Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

ATV Extended Warranty

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
bluecluee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
bluecluee's Tacoma Gallery
ATV Extended Warranty

Does anyone have experience with buying ATV extended warranties? I recently bought a Polaris Sportsman XP and a five year warranty from Polaris is $1,000. This seems high but I'm considering it. Any suggestions on buying the extended warranty or not?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
My experience is...don't buy it, cause they will most always deny the claim. Or it will run out before you actually use it depending on a lot of factors.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy it. ATV's are pretty resilient and fairly simple to repair. $1,000 buys a lot of repairs for an ATV. Plus, they'll usually tell you it was due to misuse if you do happen to break something on it. What's the standard warranty?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Pass on the warranty!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Warranties on anything are nearly useless and extended warranties are a waste of money
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
you wont be able to do any mods with a warrenty.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I wouldn't buy it. ATV's are pretty resilient and fairly simple to repair. $1,000 buys a lot of repairs for an ATV. Plus, they'll usually tell you it was due to misuse if you do happen to break something on it. What's the standard warranty?
x2
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I bought it but I have never used it. I talked them down to $400 for 4 years though.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
I get extended on everything I own..
Ever used it?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
Warranties and mods all depend on the dealer. My Kawi dealer covers everything, unless the mod caused the direct problem. Then its 50/50 on corporate.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #11
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't waste your money, They bet on atleast half the warranty's sold are not even used and the money is banked. Then if you want to put a claim in for repairs under the extended warranty they will find an excuse not to cover it.

Never got the extended on my 10 yamaha Grizzly, just purchased the repair manual.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can do alot of repairs for 1,000$$$! Buy a repair manual and do the maintenance and repairs yourself! Atv's are not difficult to work on. Plus wrenching on it is half the fun IMO!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #13
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
goldfish is on a distinguished road
goldfish's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in a similar situation..just bought a YFZ450-X and bought the 2 year extended warranty but am now having second thoughts on whether or not the extra $480 is worth it for something I may never use
Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #15

My only hesitation is that my ATV has a ton of electronics that could easily cost a fortune to fix. I also know the power steering goes out fairly easily.

It looks like the majority votes no.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Brute Force 750 this summer and didn't even think about getting the warranty. Save the money and get some new tires or skids for it.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Dirty Trucker

I know that most of us that responded actually have quads. So i think he's getting a fair response from us Tacoma owners. I see your point though. You have a extremely expensive quad. so i might buy an extended warrantee on that sucker too!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Thats the trouble with asking ...lol..people have nothing to lose by answering.
Check out some ATV forums..a Tacoma forum is not the best place to check..
Thanks for your input everyone
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #19
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No..my quad is like a month old..at $17000..I am sure there are some parts that would be covered quickly by $1000.
I like peice of mind..so I pay for it..and don't ask people to pay it for me. I have a good relationship with the dealers/owners.. I buy from..so when it's time for warranty if I need it..they don't say oh there's that prick..no warranty for him.
I don't have time to wrench..so thats not my thing..I will pay someone..
$17000 quad
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecluee View Post
My only hesitation is that my ATV has a ton of electronics that could easily cost a fortune to fix. I also know the power steering goes out fairly easily.

It looks like the majority votes no.
Check out a Polaris forum and see what kind of experience those owners have had with warranties and what common problems there are with that quad. It may very well be worth it. Some friends of mine have had work done under factory warranty on Polaris atv's.

I have an 07 Suzuki LTZ400, 07 Suzuki LTR450 and 06 Yamaha YFZ450, so all race style bikes. The manufacturer warranties on these are crap, extended are completely worthless.

The only 1 I bought new is the LTZ400 and I regret everything about that purchase except that it got me started in a sport I love. I've had ZERO issues with that bike and based on others experiences from suzuki forums that bike lasts forever with hardly any common problems. The 450's both have issues and have cost us some $$, but none of the problems would have been covered under a warranty.