LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Pic request, Polaris sportsman in short bed & loading advice

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
Pic request, Polaris sportsman in short bed & loading advice

I know there are similar threads but I'm looking for a visual to see how a sportsman 550 would fit in my truck (short bed). I have a bed extender and I don't think I should have any problems (besides the tailgate buckling). I was planning on putting a piece of plywood with a 2x4 screwed to it at the end going across the tailgate.. My truck is an 05' and doesn't have any reinforcement on the tailgate..

I'm trying to figure out if its worth the hassle/risk or if I should splurge on a trailer...

Your thoughts?

Any pics of any size sportsman in a short bed would be appreciated..
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
haha my first thought was a measuring tape to. If your afraid about your tailgate check out the reinforcing threads, seems simple enough and using the 2x4 after its reinforced couldnt hurt anything.

Im surprised theres not a ATV thread, it would help with stuff like this.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have the reinforcement specs saved on my computer... just haven't made the time to do it.. i hate having to worry about the tailgate.. still love our tacoma's tho..

when i goto the dealership i'm going to take some measurements with a tape measure.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
jsexton is a jewel in the roughjsexton is a jewel in the roughjsexton is a jewel in the rough
jsexton's Tacoma Gallery
This might help ya... my guess is the grizzly 700 is close to the same size as your polaris

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/all...ml#post4042015
Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Adrenaline Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
This might help ya... my guess is the grizzly 700 is close to the same size as your polaris

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/all...ml#post4042015

thanks.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
North Georgia Member
TacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoXtreme's Tacoma Gallery

this is my '12 sportsman 400. built on the same frame and suspension as the 500. I have the leveling kit on my truck with no lift in the rear. thats why it looks like im squatting so bad. the sportsman weighs 700 lbs. but i would suggetst a trailer. thats all i use. just tried it for fun
Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Southern by the Grace of God
rolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant future

Name: A.J.
rolltide3705's Tacoma Gallery
I went about 50 or 60 with one that size in my bed no problem, just make sure its strapped down good and the brake is on. Just be VERY careful about loading it. The wall of the bed is not tall enough to stop the fourwheeler before it hits the glass. and it will break the glass.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
North Georgia Member
TacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoXtreme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
adam would you feel comfortable going down the highway with that?
I have before but i dont like it. affects the steering too much.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
North Georgia Member

well id tow it a long way with a trailer.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
North Georgia Member

this is a 15ft or longer trailer for a skid steer. i towed it 20+ miles with no trouble. And for goodness sake, not the silverado sir lol read the signature!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
North Georgia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
idk it was a double axle trailer ) and now my leaves are completely shot
Sounds like its time for some OME's!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
North Georgia Member

Heck yeah man! Im going for the Billies/Eibach combo and OME Dakar Springs
Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Adrenaline Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoXtreme View Post

this is my '12 sportsman 400. built on the same frame and suspension as the 500. I have the leveling kit on my truck with no lift in the rear. thats why it looks like im squatting so bad. the sportsman weighs 700 lbs. but i would suggetst a trailer. thats all i use. just tried it for fun
this is EXACTLY what i was looking for.. thank you!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
North Georgia Member

no problem. its a tight fit as you can tell
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
1989supraturbo is on a distinguished road

Air Force: MSE Op CFB Comox
1989supraturbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoXtreme View Post
no problem. its a tight fit as you can tell
That's what she said.

looks like it's pretty possible, i guess the weight of the cab plus engine helps with balancing the load? For just one quad, i see no issues as long as it's strapped in properly.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
Adrenaline Addict

i ended up getting a two place trailer to fit the two sportsmans.. thanks for the help