Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Yamaha starting Problems

Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha starting Problems

I have an 09 yamaha grizzly 550 efi that wont start. The battery is fully charged, kill switch is on all wire connections are tight. When I goto start it I can hear a rapid clicking noise coming from a relay. any ideas would be great.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTaco View Post
I have an 09 yamaha grizzly 550 efi that wont start. The battery is fully charged, kill switch is on all wire connections are tight. When I goto start it I can hear a rapid clicking noise coming from a relay. any ideas would be great.
That relay may be hung up.......or the selanoid could be.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
how would one fix that
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Banned
i tried by pass relay with the cables and the starter just clicked but would not start or turn over. and no the motors not locked up
Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Was there any chance that you might have got the starter wet by washing or riding? If so you might half to take the starter apart and clean it. My Raptor 700 had something similiar and I had let it set for a few weeks after I went mud riding and it wouldnt start. The starter was kinda of rusted up so relay was I guesss kicking out cause of starter being froze up. Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco084gb View Post
Was there any chance that you might have got the starter wet by washing or riding? If so you might half to take the starter apart and clean it. My Raptor 700 had something similiar and I had let it set for a few weeks after I went mud riding and it wouldnt start. The starter was kinda of rusted up so relay was I guesss kicking out cause of starter being froze up. Hope this helps
thanks for the input! ill try this out tomorrow after work
Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you gas and everything is on....it sounds stupid but i have done that before
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Check that your battery connections are tight also. had a bike that would click with the starter button depressed but would not start, turned out the connections were loose.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Noob :-/
mark73 is on a distinguished road
mark73's Tacoma Gallery
I know the sound you're talking about. My '01 Kodiak does the same thing when the battery gets low. I know you said that the battery is charged, but did you try and jump it? See if that helps.

Also, did you try and pull start it? I know it can be a bitch, but try it once or twice just to see if that jars does anything. I found that by pulling the pull start out some and the letting it recoil just a little, releases the compression and makes it a lot easier to start.

Good luck. Hope you get it going and get out there and ride!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma89 View Post
Make sure you gas and everything is on....it sounds stupid but i have done that before
There no gas switch cause it efi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark73 View Post
I know the sound you're talking about. My '01 Kodiak does the same thing when the battery gets low. I know you said that the battery is charged, but did you try and jump it? See if that helps.

Also, did you try and pull start it? I know it can be a bitch, but try it once or twice just to see if that jars does anything. I found that by pulling the pull start out some and the letting it recoil just a little, releases the compression and makes it a lot easier to start.

Good luck. Hope you get it going and get out there and ride!
Tried to jump it and nothing. Made the same clicking sound
Old 09-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
Check that your battery connections are tight also. had a bike that would click with the starter button depressed but would not start, turned out the connections were loose.
my yamaha does that too.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Banned
ok come to find out the starter was shot. bought a new starter and it worked for about 3 start ups then the relay started clicking again. all connections are tight the battery is fully charged. with the starter out of the motor wheni start it the starter turns slowly while the relay is clicking im stumped and my yamaha dealer wont help . they just want me to bring it in. any ideas?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Could be bad contacts on the relay. Do you have access to a volt meter?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Could be bad contacts on the relay. Do you have access to a volt meter?
yes i do! i have a friend whos a electrician
Old 09-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Really sounds like a loose ground, especially since you replaced the starter. Is there a low oil cut-off?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
Really sounds like a loose ground, especially since you replaced the starter. Is there a low oil cut-off?
the oil level is fine. i pulled the belt cover and the motor still turns over by hand. im just stumped. checked damn near everything i can think of and im still left scrachting my head
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe check the kill switch position and function, all fuses and try putting in gear and taking it out again. Good luck. Will be interested to see what it ends up being.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
check to see if kill switch is groundin out.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
mmm. i don’t what to tell you. but i will ask...... dose it have gas?? and is the gas turned on? lol i know thats a dumb ass question but i have sone that before.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
also call you’r locale dealer. they can most likely give you some info on what it will be over the phone.