Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Sport Quad Comparison

Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
Sport Quad Comparison

I'm just doing some preliminary research. I have been out of the ATV world for a few years now. Last I was in, the primary competition in the Sport quads was between the 400s. Now, all the makes have a 450 class ATV and most have reverse (that's good to see). So, now I want to reaquaint myself to the differences.

I know that this is not an ATV site, but I'm comfortable here and feel this would be a good place to start. I really don't feel like joining some other forum and accidently ending up on one Make's Fanboy site. For example, I didn't join TW to see if it's better than the competition. I had to make the choice to 'Want' a Tacoma before coming here.

Anyway, I'd really like to gather some local TW opinions of the various bikes and who does what well. I'm really interested in anything 450+, so long as it is a sport quad.

Here are my requirements:
  • Trail ready
  • Dune Friendly
  • No racing needed
  • Reverse Required
  • Minimal Maintenance
  • Removable Fenders are a PLUS (though very rare)
  • Tons of fun

This is the list I've found so far:
  • Can-Am DS 450
  • Can-Am DS 450 X MX
  • Can-Am DS 450 X XC
  • Honda TRX450R
  • Honda TRX700XX
  • Kawasaki KFX 450R
  • KTM 450 XC
  • KTM 525 XC
  • KTM 450 SX
  • KTM 505 SX
  • Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
  • Suzuki QuadRacer R450
  • Yamaha YFZ450R
  • Yamaha YFZ450X
  • Yamaha Raptor 700R

Anyway, I'm sure I missed some, but I really don't think it's necessary for me to name them all. For my needs, the base models are probably adequate. And I imagine the Suxuki and Kawasaki are probably the same other than plastic, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Cogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCogge89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Justin
Cogge89's Tacoma Gallery
I have friends with the TRX 450, Quadracer 450, KFX 450, and raptor 700... I would pick the Raptor 700 hands down. It by far appeared to be the best "all around", and was great in the trails. Just my opinion though
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
goldfish is on a distinguished road
goldfish's Tacoma Gallery
I'm like 99% sure that the only 450 with reverse is the KFX450.

I would suggest the 700R or 700XX. You get the speed of the 450's with reverse included. Real big difference between the two is that the XX has independent rear suspension. While the raptor has the standard axle setup. Your call
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not all 450s have reverse. Yamaha's 450 doesn't have reverse.

I own a 2008 Raptor 700 SE and it has been such a great bike. It is slightly faster than the 450 in the drag race but the 450 will own it in the twisties. I ridden dunes and desert and it does well. I bought the SE model because of the colors but I never even touched the rebound and hi/low speed compression setting on the shocks. I crashed and ended up replacing the shocks with Elka shocks which have no adjustment but are set up for my weight and riding style. The fuel injection is really nice. Start and you are off. The problem with it is that it isn't self adjusting. You can go as far as removing the airbox lid or changing the exhaust tip but no more until you add fuel because they run lean from the factory. You will enjoy it though. I have had 0 problems with mine. I would add pics but I can't at work.

For more info: http://www.raptorforum.com
Decent prices on stuff: http://www.tqsatv.com/
Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
alright i can kinda help ya out here. the only 450 out right now that has reverse is the kawasaki 450. you can pick that but arent gonna go as fast. there for everyone thinks that the raptor 700s are the best. well my brother has one and i have to disagree they are so top heavy they are very easy to flip when riding trails fast. and the gearing in them sucks. i have a suzuki 450r and im telling you even know it doesnt have reverse its the best bike i have ever had. you have to do barely any maintenance to them for some reason some ppl have had them for 3 years and never ajusted the valves and still runs great. 2nd the zuki 450 is the fast 450 out there once you put the cherry bomb on and either take the baffel out or put the yoshi on it will smoke the raptor 700s i know from past experience and put in mind im not a real small guy i weigh about 225. just thought i would put my 2 cents in on this one and if anyone around zip code 26726 would wanna go ridin just msg me up and we can meet somewhere.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
no reverse, but the new Yamaha 450s are rated best IMO. I've got a honda 450r with about $9000 in aftermarket parts and motor upgrades and after demoing all the 450s and 700's, its the only quad i'd consider trading mine for... unless I was doing only trails and casual but fast riding, then the Honda 700xx gets my vote!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 06 quadracer. Just can't ride it enough. Trails are fun, just no reverse. You can usually just spin it around since its so wide and has so much power, but it does suck sometimes. I've put quite a few Raptors to shame and destroyed one at the Moto-X and Super-X track down here.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
the Honda 400ex is a good all around bike, they respond really well to minor upgrades like exaust and jets. i run mine in the dunes all the time. they have reverse, the rear fenders come completely off with the rear seat for easy to mess with you can get one realitively cheap and they are very reliable.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Thanks for the input. That does help quite a bit. I think 'maybe' what I was thinking about when I said most had reverse was possibly confused with the electric start. Didn't the original YFZ and TRX have kick-starts? I could be way off, but I seem to remember something like that from my 4-6 year old memory of when they were first coming out.

