Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Looking to buy a new race type quad

Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Looking to buy a new race type quad

I live in arizona and i'll be a weekend warrior type so the atv will be used and

abused and i'm looking for one that can handle my brutal punishment.

I've been considering the obvious; TRX450, YFZ450, Raptor700, KTM525, KFX450, etc etc..

just looking for the right one that's gonna last a while, and have some insane power i'd like some input on which one would be better for the dezzzerrt type of terrain, ie: whoops/ dunes/ washtype area's
Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have an 08 Raptor 700 SE. Great bike with lots of power. It is faster in the a straight line than the YFZ450 but the 450 will kill it in the twisties. My friend had a TRX450 and he never had problems with it. KTM = Kost Too Much. I have heard really good things about the Can Am DS 450 X XC. That was my choice at first but I didn't have experience with Can Am at the time so I went with Yamaha. My friend has 2 Polaris Predator 500s. They have been great bikes for him. I haven't heard anything bad about the KFX450. Check out Dirtrax TV, Destination Polaris and Fisher's ATV World on Outdoor channel for testing.

My bike:

Oh yeah. Don't crash:

Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have an 08 Raptor 700 SE. Great bike with lots of power. It is faster in the a straight line than the YFZ450 but the 450 will kill it in the twisties. My friend had a TRX450 and he never had problems with it. KTM = Kost Too Much. I have heard really good things about the Can Am DS 450 X XC. That was my choice at first but I didn't have experience with Can Am at the time so I went with Yamaha. My friend has 2 Polaris Predator 500s. They have been great bikes for him. I haven't heard anything bad about the KFX450. Check out Dirtrax TV, Destination Polaris and Fisher's ATV World on Outdoor channel for testing.

My bike:

Oh yeah. Don't crash:

great post, this cover's pretty much all i really needed to know
(really making me interested in that raptor 700 now )

+1 rep for you sir
Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
dude if ya want 450 that has just as much power as a raptor deff go with an ltr 450 i have an 07 ltr and dude there pretty badass. they are the quickest 450 made and they are the widest stock bike made. so desert riding the ltr 450 would deff be a great choice. i ride woods riding and its amazing how much power those things have. deff look in to them though
Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NP. If you are interested in the 700 remember that it is fuel injection. There is no O2 sensor so the stock computer can't handle mods. I have an aftermarket spark arrestor but I am just at the limit. Any more mods and I will run it too lean. There are fuel computers out there though. Tech Quad Shop offers the big 3 mod for a slight discount. Also 700s don't like single exhaust all that much. The only one that actually brings out some power is the Ron Woods single. The best are Barker duals.

The LT 450 that was mentioned above is also a great bike but I doubt the power is the same as the 700. Pretty much all 450s have more high end power while the 700 has low to mid range power.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
ɔoɯq

BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i'll definitely do some more research on each bike before i make the final decision, but that raptor just looks nasty..
Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well i will tell ya the ltr 450 has more low end power then a raptor 700 i know this becuase my bro in law has a 700 and out of the hole i dog him but once he hit about 3rd gear he catches me so the ltr has more bottom end then a raptor and also the raptor is going to be fast in a straight line or for a distance but the ltr will dog a 700 on the track or in any type of turns
Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Banned
Well a lot of factors come into play especially weight. A Raptor is a pig when compared to a 450.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
The ktm 525 is fast as hell
Old 05-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
The new YFZ 450R or the KTM if you have the coin. Neither the LTR or TRX impressed me much.

Here's my 06. The motor is built by Trinity Racing in Rancho Cucamonga.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a new race type quad-imag0160.jpg   Looking to buy a new race type quad-imag0224.jpg   Looking to buy a new race type quad-imag0225.jpg   Looking to buy a new race type quad-imag0228.jpg   Looking to buy a new race type quad-imag0227.jpg  

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with a 450. Sit on them all and see what feels the most comfortable. I have ridden most of the 450 and prefer the Yamaha. I like mx and wider is better so the YFZ450R would be my choice.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
find an old 500 two smoke quadracer suzuki.....
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
ejericson is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aircraft inspector
Name: Elliott
ejericson's Tacoma Gallery
If u want A great bike and save some coin Find a gently used 08' YFZ. they changed to fuel injection as well as many other things in 09' and added about 60 lbs. Ive riden lots of 450 and 700 and nothing has impressed me more than the YFZ carb motor. Has MORE power that you know what to do with with minor intake and exhaust mods. It has been sport bike of the year more than any others. Im not a fan of ATVs with fuel injection, a good TKS carb will be much easier and cheaper to both repair and mod. KTM also a rock solid bike but again $$$...

hope that helps
Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
I found my KTM 450 XC on ebay in 2009 it was a left over from 2008 in the showroom it came with there ready to race package. I got it for $5,500 and that included shipping it from Texas. So a KTM can be had for a resonable price and maintenance isnt that expensive I havent done anything to it but oil changes and keeping the air filter clean.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Consider looking at the new Yamaha yfz450r its a beast, i wouldn't buy the ltr450 they are fast as fuck but they arent producing them anymore if im not wrong.the kawasaki kfx450 its a great bike reliable lacks low end torque but compensates it with high end torque, not as fast as the others. If i were you i wouldn't buy a bike that runs on a carburetor all of the manufacturers are moving to fuel injected systems. The raptor its fast and reliable but if you want to do motocross it would not perform as the 450s. By the way Ive tried the yfz450,raptor,ltr450(friend of mine had it and it gave him transmission problems full bolt ons)fastest 450 iv tried, kfx450 fast reliable bike easy to work on(full bolts ons fox evol suspension,hot cams,yoshimura exhaust and fuel injector adjuster many other mods) the bad thing of the kfx its that you don't get low end torque compared to the ltr450 or raptor .the raptor has to be the fastest atv ive driven you can pull third gear wheelies like nothing
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
Dane-Taco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justus
Dane-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Can-Am DS450X

Fast as hell, lower ground clearance, but metal skid plates. Like KTM, Can-Ams come with a good number of "aftermarket items" stock. (i.e. nerf bars, ATP tires, metal skid plates...)

These are pictures from Glamis in So. Cal. Recommend this trip!!!

...If you can afford a KTM 525, go with that!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to buy a new race type quad-dscf9350.jpg   Looking to buy a new race type quad-dscf9346.jpg   Looking to buy a new race type quad-dscf9410.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Dane-Taco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justus
Dane-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
nice pic's dane love the glamis photo's. I have trx 450 and suzuki ltr 450. I like them both.
That was a bad ass trip, hot though! I also have the TRX and love it. Is the Honda faster than the LTR?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane-Taco View Post
That was a bad ass trip, hot though! I also have the TRX and love it. Is the Honda faster than the LTR?
no honda trx isint faster than the ltr im not trying to start and argument here but i honestly think the ltr is the fastest 450 besides the ktm. everyone says the yfz is the fastest but im 240 pounds and there is about 4 of my friends that have them that weight about 170 and i can beat em so idk whats the deal with the yfz