Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Lookin to purchase my first dirtbike.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
.Trdtaco315. is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
.Trdtaco315.'s Tacoma Gallery
Lookin to purchase my first dirtbike.

ok so... im lookin to get my first bike sometime after feb. im am about 170lbs 5'10. ive rode bikes before but not actually out for rides. so i have very little experience with the big bikes. my buddy who has been riding bikes since he was a wee one said, i should start with a 125. the 125 seem like id get bored with that quick. i wanna start with a 250, but he thing i should still stick with the 125.

so all of you that ride what do you think??
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a honda crf250r and love it. I ride trails mostly and it does everything I need it to. I say look into getting a 250 4 stroke. They are comparable to a 125 2 stroke in power and easier to maintain.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Find ya and old CR500. Just kiding, have you looked into the 4 strokes? My Buddy has a KTM its so awsome, It would have kicked my 250 ass easy and is the size of a 250, I wouldn't get a 125, but if you never rode much buy a cheep older one thats slow. And clean it up and resell. But after you ride a KTM you won't want to ride anything else. Even look for a Suki 350Dr to start. not a bad size bike but jsut to get your techinic down. I don't know what kind of riding are you after?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My first bike was a Honda crf 450... I just got used to the power. Granted I rode a quad before that.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #6

well then 250 it is im convinced. im not affraid to twist the throttle. ive gotten over the fact im proably gunna get bang up good.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
2stroke 250?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
YZ250
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...30/0/home.aspx
Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
jfisher is on a distinguished road
jfisher's Tacoma Gallery
the only thing i would watch out for with the 250's is that they need to have the valves checked at 40 hours, and sometimes they need a top end rebuild. so if you buy used take someone who knows what to look for. i have a KTM 400, best bike i've ever ridden
Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Have a 95 RM250 you can purchase.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #11

so everyone is sayin 250 2 stroke? screw the 125?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Nuckolls214 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
Nuckolls214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Trdtaco315. View Post
ok so... im lookin to get my first bike sometime after feb. im am about 170lbs 5'10. ive rode bikes before but not actually out for rides. so i have very little experience with the big bikes. my buddy who has been riding bikes since he was a wee one said, i should start with a 125. the 125 seem like id get bored with that quick. i wanna start with a 250, but he thing i should still stick with the 125.

so all of you that ride what do you think??
wanna buy my 2004 CRF250R its a 4 stroke and ive maintained it very frequently..its my baby but i need cash and dont have time to ride
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
125 2 stroke will be perfect for you and I promise you will not grow out of it within a year. It will also make you a much better rider in the long run.

Look for a nice used yz/kx/rm/sx and have fun!

the cr's are nice too but the motor on the newer ones is a bit lacking.

Edit: Definitely try to get a test ride on a good running 125 and 250 to see what you like best. (by trying one out I mean hit some whoops and berms and really try it out, not ride up and down a road because that tells you nothing about the bike)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Dont go straight to a 250!~!!! Get yourself a 250F FOUR STROKE, trust me you will be much more comfortable with the power. You will never get tired of the bikes power unless you just wanna do drags straight up and down the road. If you are doing trails and Track, being a fairly new beginner you will never maximize that bikes power. I have been racing for 10 years and still ride a CRF250, i was running a 250 two stroke for awhile, but turns out im faster and more comfortable on the four stroke. Thats just my opinion, get what you think will be fun, i spent alot of time in casts because of my 250 two stroke, they can be unpredictable. Looking forward to having you in the dirtbike community! Its hard to find a rush to match!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #15

dang theres just so many opinions.
i like the 250 4 stroke but i dont want to much power starting out cuz i know i will wanna twist the throttle.
i wanna be able to go fast and keep up with my buddies, but also be able to toss the bike around.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
Crash and burn live and learn
Hugebergen will become famous soon enoughHugebergen will become famous soon enough

Hugebergen's Tacoma Gallery
I started on a 250f. Scared when I first started, kinda didn't like it. But now I have gotten use to it I made the right choice. I ride track mostly but a tad bit of trail. You do need to check your valves every 40 hrs but if you don't hit the rev limiter alot you shouldn't need to worry about adjusting them. I've had my bike 3 years and valves are still in spec.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #17
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
250f is perfect.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
go for the 250F, i rode my cousins and its a blast, it takes off super fast compared to my 125, if you wanna ride track that bike is alot easier than a 125 cuz at the track i hafta keep up speed all the time over jumps and whoops, but i noticed after riding the 250F a few laps you can ride at your pace but then when approaching a jump or out of a corner or anything just a little twist of the throttle launches the bike. but its a heavy bike. for your weight the 250 is probably better, i liked the 4 stroke but ive never riden a 250. i think my bike is perfect for me weight and power wise cuz im 5'8 and weigh 130, honestly you wud probably weigh down the 125 a bit, thats what happend when my cousin with the 250 rode my bike. i cant really help between the 2 and 4 stroke decision but i definitely think you should just take the 125 out of the picture. goodluck! lemme know what bike you decide cuz we own a dirtbike dealership in bellflower, ca. we sell yamaha suzuki and polaris
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I know how it feels....

To be in casts from a 250 2-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
Dont go straight to a 250!~!!! Get yourself a 250F FOUR STROKE, trust me you will be much more comfortable with the power. You will never get tired of the bikes power unless you just wanna do drags straight up and down the road. If you are doing trails and Track, being a fairly new beginner you will never maximize that bikes power. I have been racing for 10 years and still ride a CRF250, i was running a 250 two stroke for awhile, but turns out im faster and more comfortable on the four stroke. Thats just my opinion, get what you think will be fun, i spent alot of time in casts because of my 250 two stroke, they can be unpredictable. Looking forward to having you in the dirtbike community! Its hard to find a rush to match!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #20

Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
go for the 250F, i rode my cousins and its a blast, it takes off super fast compared to my 125, if you wanna ride track that bike is alot easier than a 125 cuz at the track i hafta keep up speed all the time over jumps and whoops, but i noticed after riding the 250F a few laps you can ride at your pace but then when approaching a jump or out of a corner or anything just a little twist of the throttle launches the bike. but its a heavy bike. for your weight the 250 is probably better, i liked the 4 stroke but ive never riden a 250. i think my bike is perfect for me weight and power wise cuz im 5'8 and weigh 130, honestly you wud probably weigh down the 125 a bit, thats what happend when my cousin with the 250 rode my bike. i cant really help between the 2 and 4 stroke decision but i definitely think you should just take the 125 out of the picture. goodluck! lemme know what bike you decide cuz we own a dirtbike dealership in bellflower, ca. we sell yamaha suzuki and polaris

Damn, hommie! you a shortie