Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Short dude wants a dirt bike

Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Short dude wants a dirt bike

I've been into ATVs pretty heavy for most of my life. I work as a mechanic for a friend that races ATVs so I have lots and lots of seat time on some very powerful quads (ltr450 "440"ex quadzilla banshee etc etc)

I am now looking into purchasing a dirt bike, I love to go fast however, I only stand at a towering 5 foot 3 1/2 inches tall . . .
So what I am asking is what is a pretty decently quick dirt bike (preferably a 4 stroke) that isn't so damn tall?!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Well, i would say try to find a bike that you like with the lowest stock seat height, then theres a couple of things you can do. You can take the seat in and have a couple inches of padding shaved off and reupholstered(the seats are generally pretty thick). Also, for some bikes they make little linkages that you can replace on the rear shock (i cant remember what they're called) but it will lower the seat height without sacrificing much rear wheel travel.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea, i've been looking around and the stock seat height for most bikes like a 250 or 450 is something slightly under 40 inches. I'd like to get that number down closer to 30-34.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Get anything you like then have the suspension sent off to anybody that does suspension (pro circuit, factory connections, racetech) and they can adjust for you height and weight no problemo. I have gotten it done for every bike i have owned and it is hands down one of the best mods you can do to help your riding abilities.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Creeper

yea, i ride a klx650 pretty often and a honda cr250f. My experience with some beastly atvs helps me on dirt bikes but it's the whole, "i can't reach the ground"-"thing" I really like the klx250s and would like to have one licensed for the road (outrageous gas this summer) and stoplights could be a disaster. I also plan on a lot of trail riding/off roading. I just want to be able to stop and put my foot down with confidence. the seat height on a klx250s is 35" i'm thinking shaving the seat down could help. . . hmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
boybands are lame will become famous soon enoughboybands are lame will become famous soon enough
boybands are lame's Tacoma Gallery
also you can shave the seat down at least another inch or so a family friend had a Crf 250 for his wife who is 5'2 and after some suspension work and shaving the seat she can touch flat footed on both sides. Thats not to say the suspension work was cheap tho
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Creeper

yea i'm thinking the suspension work is out of the question unless i can do it myself or get it done really cheap. . .i mean, i'm looking at dirt bikes on craigslist for $950 . . and that was an expensive one hahaha.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglingFury View Post
yea i'm thinking the suspension work is out of the question unless i can do it myself or get it done really cheap. . .i mean, i'm looking at dirt bikes on craigslist for $950 . . and that was an expensive one hahaha.
Oh yea, well you might want to try the seat shaving first Suspension work can start to add up pretty quick i paid almost 1500 for all mine on the crf250, if you ever get the money saved for it though.... it makes the ride alot better
Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Links.aspx

cheap and effective
and you can do it urself
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Creeper

this problem has been nipped in the "bud"
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
socaltaco
LilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manny
Location: San Diego, CALIFORNIA. (Rancho del Rey/ otay ranch)
LilManny's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Keith what did you end up doing?? I'm 5'3 and just bought a CRF 250 and I can ride it but to start and stop is a big pain in the A!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
hey i just kinda spikped ofer all the posts. but look at a CRF150R big wheel. it’s pretty fast and you could eatch the ground. i have one and love it. i can get the front wheel up in 2nd gear with no clutch. can do it in 3rd too. i got mine when i was 5’ 3” or 5’ 4”
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/U8opyfdTeq8
Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilManny View Post
Hey Keith what did you end up doing?? I'm 5'3 and just bought a CRF 250 and I can ride it but to start and stop is a big pain in the A!!
I ended buying a Suzuki Z400

Got it for $800 though!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post