. A 4 stroke will lug way down and has the torque to just roll on the throttle and rev back up. A 2 stroke has a more narrow power band and is more towards the top of the rev range so you end up downshifting rather than lugging the engine. Newer 2 strokes are certainly much better than the old ones and should idle fine and are built with better low end power than the old ones. It also depends on what the bike was built for and any aftermarket parts. A motocross bike will not have much for low end power and will run much better when wound out and should have a pretty knarly power band. A trail bike will have more even power delivery through the rev range and a fairly even tempered power band. Aftermarket pipes, carbs and jet kits can dramatically change the characteristics of the 2 strokes.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, stay in the powerband with 2 strokes, I have personally blown up 1, and it was my goped .

Your in cali so if you do get a dirtbike the magic year is 2003 and older to keep a green sticker.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You're not going to get any info from Thumpertalk, Thumpers are 4 strokes.

2 strokes don't have the low end power of a four stroke so you're better off keeping RPMs up. A 4 stroke will lug way down and has the torque to just roll on the throttle and rev back up. A 2 stroke has a more narrow power band and is more towards the top of the rev range so you end up downshifting rather than lugging the engine. Newer 2 strokes are certainly much better than the old ones and should idle fine and are built with better low end power than the old ones. It also depends on what the bike was built for and any aftermarket parts. A motocross bike will not have much for low end power and will run much better when wound out and should have a pretty knarly power band. A trail bike will have more even power delivery through the rev range and a fairly even tempered power band. Aftermarket pipes, carbs and jet kits can dramatically change the characteristics of the 2 strokes.
Actually Thumpertalk is awesome, even for 2 strokes.
I believe the OP is looking at getting a KTM 250 though so KTMtalk is also really good.

Also most of this info is true for 125's, but not the newer 250's. No need to keep a 250 wound out unless your in a sandwash.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
yeah, stay in the powerband with 2 strokes, I have personally blown up 1, and it was my goped .

Your in cali so if you do get a dirtbike the magic year is 2003 and older to keep a green sticker.
Oh, forgot about that.

In that case, I would look for a nice yz125 or 250 older than '03.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
As it's been mentioned already, you shouldn't be fouling plugs unless it jetted wrong/carb is not adjusted right or the fuel mixture is off.

If you've never ridden a two stroke before, ride some and you'll get the notion pretty quick on whether or not you like how they ride and feel compared to a four stroke.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
I heard about "fouling plugs" but whats that?

Do i got to keep it in high RPMs?

I check "thumpertalk" but no luck

LOL, going to "thumper talk" for info on a 2 stroke ??

Oh yeah one bit of info , 2 stroke will run backwards
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I believe the OP is looking at getting a KTM 250 though so KTMtalk is also really good.

Also most of this info is true for 125's, but not the newer 250's. No need to keep a 250 wound out unless your in a sandwash.
Agreed, I had no idea what kind/size of bike the OP was referring to. I had an old '73 2 stroke that was extremely tempermental and much different than my 80's 2 strokes which were different still from those made in the 90's and later. I tried to give him the general overview not really knowing what he was looking for. Good luck OP!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Agreed, I had no idea what kind/size of bike the OP was referring to. I had an old '73 2 stroke that was extremely tempermental and much different than my 80's 2 strokes which were different still from those made in the 90's and later. I tried to give him the general overview not really knowing what he was looking for. Good luck OP!

Yeah, bikes have changed a little bit since the '80's
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

x2. Plenty of 2stroke info on Thumpertalk. You might have to work at it a little: you can find good general 2 stroke info in the YZ250 section if you don't find it in the KTM section.

Fouling plugs isn't a big concern for me. The only time I have issues with plugs is when I'm rejetting after new a new pipe or top end.

2strokes are happier when you're in the power: Chainsaws, for example, are just little 2 strokes, they work well at idle and full throttle; running them inbetween just mucks things up.

For you haters: Someone is working on a direct injection 2 stroke engine= goodbye 4strokes. The popularity of 4stroke dirtbikes is all a big conspiracy from Honda anyway. But I do love my 4stroke too.....
Old 09-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh, forgot about that.

In that case, I would look for a nice yz125 or 250 older than '03.
Yup cali sucks. The yamaha would be my choice as well
Old 09-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oh and 2 stoke FTW!

X10. Oh how I love them 2 strokes. I'll add an TZ, YZ or RZ/RD to my collection, any day.

Watch this vid where a TZ250 is giving a R1 a run for the money. Those TZ's are badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL7ZbomydgI
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, original question. You need to mix oil/gas for 2 strokes so buy a measuring cup. You'll need to learn how to use the clutch. And there isn't any engine braking, that's what the brakes are for.

After that it's all fun and you'll be happy when you save $$$ by doing your own work on them, very basic motor.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Oh yeah, original question. You need to mix oil/gas for 2 strokes so buy a measuring cup. You'll need to learn how to use the clutch. And there isn't any engine braking, that's what the brakes are for.

After that it's all fun and you'll be happy when you save $$$ by doing your own work on them, very basic motor.
Also don't use castor based 2 stroke oil if your not going to be screaming it all the time because it tends to clog things up (even though its smells really really good).
I use belray MC1 and have been using the same spark plug for at least 25 hours.