Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

New rider....2012 KX250F?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Name: Corey
cab4you26's Tacoma Gallery
New rider....2012 KX250F?

Alright so I am trying to decide on a toy to get myself. I'm fairly new to riding and I have ridden my buddies xr200 a couple times. I'm probably going to be on trails quite often, and I've never ridden a track. However I think if I get the bike (kx250) I might get into track riding. I don't really want a trail bike because they are underpowered and I feel certain I'll get tired of it quickly. I'm 175 pounds and I feel like I can get used to a bigger bike and not get tired of it. I guess my question is.......is this a bad starter bike for me? All my friends who ride say go for it because you can still ride trails with the stiff suspension and make it trail worthy, but I feel skeptical. I just don't want to get something that I won't be able to ride because it's too big or too difficult.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
just making sure you are talking about the 4 stroke version...

if so then that is a great starter bike. It will completely destroy that xr both on the trails and on the track.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
i rawmped around on a ttr230 as my first bike then got a yz250f. its a great learning bike and good for tracks. has enough power when you need it. but once you get a lot better youll want something more. i would like a 450 now that ive been riding my 250 since 2007. now that im a little bigger (20 pounds bigger now im 170) i want something that has more power. i ride either at the dunes or outdoor tracks (big jumps/long straights/hills none of that supercross stuff) but i want something with more power, its just a waiting game till i geti it now.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
i rawmped around on a ttr230 as my first bike then got a yz250f. its a great learning bike and good for tracks. has enough power when you need it. but once you get a lot better youll want something more. i would like a 450 now that ive been riding my 250 since 2007. now that im a little bigger (20 pounds bigger now im 170) i want something that has more power. i ride either at the dunes or outdoor tracks (big jumps/long straights/hills none of that supercross stuff) but i want something with more power, its just a waiting game till i geti it now.
this is true, but DO NOT get a 450 as a starter bike. same goes for a 250 2 stroke since they have the same amount of power.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds fine to me, I ride a yz250 in desert races and motocross. I wouldnt buy a 250f used though. They seem to blow up alot, atleast the guys who ride em around my parts.
to your friends that say the suspension will be too stiff, Get some lighter springs or revalve them.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Wow that was quick haha. Yes I do not want a 450 or a 250 2 stroke. And yes to be clear I am talking about the 4 stroke with the dual injectors. I have read great reviews about them so far. I feel like I'll be able to learn and get used to it fairly quick. I'm mostly afraid of being able to stand up at a stop with it without it falling over, and riding it in the woods through the tight stuff. I'm about 5'9.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get a Kawi...

Yamaha's handle better IMO.

The new RM's are quite impressive as well.

And you can't beat a Honda Unicam as far as reliability and maintenance goes.

But yeh... A 250f could be a good place to start.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
braaap

Im going to give you some random advice here. I say avoid the 4 strokes all together (high maintenance costs and just not fun compared to a 2 stroke IMO).

I say look for a used 125 2 stroke, YZ preferably and learn on that. You will become a better rider and the bike its self is way more reliable/simple.

just my 2 cents
Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by infaMOUSE View Post
Don't get a Kawi...

Yamaha's handle better IMO.

The new RM's are quite impressive as well.

And you can't beat a Honda Unicam as far as reliability and maintenance goes.

But yeh... A 250f could be a good place to start.
they're all good, but If I had to single one out as being unreliable, it would be the honda.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ive seen alot of hondas fail. A yz125 is alot of fun and will help you become a better rider in the long run. You can pick up 05+ all day long for 1900-3000$
You could say I like 2 strokes
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoTacoma View Post
Ive seen alot of hondas fail. A yz125 is alot of fun and will help you become a better rider in the long run. You can pick up 05+ all day long for 1900-3000$
You could say I like 2 strokes
this guy knows what's up. love that 250
Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #12

I should have mentioned that the whole reason I want a new bike is to build credit. I'm 18 and I have a good job that will pay for this bike. My second choice would probably be a 2012 yz125 2 stroke. How do they compare as far as maintenance and rebuilding the bikes? Basically what I know is the 4 strokes cost more to rebuild, but you don't rebuild them as much. 2 strokes are cheaper to rebuild, but you rebuild them more often. Like I said, I will probably be using this more as a woods bike..
Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4you26 View Post
I should have mentioned that the whole reason I want a new bike is to build credit. I'm 18 and I have a good job that will pay for this bike. My second choice would probably be a 2012 yz125 2 stroke. How do they compare as far as maintenance and rebuilding the bikes? Basically what I know is the 4 strokes cost more to rebuild, but you don't rebuild them as much. 2 strokes are cheaper to rebuild, but you rebuild them more often. Like I said, I will probably be using this more as a woods bike..
i mean it takes like 200 max to rebuild the TOP END of a 2 stroke.. it happened to my yz125.. 119.99 from motosport for a top and a new cylinder (broke a ring and chipped the inside) all for under 300.. i mean i love my 125 but i love my 250 more cause it has the low end power....until the time comes when it doesnt start. no matter what the 125 will start with just the drop of a brick or with my hand. so let me make the jibber jabber clear... i like my 250 more when it starts after its warm.. when it doesnt start, i miss my 125. haha.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4you26 View Post
if you're going new, might as well spring for a KTM 150 XC

It really is an awesome bike, and don't let anyone tell you KTM's are unreliable because that ended in the early 2000's. I had a 2007 250SX for 2 years without a single hiccup racing harescrambles.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Petrol head

The new ktms are awesome bikes, The new 150 2 stroke is sweet. you cant go wrong with 2 strokes but see if you can ride one first before you drop 6 grand on a new one.
Heres my 250 build thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...250-build.html
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
The new ktms are awesome bikes, The new 150 2 stroke is sweet. you cant go wrong with 2 strokes but see if you can ride one first before you drop 6 grand on a new one.
Heres my 250 build thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...250-build.html
nice!

since we're posting pics...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
Petrol head

I would love a brand new bike, I cant afford it. I was trying to get a ktm but soo expensive
Anyways, you cant go wrong with a ktm or yamaha. The only 2 stroke I would stay away from is the early aluminum frame hondas
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
DESERT RACER
checker c9 is on a distinguished road
Name: Trevor
checker c9's Tacoma Gallery
i ride a 2009 ktm 200xc, love the bike, i race it in the desert and at the track, its all the fun of a 125 but a little more power and the top ends last a lot longer.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
braaap

Quote:
I would love a brand new bike, I cant afford it. I was trying to get a ktm but soo expensive
Anyways, you cant go wrong with a ktm or yamaha. The only 2 stroke I would stay away from is the early aluminum frame hondas
yup.

OP, the whole idea of building up credit by buying a brand new bike seems stupid to me. Just get a credit card and use it for small things like gas.

Then you can save a TON of money like I did and get a really nice, used bike. You will come out ahead in the end by buying used.

Just don't buy a used 4 stroke
Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ehhh. You just made me think about how much I want a CR500AF.