Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

any dirtbike mechanics or anybody know

Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
TACOMA03
socal19 is on a distinguished road
socal19's Tacoma Gallery
any dirtbike mechanics or anybody know

hey guys i have a 2002 yamaha yz250f. i recently went out riding and notice the bike will not idle. i let it sit for a while then got a carburetor rebuild kit, and put a new spark plug in it. i finally put new jets in the carb and everything. the bike took alittle while to start but i got it started. the bike will run only when i have the choke on when i take out the choke the bike will die. so i run the bike for a while with the choke on and he bike got hot and i heard the coolant sizzling so i turned of the bike.

anybody have any ideas on what can be wrong????
Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Did you put the same size jets in? Also have you messed with the idle screw?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Crazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
Crazyfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Look for an intake leak.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
ThumperTalk.com is your friend, my friend.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Did you put the same size jets in? Also have you messed with the idle screw?
x2 i would start by checking your jet to make sure your getting the right amount of fuel and mess with your idle screw, make sure they didn't turn it all the way out when they rebuilt your carb
Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
ThumperTalk.com is your friend, my friend.
this
Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
i also use thumper talk. they give some pretty sweat deals on parts also
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
TACOMA03
socal19 is on a distinguished road
socal19's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I put the same size jets and a new needle and seat...I've messed with the idle screw to see if I can set it but it doesn't matter I can have it rev high and once I turn off the choke its dead
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Thumpertalk FTW!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal19 View Post
Yea I put the same size jets and a new needle and seat...I've messed with the idle screw to see if I can set it but it doesn't matter I can have it rev high and once I turn off the choke its dead
It sounds like your pilot might be too small? Not sure, I don't know much about jetting 4 strokes.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
TacoMagnum is on a distinguished road
TacoMagnum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
this
x3... id try a bigger main if you need idle open all the time, or just turn the idle up on the side of the carb. but if the coolants bubbling out the ressy its a blown headgasket... i wouldnt be surprised. i race a yfz450 and have rebuilt mine many of times no big procedure. simple motors.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Timicha

Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
i'd say its got to be somthing with the jetting if it runs with the choke but dies with out. will it run if you are giving it throttle?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMagnum View Post
x3... id try a bigger main if you need idle open all the time, or just turn the idle up on the side of the carb. but if the coolants bubbling out the ressy its a blown headgasket... i wouldnt be surprised. i race a yfz450 and have rebuilt mine many of times no big procedure. simple motors.
wouldn't it be the pilot jet if it won't idle but will rev up fine? Also it probably just overheated from idling high and not moving. 4t's will do that within 5 minutes of idling if the idle is too high.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
bump up a size in the jets, at least the pilot. I had the same problem with my 06 wr250 and the bigger jets and a through cleaning of the carb to remove the varnish did the trick. Also check the float valve.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 yz250f...Adjust your fuel screw....or replace the pilot jet with one of the appropriate size. Also you might want to move the clip on the needle jet down a tab. Its easy to get to on the top of the carb. just take off the seat and the top plate of the carb and its right there. Down with the clip makes it richer....up will lean it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05offroad View Post
I have an 06 yz250f...Adjust your fuel screw....or replace the pilot jet with one of the appropriate size. Also you might want to move the clip on the needle jet down a tab. Its easy to get to on the top of the carb. just take off the seat and the top plate of the carb and its right there. Down with the clip makes it richer....up will lean it out.

This guy oughtta know !!

Nice tip Mike !!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
This guy oughtta know !!

Nice tip Mike !!
Ha yeah I just got done dealing with all sorts of problems like this... but the track sure was fun today
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
not sure, but if ur near orange county, our family owns a dirtbike dealership, yamaha suzuki n polaris! if thers a major problem bring it down and we can take a look! not sure if uve heard of it but its Bellflower Motorsports in bellflower, ca
Old 12-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #19
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
not sure, but if ur near orange county, our family owns a dirtbike dealership, yamaha suzuki n polaris! if thers a major problem bring it down and we can take a look! not sure if uve heard of it but its Bellflower Motorsports in bellflower, ca

how much for a top end labor?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Originally Posted by Mod
Cr125's are a whipcrack, hang onto that beyatch!!. lightswitch powerband,,you'll have nothing down low,,then KABOOM!!,,your doing the superman imitation trying to hold on.

Hold up !!

Got a better one for ya, the 1971 Suzuki TM400 cyclone 40-50 hp that you usually got all at once at about 7000 rpm & usually in a corner accelerating out. This bike put more guys in plaster than banana peels & ball bearings on an ice skating rink... Fast & damned near unbeatable down a level smooth straight, a flirt with death if trying to just power out of anything other than a straight away, I've had Maicos,CZ's, Yamahas, even one of those 1970 Kawasaki Centurian Green streaks that produced 18.5 HP at 11,500 rpm (100 CC's true story) & even that powerband warped bike didn't come as close to crippling me as that fuckin' Suzuki Cyclone..... not so fond memories .....