Notices

I need tips on buying a new ATV

Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
USNavyEOD is on a distinguished road
Navy: EOD Tech
Name: Mike
USNavyEOD's Tacoma Gallery
I need tips on buying a new ATV

I am looking at getting a new 11 Honda Foreman 4x4 500 when I get back from this deployment. I plan on using it for hunting/trail riding and hauling it in my DC/LB (until I get my camper shell and then have to get a trailer.) I have bought new cars/trucks before many times but never a new ATV/bike.

The MSRP is $7549.00. My question(s) is/are... Is it the same as dealing with car dealers? Is the MSRP what you have to pay or is there "wiggle" room from dealer invoice to MSRP? I live in the Norfolk, VA area. Is it worth me playing dealer against dealer to try and get a better deal?

Thanks for the help and words of wisdom.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't bought an ATV for a while, but there's definitely wiggle room. I believe I bought my $6500 msrp sport quad for $5200. Those are 6.5 year old stats, so I can't remember for certain. But I would definitely go in planning to wiggle
Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
USNavyEOD is on a distinguished road
Navy: EOD Tech
Name: Mike
USNavyEOD's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help! I thought there might be some room for negotiation...In this economy, I can't see people lining up outside the showroom waiting to buy. I've just never heard anyone talk about it concerning ATVs/bikes. I even did a search on it and the only thing I could find was tips on buying used ATVs/bikes. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
There is wiggle room. It's very likely they will try to throw in "free stuff" if you pay MSRP; like a helmet, cargo/rack bag, etc- be wary of these items, they're usually cheapos or old stock.

Also, since you're getting a Forman, don't get the service package, you won't need it.

Plan on getting better tires within the next year too, the stock ones are ok but there are much better aftermarket options.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
i'd get a rancher with IRS it does MUCH better than the solid rear axle on trails, in the mud, everywhere! i just picked one up, msrp on it was 6800+tax, i got it for 6100+tax