Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

What the heck do I want?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
What the heck do I want?

I'm 5'11, 235lbs, 30 years old. Now that the truck is paid off and the mods are more or less done, I'm ready for the next toy

I've always been interested in motorcycles and ATVs since I was a kid, but never had anyone around who owned one, nor had the chance to get one.

I rented a Honda Foreman 4x4 ATV last year when I was in Marysvale Utah. I had a blast, but the roads were pretty flat and I was hoping for something more technical.
Other than that, I've never been on a bike with the motor on.

I'm trying to get a better idea of what I want - either ATV or a bike - and don't know how to go about figuring that out. I plan on signing up for the motorcycle training class this summer, but you can't exactly rent a dirtbike as far as I know. How do I decide what I'm going to want?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's some places I take the truck... I would want the bike/atv to go the same places and more

TSF, maybe with snow
Random forest roads

This, however, looks retarded
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
look into a crf250, they are great bikes! you will fit on it really well, maybe a little bigger, but would be good so you can handle it more. a bigger bike would be the crf450r

a good starter quad thats more of a sport quad is the 400ex. they arent very fast but they are tanks and the engine will last for ever. a bigger quad i would recommend would be a yfz450

you can always look into sidexsides. like a rhino or a razor!

for a dirtbike i recomment 08 and older because they arent fuel injected. the fuel injected are really only good when your pinned.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i also dont know much about 4x4s, and if you want to go in snow i recommend that or a side by side (rhino, razor, etc)
Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
i would go with a quad since youve never riden a motorcycle. You might kill yourself haha. Heres a list of both that will point you in the right direction for your skill and size.

Quads:
honda trx450r
yamaha yfz450
yamaha raptor 700
kawasaki 700

Bikes:
honda crf450X
yamaha wr450f
Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC View Post
i would go with a quad since youve never riden a motorcycle. You might kill yourself haha. Heres a list of both that will point you in the right direction for your skill and size.

Quads:
honda trx450r (great quad)
yamaha yfz450 (great quad)
yamaha raptor 700 (personally i think they are too ehavy and the 450s are faster and handle better)
kawasaki 700 (personally i think they are too ehavy and the 450s are faster and handle better)

Bikes:
honda crf450X (great bike because it has longer gears for trail riding, has a headlight, and tail light)
yamaha wr450f (dont know much about this bike..)

in bold are my opinions above also a crf250x!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
a non fuel injected mx bike.....
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
a non fuel injected mx bike.....

edited above post to reflect this just now!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
Well on your comment about the 700 they are only 22 lbs heavier than the 450 and will beat the 450 in a straight line. But in the twisties the 450 wins.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/compare.aspx
Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Nuggety

oh, forgot to say that I think it would be cool to use as a summertime commuter vehicle and it would be nice to be able to get to the trails with just the bike, but I'm not sure if I've got unreasonable aspirations.

Eh, the sidexside is bigger than I want. Oregon is also trying to pass a law that makes them a class IV vehicle so you can't take them on quad trails.

Whatever I'm getting is going to be used. Need something to learn on without caring too badly.

From what I've read, a DRZ 400 is probably a good direction for the bike. Not sure what the used market is like. There's a honda/yamaha/suzuki shop next to my house and the guys there say there's nothing that really compares.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Well on your comment about the 700 they are only 22 lbs heavier than the 450 and will beat the 450 in a straight line. But in the twisties the 450 wins.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/compare.aspx

your right they are only 19 pounds heavier, out of the hole the 450 will take it, but if its longer straight away the 700 will take it
Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
you gotta remember though hes new. I dont think being faster then a race quad is a benefit. Those 700's are fast but also still an entry level quad especially for his weight it should be perfect. and a 250x will bog too much with 235 lb guy on it.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
you gotta remember though hes new. I dont think being faster then a race quad is a benefit. Those 700's are fast but also still an entry level quad especially for his weight it should be perfect. and a 250x will bog too much with 235 lb guy on it.

yeah this is true
Old 07-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #14

ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
oh, forgot to say that I think it would be cool to use as a summertime commuter vehicle and it would be nice to be able to get to the trails with just the bike, but I'm not sure if I've got unreasonable aspirations.

Eh, the sidexside is bigger than I want. Oregon is also trying to pass a law that makes them a class IV vehicle so you can't take them on quad trails.

Whatever I'm getting is going to be used. Need something to learn on without caring too badly.

From what I've read, a DRZ 400 is probably a good direction for the bike. Not sure what the used market is like. There's a honda/yamaha/suzuki shop next to my house and the guys there say there's nothing that really compares.
DRZ400 is a good bike. VERYY reliable!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Nuggety

Quote:
i would go with a quad since youve never riden a motorcycle. You might kill yourself haha.
so far this is the only answer anyone really gives me about the difference. I'm pretty conservative in terms of how I drive - I'm not looking to race. Yeah I know you can mess yourself up more... so why do people still get bikes?

I kinda overloaded the post, my main question is how to decide between quad or bike
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Nuggety

If anyone says, "get both", I'm going to start prepping the middle fingers, lol
Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
we have a ’11 yamaha rhino me love it. but it could use better tires. we will be getting some next year. we have a fold down windshield and a warn 3000 pound winch. i like it a bit more than the RZR’S because you have more of a bed to put stuff
Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
Nuggety

Oh, and I do appreciate the responses, guys. When the time comes I'm gonna have some good information
Old 07-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quads:
honda trx450r
yamaha yfz450
yamaha raptor 700
kawasaki 700

Bikes:
honda crf450X
yamaha wr450f
X2....most new riders need a year or two to get used to the motorbike. im not saying you wont, but maybe start off with a quad or buy a cheap moto, and see how you like it before buying new.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I personally chose a quad over a bike because I feel safer on 4 wheels. I hate going over whoops though. I look at the bikes and the rider can almost shave while going over them while I'm being jarred around. I have ridden both but I have spent more time on a quad. I'm kinda loosing interest in the sport anyway. None of my friends really go anymore.