1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Most Reliable and Best Utility ATV " For My Described Use "

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by BCH, Jan 1, 2011.

?

Best Brand for me

1. Polaris 800 EFI

19.5%
  2. Honda 680

38.1%
  3. Arctic Cat

4.4%
  4. Suzuki King Quad

6.2%
  5. Yamaha Grizzly

31.9%
  1. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
    i have a 2006 Honda rancher 400at
    its a great machine ive never had any issues with it starts right up even in very cold conditions
    i do mostly trail riding

im now looking at a kawi brute force 750 4x4
    and will let my old ladie ride the honda

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    "OLYMPIC VIEW"

"OLYMPIC VIEW" Well-Known Member

Member:
    WHIDBEY ISLAND, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT D/C LB...1987 SR-5 4WD XCAB
  3. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Honda is the best 4-wheeler for farm use. You can't kill them unless you ever go play in the mud and water it will turn into a mosquito fogger...

4. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Brute is the best on the market IMO... I owned the 750i and that was the sweetest riding bike ever. Stock motor would spin 28" tires like it was the stock 26's

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
    ya i have heard nothing but great things about them... hopefully i can find someone to buy my streetbike and pick one up

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i have owned a lot of different brands over the years and have several friends in the motorcycle industry. From my experience when it comes to brands is that Honda is one of the most reliable and makes some bulletproof motors. Yamaha makes some high performance stuff, but sometimes not as reliable (but definitely a good brand). I don't have experience with the 4x4 quads so I would recommend looking into some past issues of ATV magazines and read the shootout articles. I think they will be your best resource because they will talk about all of the aspects including comfort (something no one has mentioned yet!). One of the other things that I look for when considering purchasing a toy vehicle is the availability of parts. If a manufacturer makes the same model for 6 years and shares some of the parts with other models then there is a good chance that parts will be easy to find and cheap... but if they only made it for 2 years and then re-designed the whole thing, it will be much harder to find parts and if you can get them they will most likely be more expensive.

7. Jan 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
  8. Jan 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    toytacoma22

toytacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    COS
    3" Icon Lift, TC UCA, OME Dakars, Allpro front and rear bumpers.
    I have a 2010 Brute 750 and that thing is bad ass to say the least.

9. Jan 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    if i were you, i would buy an arctic cat. I have a 2007 650h1, and while its not the fastest atv speed wise, itll outpull, and out-do any other machine out there. the H1 engine is arctic cats OWN engine, made IN HOUSE in the USA, in MN at their hq. it comes stock with the 3.6 gears, and their belt-drive system is the same out of their sleds so its very reliable. Polaris is an ugly machine, and in my experiences, sucks all together. i have a buddy who has one, and i end up having to pull him back to the trailer more often than he rides the friggen thing. plus arctic cat has the highest ground clearance in class, and you can fit up to a 30" tire without a lift kit. the independent suspension is a must on any four wheeler, the H1's have that, plus if you buy one newer than 06 they come with a front diff locker to give you TRUE 4wd, and that instantly turns your rig into a tank. so, low gearing stock is good for pulling, the hemi engine in the H1's are built like brick shithouses, and the quad is just overall amazing with the arctic cat belt drive that is the same as in their snowmobiles which also have good reviews. but font mistake the H1 for the V2 and think oh its the same, bc its not. the v2's have big problems with the frames rotting out, no low end power, and its actually a kawasaki engine, and NOT the one from the brute force. its from the prairie. so dont get the v2, theyre junk. make sure its an H1.

10. Jan 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    I have an 03 Honda Rancher 350 with over 500 hours on it and its never skipped a beat. Ive changed the oil and air filter every so often and replaced the spark plug once. Its unbelievable how reliable its been and how easy it starts in low tempuratures even compared to efi models. Ive pulled neighbors cars out in the snow, pulled my boat around the yard and pulled a trailer full of split firewood with no problems at all. I have riden plenty of atvs and would never buy anything other than a Honda, I really dont see the necessity of an 800cc atv, my 350 has plenty of power. Also dont understand all the electronic bs on the newer model atvs, power steering, efi, ecm. Give me a carburated, manual transmission over that stuff any day because I dont want to ever take it back to the dealer once it leaves!

