Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

quad pulling different directions

Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
quad pulling different directions

So I finally got around to working on my 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 220. It has been sitting for 5 years. I noticed that it will pull to the right or the left when braking. I'm wondering if this is a tie rod or shock issue. The shocks are not leaking and appear to be in good shape, so I'm assuming it has to be the tie rods.

Does anyone know if I can tell if my tie rods are bad just by visual inspection?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of brakes does that thing have? If they're hydraulic, bleed them, if not adjust them manually. As far as the tie rods, with the quad not moving, move the handlebar slightly side to side, how much play to you have (there shouldn't be much). You can check the alignment roughly using a tape measure, it should get you close enough for an ATV (disclaimer, don't do this for your truck, you can't be nearly precise enough). Lastly, check your tire pressures and make sure they're even side to side. Pressure differential front to back won't make a difference.

Edit: that's an old and light ATV that doesn't have braking control like a car. Some of it could just be caused by the tires grabbing at different times assuming you're on a loose surface.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
sounds like an alignment issue to me
I thought that but he said only when braking and it pulls different directions. My neighbor had one of those and they're squirrely when they're brand new because they're so narrow and light. Any off camber and they pull hard when braking. Good thing is it's simple to check through all the stuff I listed within an hour, there's not much to those ATV's.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you are riding and let go of the handle bars what does it do? If it pulls then it is your steering, if it only pulls when you hit the brake then it is your brakes.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What kind of brakes does that thing have? If they're hydraulic, bleed them, if not adjust them manually. As far as the tie rods, with the quad not moving, move the handlebar slightly side to side, how much play to you have (there shouldn't be much). You can check the alignment roughly using a tape measure, it should get you close enough for an ATV (disclaimer, don't do this for your truck, you can't be nearly precise enough). Lastly, check your tire pressures and make sure they're even side to side. Pressure differential front to back won't make a difference.

Edit: that's an old and light ATV that doesn't have braking control like a car. Some of it could just be caused by the tires grabbing at different times assuming you're on a loose surface.
The pulling occurs on all surfaces, including pavement. This is not something that happened before it sat for a couple year when I used to ride it, so I know there is an issue of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
sounds like an alignment issue to me
I think if it was an alignment issue it would only pull to one direction. When slowing down, it pulls to whichever side the steering wheel is favoring.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
If you are riding and let go of the handle bars what does it do? If it pulls then it is your steering, if it only pulls when you hit the brake then it is your brakes.
Good point, it will pull to either direction if I let off the gas and no brakes are applied. Thinking tie rods for sure now.

Do busted shocks have the same symptoms?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do the no hands trick. If it only when braking bleed the system as others have said. Check the brake lines for a collapsed line as well and check the pads.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Do the no hands trick. If it only when braking bleed the system as others have said. Check the brake lines for a collapsed line as well and check the pads.
Brakes by cable, no fluid involved
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

I've checked the brakes and they don't appear to be sticking
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlampRevamp View Post
Brakes by cable, no fluid involved
Ah. Not too familiar with the older quads.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlampRevamp View Post
I've checked the brakes and they don't appear to be sticking
A busted shock can cause symptoms but I don't think it'd be as severe as you're talking about. How much play do you have with the steering rack? Your brakes could be warped also after sitting for that long. I'm assuming they're disc brakes brakes? How about adjusting the brakes to make sure both sides are grabbing at the same time?