Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

1975 élan Bombardier 248cc problems.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
1975 élan Bombardier 248cc problems.

I have a couple of old élan snowmobiles. The one 248cc twin cylinder runs awesome when cold. So for about 15 minutes it is a blast to ride around. But after the heat sinks into the whole engine and everything is good and warm it will eventually stall out and will not start no matter what I do. So because it runs good and idles good for quite awhile I am thinking it is not the carburator. Some people have said it is something to do with the ignition system. So what do you think it is? I have put in new plug wires, spark plugs, and swapped coils from a parts engine. I have never dealt with the points or condensers, but could these be my issue? Or could it be my stator gimmick?

Hope I don't get the boot for my snowmobile question, it is an all terrain vehicle after all, with it's boogie suspension!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not the news you want to hear. But bogging out and not running after it gets hot is a pretty common symptom of worn out piston and rings. I've had a couple old sleds do the same thing.
If you've already swapped coils out, it's probably the next thing to look at.
Drive it until it gets hot and quits, then do compression test while it's still hot. That should give you an idea. If compression is still OK, check crank seals.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Not a big deal putting pistons and rings in it I don't think. Compression did seem fine when cold. 110-120 if memory serves me right. Pistons and rings will probably cost as much as I paid for the whole ski-doo! $250 Bucks. Hehe