11. Jan 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    I have a Honda Foreman 450s(pic in my signature) never have a problem with it i did not cause, it has over 1k hours and 3k miles, only thing done to it was oil change, brakes, barrings alll because of mud, has a low first gear so pulling is not problem i've pulling my taco with it. It has part time 4x and i put a 3k lb winch which has never been used to pull it out yet. Honda Ride Red

12. Jan 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    91Toyotabogger

91Toyotabogger "Loud Tires Can Save Lives"

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    91 4wd 5sp manual Pickup Standard cab white
    Mud Tires, CD player, CB radio with PA speaker, De-badged, window decals, Flow Master 40 series
    Honda Power
    l_81e0d1b0a5904983a4e518380208eb8a.jpg

l_62305bb6c6aee0f382cd1ac4c65ae8c2.jpg

m_c60d5df7716148b896646b59ccfcb442.jpg

13. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Where I come from ATV's are more popular than cars, everybody owns one, The Honda is the most reliable, but they are s--l--o--w, underpowered and have very weak suspension.
    Yamaha's seem to break down, but are cheap and easy to fix, but offer great engine power and toughness
    Suzuki's are in my opnion the best ATV on the market, they offer the best perfomance with balance and handlng
    Polaris in my opnion are the worst ATV's out there, major engine problems, cracked frames, belt drive slipping problems, and are considered the laughing stock of all ATV's

14. Jan 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    the Grizzly is a reliable bike. bought mine new in 2002. i'm not hard on it like i used to be, however it's first few years of life were tough to say the least. i still have it and my repair list over the last eight years has been short: 1 rear wheel bearing, 1 battery, 1 coolant hose (my bad--damned stick), 1 foot-floorboard (again, my bad :D) and a set of brake pads. my buddy bought a Kawi 650 V-twin at the same time and his was in the shop 3 times in the first few months. the only incident where my bike has ever failed to fire was when the battery died at 6 years of age.

they have more than enough in the power department. mine is the 660cc carbureted model and i can stand it up easily...have not gotten to ride a FI model...must be tits.

15. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I totally agree! The Yamaha Grizzly is one of the best, but the newest ones were redisigned and made cheaper, The 750 and 550 is on the exact same frame and nearly idendical in power, the most popular Yamaha around here is the manual shift Big Bear, thats a true do anything, go anywhere ATV.
    I also agree about the Kawasaki Brute Force, they are totally junk and they are not that fast as everybody likes to think, they have faster acceleration, but the top end isn't fast.
    ATV's is like a religion around here, lots of places to ride, poker runs every weekend, use for hunting, for hauling firewood from the woods, snow plowing and for the drunks that lost their drivers license that can still drive to the bars without going on the roads, on a typical Sunday afternoon you will see highway bars with 20 ATV's parked outside.
    90% of the brands around here are Yamaha and Honda, I am one of the black sheep that owns a Suzuki King Quad 750, but the Polaris brand is looked down upon, Polaris is so bad that nobody wants to fix them, not even the Polaris Dealer will fix them!

16. Jan 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    I have a 05 Honda 400EX and recently purchased a 05 Yamaha Kodiak 450. I believe either one of these brands will be a good reliable machine when properly cared for. However, I like the 4x4 features of the Yamaha Grizzly lineup better than Honda's utilities. The Ultramatic tranny works really good and has great compression braking. The Grizzly also has push button 4x4, push button front locker, and High/Low range, features the Honda lineup don't offer. It was hard for me to buy the Yamaha because I've been a firm believer in Honda, but the Kodiak (Grizzly) seems to be a very solid machine.

17. Feb 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I had a Grizzly and my buddy owns a Polaris 800 EFS. Both are great quads. What I would look for in a utility is independant front and rear suspension, fuel injected, and power steering. Nowadays I think most quads are comparable. It just comes down to price for me.

18. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I can only recommend the Honda Foreman 4X4 because it's the only ATV that I have ever owned. I have owned mine for 6 years and have not had any problems whatsoever. I tow a heavy cart up and down steep inclines loaded with firewood and it does fine. My friends also have Foremans and I can't think of any problems. Just do the basic maintenance and they will run forever.

19. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    IrishAmerican

IrishAmerican Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SR5 4x4
    Lift, XD wheels, Tinted, K&N, 285 Cooper STTs
    I highly recommend an Arctic Cat for the things you are looking to do with your ATV. I have one that I work, ride trails, hunt, mud, everything. Never had any problems with it. good ground clearance. 2 inch receiver for your trailer needs. Good rack system to mount hunting and working stuff. Also excellent power, 4x4 is excellent plus you get a very good locker that makes these things pull like you couldnt imagine. 4x4, low range, with the locker and you can pull a stuck truck out of a hole. I really enjoy mine and get alot of use out of it. Quality machine.

20. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    Fireguy68

Fireguy68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A Brown Guy
    Spring Hill, TN
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver TRD DC Sport 4X4
    Honda all the way. I have a 420 Rancher 4x4 and have run it hard at times without a glitch. I've done several group trail rides and 90%of the ATV's have been Honda's. Now if you ask my sister in Montana she'll tell you Grizzly, which would be my second choice.

To Top