Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

KTM motorcycle help

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Talking KTM motorcycle help

I just had a great offer fall into my lap yesterday. I have a friend that has too many bikes. He's got 12. Anyway he just bought the new 2011 KTM 690 and asked me if I wanted to buy his KTM 950 Super Enduro R. He told me he'd sell it to me for a great price. It is an 08 model and only has 400 miles on it. That's right, 400 miles. Does anybody know if they are reliable bikes or have any known issues. From reviews I've read they sound bullet proof. Help me out here guys. I figured some of you west coast guys would know. Here is a pic of the exact bike.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Tacoma 4 Life.
chaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
chaz834's Tacoma Gallery
KTM is pretty well known to last forever..
Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
It sure sounds like a great deal for the money from what I have seen.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Tacoma 4 Life.
chaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
chaz834's Tacoma Gallery
If he is selling it for a good price I would say go for it.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
It aint no honda....but ive heard the 690 is a reliable machine
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
TacoTacoTaco
Cossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cossi's Tacoma Gallery
I owned a 625SXC. Fantastic bikes, that outperform everything else in their class. HOWEVER, when it comes to bikes you have choices to make. You can have super performance, and higher maintenance, or, maintenance free (mostly) and decent performance. The KTMs fall under the higher maintenance category. I am not sure about that particular model, but, my bike I had to do 500mile oil changes, and 1K mile valve adjustments. But, performance was absolutely mind boggling!

I say give it a shot, and see what you think! I guarantee you won't be disappointed in the performance.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Its a KTM. For a steal. Buy ittttttttt!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz834 View Post
KTM is pretty well known to last forever..
not the old ones, but definitely the case with the newer ones.

Those 950's are cool bikes, I say go for it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
It aint no honda....but ive heard the 690 is a reliable machine
Man shut the f up! You and your two wheel civics.

Sounds like a good deal, not amazing or anything, but good.
The 950 is a bad@ss machine.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #10

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm going to get it today. Going for a test ride this afternoon. The nice thing is that it is street legal, so hopefully it will cut down on fuel costs. Everyone online that I've spoken to has said the performance and handling is like no other bike out there. As far as the price goes, apparently that is a once in a lifetime deal for this bike with only 400 miles on it. I'll keep yall posted. Check out these pictures of it. It looks so BADASS. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...AsuatwehrtyQDw
Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Too lazy to look myself but does the 08 still have carbs?
My buddy has a 07 (I think) 950 SM with carbs and waiting for it to warm up is my only complaint about it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #12

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I believe it is still carburated.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
I feel so Devo

What little you will save in gas will be offset by insurance and maintaince. It's not a commuter bike that's for sure.

Not to discourage you, I still want you to get it and post up all about it... just saying
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Full coverage insurance with $500 deductibles is $204 per YEAR. Pretty good rate if ya ask me. Not sure about maintence though.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Full coverage insurance with $500 deductibles is $204 per YEAR. Pretty good rate if ya ask me. Not sure about maintence though.
No, not horrible, but that's 204 bucks a year you wouldn't have to pay other wise. But nevermind... moving on.

Best I have done on my KTM as far as mileage I think is 30... which sounds ok but isn't the greatest for a bike. Of course half the problem is me and my bad riding habits
I know a guy who had an Adventure and regularly got 38-40

I've never had to do anything other than normal maintaince but if you go by the book the cost of fluids is crazy. (10w50 oil, swedish coolant and all that crap!)
And I don't know if it will hold true on a Endruo R but I only get about 4000 out of a rear dual compound touring tire.

not saying you will get the same results. You might get 50 mpg and 10K miles out of tire... just letting you know what I get.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #16

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info Tinker. I'll let you know later this weekend when I get it.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
I feel so Devo

sweeeet
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
go for it $7000 for a bike like that is a steal!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #19

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantac09 View Post
go for it $7000 for a bike like that is a steal!
I thought so too. The more people I tell the more sold I am. Can't wait.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
I feel so Devo

couple good websites for more info....

http://www.ktm950.info/

http://www.advrider.com/