Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Anyone running an ATV mower?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running an ATV mower?

I know, I know, I'm not the first guy who's tried to sell this to the wife but I am looking into this option. I have a 5 acre farm with approx. 1 ac in lawn, 2ac in pasture (grass/weeds) and 2ac hay. I have a farm tractor for the hay but need to replace my old Husqvarna lawn tractor for the rest. The pastures were a little much for the little 18hp Husky but it lasted me 5-6 years and I bought it used! Will it finish mow (lawns) as well as a riding tractor. What brands/models should I look for and what should I avoid? What should I look for in an ATV for this primary purpose? (with the occasional trail ride/hunting trip). Low geared? Reverse? Turning radius?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
That is bad ass. I never saw that set up before
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
That is bad ass. I never saw that set up before
Unfortunately "Bad Ass" is not an effective selling point to wifey!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
For my dad's and brother's land we use this

5 acres with this guy still takes me a few hours
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
have her mow the yard with a push mower then ask her if she wants one of those
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
have her mow the yard with a push mower then ask her if she wants one of those

this.

for the atv you want 4x4 and reverse for sure. the rest is up to you. Auto atv's will have reverse, N, H, and low.

manual will be R, N, 1,2,3,4, ect...

some have 2wd and 4wd select.

They also make pull behind options for the ATV. Ive used one before for mowing paths on our deer lease. It worked great cutting down 12" plus grass and weeds and small mesquite trees.

the thing you posted looks pretty difficult to put on and off if you are doing it frequently
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
the thing you posted looks pretty difficult to put on and off if you are doing it frequently[/QUOTE]

This is just a random pic from the interweb. I just thought this style would be easier to manouver in the yard than the pull type.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Holy cow that thing looks like too much fun. I would end up mowing over hedges
Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
They do not do as well in finish mowing. Field mowing works fine. The tires can tear up a good lawn fairly easily as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
They do not do as well in finish mowing. Field mowing works fine. The tires can tear up a good lawn fairly easily as well.
If you could find one with selectable lockers, that would be best to prevent the damage mentioned above. My 2003 Kawasaki Prairie has a selectable front locker; not sure if they make them with both front and rear selectable, though.

I do like the setup you pictured - that's pretty sweet.

My parents have 15 acres (90% pasture) and they use a Swisher pull behind mower to do about 5 acres up around the house. Works well for getting the big stuff cut - not for finishing, as you can imagine.

Here is a crappy pic thanks to Google...

It's nice because you set the offset to whatever angle you want and it's got a great motor on it.

Just my $.02.

Fink
Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwc7QFxJys

Looks pretty straight forward to me.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
$3000 for this mower! + Minimum $3000 for a used atv. No an easy sell.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
f that.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp68 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwc7QFxJys

Looks pretty straight forward to me.
That guy defiantly needs that helmet!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i know this is kinda a old post. but thought i would say this. because you will want to thank me later...

we also have 5 acres. maybe 1 is grass. rest is some woods a barn and a little pound. but we used a pull behind on our 04 rancher 350ES 4wd. and i say that after like 30 you REALLY NEED to stop for like maybe 10 or 15 min. we over heated our rancher by doing it all and not stoping. over time it cased damage to motor. had to have new piston and everything. over $800 in labor and parts.

edit: the reason it over heated is. we only went like 2nd gear or so. and their is not anuff air flow over/thru the oil cooler to keep it cool. (pulling a mower puts more strain on motor causing it to work more making more heat) maybe going faster will help. dad always went kinda slow. and to do all of what we did it took like 2 hours or so.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Thomas
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth the money!!!!

If you want a mower to use with your ATV.......get the Swisher 60" pull behind.......

Its alot easier to go back and forth from Mowing to ATV .......Its cheaper to buy, and maintain
Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
beans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Will
beans20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
i know this is kinda a old post. but thought i would say this. because you will want to thank me later...

we also have 5 acres. maybe 1 is grass. rest is some woods a barn and a little pound. but we used a pull behind on our 04 rancher 350ES 4wd. and i say that after like 30 you REALLY NEED to stop for like maybe 10 or 15 min. we over heated our rancher by doing it all and not stoping. over time it cased damage to motor. had to have new piston and everything. over $800 in labor and parts.

edit: the reason it over heated is. we only went like 2nd gear or so. and their is not anuff air flow over/thru the oil cooler to keep it cool. (pulling a mower puts more strain on motor causing it to work more making more heat) maybe going faster will help. dad always went kinda slow. and to do all of what we did it took like 2 hours or so.
Yes very well could over heat but now they do make water cooled ATV's that don't need that much air flow to keep cool. I'm not sure how the old ranchers are but I have an 09 rancher that is the same as cars/trucks takes 50/50 anti-freeze.