1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Honda 400ex question

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by SRTchris, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    SRTchris

SRTchris [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Access 6speed
    Stock
    I just bought a used 05 400ex. The guy bought it new, road it a couple times, putted around in the city on it, but never road anymore. But basically looks brand spanking new. But, in all this time, it has been sitting.

Has roughly 20 hrs on it. Only maintenance he has done was oil change and the valve job.

We picked it up, was low on gas, but ran completely fine in the drive way and up on the trailer.

Brought it home, has an idle problem. Put fresh 93octane gas in it. But just wont stay started until really warm, then its fine.

Took it to a friends place to ride this weekend. Would do fine.

But problem lays when under load, any gear. It almost sounds like its hitting a Fuel Cut. I would let out of the gas, get back into it, and sometimes it would do fine. Others it will still do it. Almost as if its dyeing out. Idle was, would rev fine no matter what, but sometimes would also die out even when riding/idling down hill.

I've replaced the spark plug, and air filter was a little wet, so dried that out, still has oil on filter.

Any suggestions? Clean carb? CDI box ?

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Have you checked the fuel filter? You said it was sitting while it was low on gas so there may be some rust in the gas tank. Try draining the carb bowl also and see what comes out, make sure it's clean gas and not rusty looking or crudded up.

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    clean carb....pull the pilot jet and inspect it....use a torch tip cleaner on it

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Me and a buddy both bought brand 02's and they BOTH were a pita when cold. Ran great once warmed up but when they were cold had a hard time keeping them running. We did learn a trick and I have absolutely no idea why this changed anything, but when cold, I would turn the fuel lever on the gas tank to reserve, even with a full tank and it helped at cold starts. :notsure: I would flip it back to the on position after it was warm. As far as the fuel cut, IDK, but mine did seem to lag if gun it from idle. I miss my quad. :(

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    SRTchris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I was told on these the filter is built in the tank, and that it shouldnt need to be cleaned.

Thats what Im going to do this week. Pull the carb and use some Carb Cleaner on it and see what I get out of it.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    the jet is easy to get to....you are gonna need a 6mm socket driver to get it out.....be careful when revoming the carb and clean all around it best you can before removal
    keep us updated man:cool:

7. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    SRTchris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Just got back from the car wash, cleaning it all up for removal maybe tomorrow or tuesday maybe.

But Ill defiantly post up what it is. I hate reading threads where someone doesnt post up what the fix ended up being. :cool:

8. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    definitely check all your jets. sounds like your pilot might be a little bit clogged up. If thats not it, it sounds like it just needs to be re-jetted.

Start with your main and lean it or richen it depending on what the plug looks like (black=rich, white=lean).

After that, tune your needle by raising or lowering it. This will help with bottom and mid powerband.

Then adjust your air(or fuel) screw. This will help mostly with bottom end and slightly on top.

It's kind of a pain in the ass, but once you get it dialed, it's totally worth it.

Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

9. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    johnnym

johnnym Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    NH
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner Chevy 1500
    Sas 4.7tranfer case gears 5.29s Locked front/rear
    id go through the carb
    as stated above
    i use seafoam you can get it at your local parts store works great ..

10. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
  11. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    I'm not sure that your quad has a fuel filter at all. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy and install an inline fuel filter. It should have a fuel strainer in the tank but I don't think it has a fuel filter per say. Not 100% positive on that though.

12. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:52 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    i bet the float bowl is stuck... i had the same problem and its back now the carb is leaking out of the vent tubes and into the air box and that carb is a pain in the ass to take off

13. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    SRTchris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Just got the carb off. Took the bowl off. Thing is COMPLETELY clean. Not even a piece of dirt in there...

So now Im lost.

If i'm not mistaken(don't do carbs too much) But once the bull came out, the copper piece at the bottom that the needle slides up and down, is the jet, Correct. It has a "148" stamped on it.

But after I got it off my truck a couple hours ago, ran it up and down the street. And it didnt do it at all though. But I was out for no more then 1 minute, then pulled it into the garage as I had to get to my pool league.

14. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    There's more than one jet in a carb. The one that you're talking about with the 148 is the MAIN jet. There is also a pilot jet. It's going to be towards the side of the main in a "tube" that goes up vertically towards the top of the carb. You'll need a fairly small flat-blade type screwdriver to get up in there, and then GENTLY turn the jet out. This is the pilot jet. Make sure that it is absolutely clean. Even take a wire brush and poke a single wire around inside. Use carb cleaner. Reassemble and try it.

As far as a filter, yours does not have a built in filter. The "filter" in your tank is more of a strainer, keeps big pieces out but none of the small stuff. Buy a 2.00 in line filter and put it on. Saves a lot of work, trust me :) Also, check inside your tank with a light and see if you see any rust. If you do, that would be a good sign that you need to get it creamed and go completely through your carb. That stuff get's everywhere and clogs everything right up.

If this doesn't do the trick, you might want to check your valve clearances. Look up the specs for it (I'm too lazy right now :anonymous:) and do a cold check at top dead center. Those motors are fairly sensitive to out of spec valves and that might be your answer as well.

Good luck! :D

15. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    orvis

orvis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road

It looks clean because you ran it already, your pilot jet will still have stuff in it, pull it out, use a copper wire to clean it. or you could just fill up the tank, add some seafoam and ride it til it's amlost empty.

16. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    SRTchris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Well I live in the city, so cant get the quad out for too long. But made a 2 min trip up and down my street, seems to be running fine for now. Ill try to get it out again the next week or two on some trails and ride again.

Thanks for all your help guys !! Much appreciative.

17. Mar 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    SRTchris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Any one think the CDI box could be the issue ?

18. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    i still need to mess with the one i have i think im goint ask my buddy if he just wants to sell it its just wasting away and runs SICK ( in a good way)

19. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    clean out the carb, not sure if it was already said but if it was sitting the gas probably got gummed up in the carb

20. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    its not the cdi box, take the carb off take the bowl off clean it with carb spray, take out all the jets clean everything possible in the carb with carb cleaner, also if its all stock make sure it still has the stock jetting and needle position

To Top