Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Thinking of Getting a dual sport.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of Getting a dual sport.

Heres how it goes, ive been riding for awhile now and have always ridden 2 strokes, but now i got the itch for a 4 stroke street legal bike to take on some adventures. Im kinda leaning towards the DRZ400s and found a good deal on an 06 with 2600 miles for 2800. Its the end of wildland fire season and i have some extra money to play with lol, i was origianally going to go for one of the followin
-go mid travel front and rear on the taco
-buy a downhill bike
-buy cbr600rr

this dual sport kinda touches on what i would be doing with any of those. Comments? suggestions? i want to hear your opinions fellow TW members
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm also thinking about getting a dual sport but mine would stay on the street. I have no idea where to begine looking.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
The drz400 SM is a supermoto from factory with everything to keep you happy. 60mpg avg isnt bad either. the honda 650 is just too heavy. ktms are super overpriced! the drz 400's have been known to go 30k+ on an original piston when taken care of. thats what got me.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
DRZ SM FTW!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of dual sporting do you plan on doing?

If you want something to waste more time, go to www.advrider.com and have a look around.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
My dual sporting will be few highway miles and mostly dirt trails and forest service dirtroads, i work as a seasonal wildland firefighter and theres always cool stuff out in the woods.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Camping? Carrying stuff? DRZ will work for that.

A friend of mine just did 600 miles of dirt in Ridgecrest on his. So you'd be good to go.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
yea, nothing too brutal on the bike. im trying to play it safer now that i have a carreer going for me.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
KTM=kost too much

The only reaosn I plan to stay on the road is because I have a raptor 700 that I use for dirt. I would get the dual sport to save on gas and maybe for an easy dirt trail every now and then where ohv vehicles aren't allowed.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #10

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
The other thing you might look at is a Yamaha WR450 or Honda CRF450 for comparison.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
DRZ-E is the shit. My buddy has one and I've ridden it several times, it's a great mid-priced dual sport. I ride it's bigger bro the DR650, love it.

The DRZ is a bit tame out of the box, there's a good chancy you'll soon get bored twisting the throttle; fortunately a few hundo after uncorking it you'll be happy again. The gearing is a bit low for the highway and it gets real buzzy and high RPS (it's closer geared for dirt). You can fix this with a $30 sprocket and 15min of work swapping it if you're hitting the highway.

When you factor the price, factor these items too: JD jet kit + fuel needle (about $60), an aftermarket pipe (FMF or something $200-500), Tires (the stock tires suck, but you have LOTS of options depending on your primary riding from full knobbies to slicks $60 to 150 each). And of course bark-busters, wrap around aluminum frame ones (vital for that first time you drop it in the dirt, they will save all those fancy dual-sport controls). Probably a sprocket to higher/lower the gear ratio $30.

Also, you'll need a helmet, riding boots, and some other shit but those 2 are the most important.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
the DRz400 will meet all my needs and i can get an awesome deal. hopefully it will still be there monday when i make the move lol
Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
heres a pic of the bikeThinking of Getting a dual sport.-drz.jpg
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
i had an older dr350 and it was the shit on the street. road some friends drz400's not to long ago and they are really nice. i'd say go for the drz for sure
Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
i go back to socal tomorrow night, but i have to wait till monday for the bank to open, hopefully the guy still has it
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
DRZ-E is the shit. My buddy has one and I've ridden it several times, it's a great mid-priced dual sport. I ride it's bigger bro the DR650, love it.

The DRZ is a bit tame out of the box, there's a good chancy you'll soon get bored twisting the throttle; fortunately a few hundo after uncorking it you'll be happy again. The gearing is a bit low for the highway and it gets real buzzy and high RPS (it's closer geared for dirt). You can fix this with a $30 sprocket and 15min of work swapping it if you're hitting the highway.

When you factor the price, factor these items too: JD jet kit + fuel needle (about $60), an aftermarket pipe (FMF or something $200-500), Tires (the stock tires suck, but you have LOTS of options depending on your primary riding from full knobbies to slicks $60 to 150 each). And of course bark-busters, wrap around aluminum frame ones (vital for that first time you drop it in the dirt, they will save all those fancy dual-sport controls). Probably a sprocket to higher/lower the gear ratio $30.

Also, you'll need a helmet, riding boots, and some other shit but those 2 are the most important.
this bike already comes with all this stuff i already have gear from my usual weekend riding. so ill save myself a few bucks
Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbmx View Post
this bike already comes with all this stuff i already have gear from my usual weekend riding. so ill save myself a few bucks
Looks perfect. Desert tank and all. Get it.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #18

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Bike looks like it's ready to go. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I had a DRZ400S a few years ago, and it was okay. I had it piped, jetted and it made it a bit better. If you want to hit fire roads n such it will probably be what you want. Here is a pic of my old blue beast.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
I have a dual sport and I too converted from a 2 stroke. Altho there is less power, its worth being able to go anywhere you want. I have not regrets. I also have a yamaha yz 225 dual sport. haha