Anyway, now you're really screwed me up. The reason I like reverse so much is because both of my previous quads (250x and DVX400) had it. It's so convenient when trail riding.

Anyone have any experience with the Outlaw? The IRS is intriguing for the trail-riding due to ground clearance (though that's rarely an issue). Seems interesting though.

I hope to test drive as many as possible before actually pulling the trigger, but I little reading goes a long way in knowing which questions to ask/research.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Wow, that's a lot of quick replies, for reference, I was referring to post #5. I will have to catch up now.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I watch Dirt Trax TV on the Outdoor Channel and they couldn't stop saying good things about the Outlaw. The engine is awesome. There is a reason Can-Am and KTM use the same engine. Handling is also really good. My friend has one but I have never been in it but he seems to love it. That would have been my other bike choice.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

IMO the Polaris Outlaws design is outdated/inferior to the Japanese models. The KTM motors are the only thing going for them imo. even still, they're detuned versions of the ones in the KTM brand quads.
For irs, the 700xx is waaaaay better.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
As far as removable fenders, the only reason I even mentioned it was because on my old DVX, you could remove them all, just the actual wheel covering portion, and run it like a crotch rocket on 4 wheels. I really don't know if it made any difference, lol, but I would do that in the dunes. Anyway, glad to see the thread is getting some good traffic.

I'm pretty certain that if the YFZ came with reverse, my mind would be set. But I'm having a bit of trouble getting past that.

This decision is worse than picking which lift for my truck, lol
Old 10-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I watch Dirt Trax TV on the Outdoor Channel and they couldn't stop saying good things about the Outlaw. The engine is awesome. There is a reason Can-Am and KTM use the same engine. Handling is also really good. My friend has one but I have never been in it but he seems to love it. That would have been my other bike choice.
The Can-Am doesnt have a KTM motor. It has a Rotax built motor.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
The Can-Am doesnt have a KTM motor. It has a Rotax built motor.
I thought KTM, Can-Am and Polaris used the same engine. Still all great engines though.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
if you want a big bike the honda 700xx is a great bike, independent front and rear suspension but they are a big bike. and reverse, thats about all i know about them.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Raptor 700r GYTR FTW!!! I love it. I am 6'2" 180 lbs... its not top heavy... the only way it could tip over is if you don't lean with the FAST turns. The gearing is a little weird.... it does have reverse.

I liked that the shocks could be adjusted on the GYTR edition and i liked the plastics and the upgraded push bars and nerf bars.

Complaints.... none yet... just wish I had the newest version to have the gauge readings.

**Oh i do wish that the armor wasn't plastic.... but its just part of the upgrade process.

I will give Honda a shot on my next quad... just for a change.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Complaints.... none yet... just wish I had the newest version to have the gauge readings.
I heard they suck anyway. Get Trailtech. http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
easiest way to put it if you want reverse and wanna go faster than a 400 as much as i hate the raptors i would say go with the 700 raptor jus the first thing you will wanto to do is change the gearing if you wanna ride the woods and tight trails but if i had to pick all over again i wouldnt change anything for my ltr450
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I heard they suck anyway. Get Trailtech. http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html
Oh nice. Thanks! I thought about getting one before...

I just need to get a programmer first.... its gonna be like 250-300ish i think for that.