Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Noob Quad Questions

Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Noob Quad Questions

Just bought my first quad - a 2004 Honda EX400.
I know approximately ~nothing~ about quads, so I have a few questions for you guys.

01 ::
Can I load it on my 2007 pre-runner with ramps - and not worry about damaging the tailgate? I got a couple of decent metal ramps with it, I just don't know if the tailgate can take it. I plan on strapping the ramps so they don't slip, but I don't want to bend the tailgate.

02 ::
I got two 2004 400 EX quads, sand tires, gas cans and a trailer for $4000 - is that a good deal? They look well maintained, clean and they start right up.

03 ::
What's a good forum for Honda quads? (has to be almost as good as Tacoma World)

04 ::
What are some good sites to buy accessories and stuff? I need everything - helmet, gloves, googles blah blah blah.

05 ::
Anyone in the Phoenix area - what is a good shop to buy stuff from? I hear Ride Now is overpriced (yeh, everyone says that right?)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Can I load it on my 2007 pre-runner with ramps - and not worry about damaging the tailgate? I got a couple of decent metal ramps with it, I just don't know if the tailgate can take it. I plan on strapping the ramps so they don't slip, but I don't want to bend the tailgate.

Tailgate should be fine. There is a TSB out there for people who managed to bend theirs but I have yet to. I load a 450lb motorcycle using ramps and haven't done any damage (single ramp in the center of the tailgate, much worse situation that loading a quad).

I got two 2004 400 EX quads, sand tires, gas cans and a trailer for $4000 - is that a good deal? They look well maintained, clean and they start right up.

I would say you did pretty f-in well!

Not a clue, sorry...

What are some good sites to buy accessories and stuff? I need everything - helmet, gloves, googles blah blah blah.

Dennis Kirk but for apparell, I'd go to a store where you can try things on. Fall is a good time to buy since most powersport shops are clearing out the summer stuff and making way for the winter (at least that's the case here) Dennis Kirk has a good selection of parts also and will send you a catalog for free.

Anyone in the Phoenix area - what is a good shop to buy stuff from? I hear Ride Now is overpriced (yeh, everyone says that right?)

Not from that area, sorry again... good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Pugga!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
1. Yes your tailgate will handle the load.

2. That is an amazing deal! Around here one bike alone goes for $4000.

3. Check out ThumperTalk.com, I'm pretty sure they have an atv section.

4. I have always used Rockymountainatv.com. I have no complaints about them.

5. Check to see if there is a cyclegear near you. There is one by my house and if I need something quick, like a chain, tire, etc., their prices are not bad, considering you don't have to wait to get it shipped and they usually keep alot of stuff in stock.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
5. Check to see if there is a cyclegear near you.
Ah... there is, I will check it out!

M
Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
you did damn good for 4 grand. Dennis Kirk is good website if your looking for aftermarket parts,stock parts,clothing,gear,tires, they got good sales on all the time plus if you go onto their site you can ask them to send you a catalog of all their stuff. its about the size of a phone book.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I second Rocky Mountain for stuff. When I needed tires they were the cheapest.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
i30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i30nes's Tacoma Gallery
I use atvriders.com formerly riders. I use them a lot for info on my 300.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
goldfish is on a distinguished road
goldfish's Tacoma Gallery
You should be totally ok with the tailgate. I've loaded my 400 into my tacoma with no problems to the tailgate.

Two 400's and a trailer for $4000? I'd say that's pretty good. I paid $2200 for my one 400ex!

atvriders.com or thumpertalk.com are probably the two biggest quad forums you're gonna wanna check out.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #10
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
1. Yes, you can load it without any issue on the tailgate. The problem with the tailgates bending was weight in the middle not on the sides. I have a Z400, LTR450 and YFZ450, no problems.

2. Great deal!

3. Don't know off hand since I have Suzuki's and Yamaha's, but I'm sure you can find 1-2 good ones. Thumpertalks atv section isn't the best.

4. I use Rockymountainatv.com for a lot of stuff, Ebay for other stuff and whatever other sites a search brings up with the cheapest prices for random things.

5. Cycle Gear has a bigger selection of riding gear than Ride Now does, but I find that using the store to check your sizes then ordering online is much cheaper.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
orvis will become famous soon enough

Army:
orvis's Tacoma Gallery
you should also check out http://trackshare.com/ mostly canadian but still lots of good info
Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
tacomabud has a spectacular aura abouttacomabud has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bud
tacomabud's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomabud
I would say that's a good deal considering you have several accessories with the actual quads. Those ramps, tires, and trailer add up QUICK $$ wise.

The 400 EX is a popular quad, I'm sure there are VERY informative forums out there specifically for the 400. Sorry I cannot be more direct. However, another good overall quad riding site is atvconnection.com. A lot of information on there.

I also suggest rockymountainatv.com. I've bought many things from there, and I cannot be any more impressed with their service/shipping/quality! Another website to reference (a little smaller) is Shadetreepowersports.com
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post
I know approximately ~nothing~ about quads, so I have a few questions for you guys.

Make sure everything is tight, make regular oil changes, if you hear a knocking in the motor get one of your buddies that knows what he's doing to take a look at your valves before it gets worst.

www.rockymountainatv.com is good, I also use www.bobscycle.com and directly on manufacturers websites when I know what gear I want (ex. oakley or spy optics for goggles, foxapperel for gear and street wear, things like that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30nes View Post
I use atvriders.com formerly riders. I use them a lot for info on my 300.
That's a great forum, I've been a member since the good ol' exriders.com days. It's died down a bit in the last couple years but use the search engine and you can find just about anything and everything your looking to find.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Your tailgate can handle it, you got a good deal, rockymountainatv.com,Motorcyclesuperstore.com,moto sport.com, Check out exriders.com
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
bwilson624 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
bwilson624's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post

The tailgate will be fine I've been loading and unloading these things for a long time. Strap it down though you'll thank yourself. I have a one piece folding ramp that slides right under my 4wheeler after I load it its aluminum and very tough

Killer deal somebody needed money but its your gain.

I like exriders.com there are forums for everything in there(but not quite as bad ass as TW)

Motosport.com they are out of Oregon pretty good prices and excellent service.

Way far away but see answer 4

Welcome hope you enjoy your quads.