1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Choosing an ATV

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by Pster, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I am considering an ATV for my mountain house. I really don't want a racing ATV. I am looking for something like a Honda Big Red or John Deers equivalent, or other brand - I see a lot like Can Am, Bombardier, etc. I want it for chores (rock and debris carry) as well as going off road around the mountain.......any recommendations on a solid vehicle in this category based on ownership experience? Thanks!

2. May 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Polaris makes a nice UTV and I've heard great things about them. Yamaha also makes one although I don't know much about them. Kubota offers one that's more geared towards working vs. off-roading.

Also, if you like the seating position of an ATV, Polaris makes the Big Boss 6x6. It's got the seating position of an ATV and a dump box on the back. You can put tracks on the back 2 sets of wheels and it'll go damn near anywhere you need to go.

Good luck with your search, this is about all I have to offer in this category but am curious to people's real world experiences!

3. May 10, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Thanks Pugga!

4. May 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    SuperTacoma

SuperTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Silver
    I am a big fan of Yamaha. You are looking for a Utility style.
    How much do you need to haul etc will determine the size you need. I think 400 and up is a good size.I have had a Kodiak and Grizzly loved them both.

5. May 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I've got two Yamahas, both 2006, one Kodiak 450 and one Grizzly 660. For what you're describing the bigger Grizzly 660 (think they make a 700 now) is a better workhorse for pulling a trailer, it also sits a little higher and is slightly wider. I also like the fact that my wife and I can double on it and we're both still on the seat.

FWIW I have friends with Polaris machines who really like them; the 6x6 with bed is a great workhorse, but the limitations are it's size as far as getting around the mountain. If your talking mainly trail stuff, I'd consider the 6x6 for all around multipurpose use.

my 2 cents!

6. May 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks! I think I really need one with a small bed in the back. I am constantly moving rocks, cutting up tree limbs after storms, hauling mulch, etc.

7. May 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    My brother has a Honda Rancher (i think..) 350 4x4 and my father just sold his Honda Foreman 425(i think) 4x4. Both were nice- the drawback to the Foreman was that the engine was carburated, whereas the cheaper, less powerful Rancher was fuel injected. Both are great atvs though- and we put em through a lot out in the everglades, never had/have problems with em.

Edit: missed the post about needing a bed in the back- what you want is a Utv, not an atv

8. May 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Yeah...I'm thinking you'd be happy with the Polaris 6x6. You could go side by side, but the price starts getting pretty steep on those. Good luck finding the right rig for a decent price. :)

9. May 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I had a yamaha kodiak 450 that i loved and sold with my house in the country. That thing was a work horse and very affordable. I think they call it the grizzly now. I pushed a lot of snow with that thing!
    Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

edit: oops I missed the part of wanting a bed too.....
    yay my friend is a polaris/yammi dealer & says the market is hot on the side by sides & we use a ton of them at work (polaris)

10. May 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    skybob

skybob Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think a Polaris Sportsman would be the way to go. I've also had good luck with the yamaha grizzlys.

11. May 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    orvis

orvis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road
    It's good to see that people read thru the posts before they post themselves.

You are looking for a UTV. The big red does not get the credit it deserves, it is more work horse that recreational but is still very capable off road and in the mud ect. If you are looking for more of a recreational machine the polaris rzr and the can-am are your best bet. I would also have a look at the Yamaha rhino, it is a little smaller and lighter than the Big Red.

12. May 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    for 2011 these are the tops in each category:

851-1000cc: Can-am Renegade 1000

701-850: Tie between the King Quad 750 and the Yamaha Brute Force 750