Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Polaris Bogs down under WOT

Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WhiskeyDeltaTango's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Polaris Bogs down under WOT

I need some wisdom from the ATV guys..

I took my girlfriends Polaris Express 300 ATV (2wd, Auto, 2-stroke) out in the woods for work. I soon found out that the 4 wheeler would not accelerate under WOT or even 3/4 Throttle. It would just "bog down" until throttle was gradually applied. (by bog down, I mean, the ATV would sounded like I was trying to start off in fourth gear or something)

Anybody know whats going on? or how to fix it?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check the intake to make sure its not broken, or not connected propperly.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
Carb?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
idk kinda sounds like a carb problem to me. or something with the throttle.

also i say talk to a dealer. don’t have to take it to them. but talk to the mechanic and see what he says.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ill have some time to wrench on it tomorrow, Ill call the polaris dealership to see what they say.

Do you guys think it would hurt to still ride it? just not wide open

edit: her dad said "i think it's always done that" ... not a reliable source of tech support
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Clean the carb... That is the problem 9/10 times. The other one time may be the jetting, but it's unlikely.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Check the intake to make sure its not broken, or not connected propperly.
And this too
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Clean the carb... That is the problem 9/10 times. The other one time may be the jetting, but it's unlikely.
Quote:
And this too
YOU have a more accurate fix, the only reason I suggested teh air intake is 'cause it happened to me, and that was the issue
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Resident Redneck

Quote:
I was the first person to ride this thing in forever. Her dad didnt even remember the last time it was cranked. What should I expect in the carb? and how long to clean it?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Resident Redneck

Quote:
YOU have a more accurate fix, the only reason I suggested teh air intake is 'cause it happened to me, and that was the issue
I'm definitely starting with the intake first, look for cracks, holes, good connection?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
I'm definitely starting with the intake first, look for cracks, holes, good connection?
yup
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Mine's just more technical. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the right one though. Generally, if the intake is jacked the atv will generally kinda cut in and out instead of a bog the more you depress the throttle.

Quote:
I was the first person to ride this thing in forever. Her dad didnt even remember the last time it was cranked. What should I expect in the carb? and how long to clean it?
Here's a quick write up I just googled as I am feeling too lazy to type it out lol.

You will be looking for goop in the float bowl, which in this case is hopefully dirty. It likely will be as the atv has been sitting for quite a while. As far as time is concerned, I would plan to be busy for a solid hour to 2 hours depending on how in depth you want to get with the cleaning. These guys laid it out pretty well though in their description.

http://www.discountatvandparts.com/c...tv-carburetors
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it's not gettin gas to me. What those guys said ^^^
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Resident Redneck

nice, that will help a lot. I'll take some pics of what I find. Can't imagine it will be pretty
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Vivid Illumination

Just out of curiosity... You said that the bike hasn't been turned over for a long time. How much gas is/was in there and what does it look like? Eyeball it and see if it is dark in color due to oxidization. It may even have a sour smell to it.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on Memario's advice.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Just out of curiosity... You said that the bike hasn't been turned on for a long time. How much gas is/was in there and what does it look like? Eyeball it and see if it is dark in color due to oxidization. It may even have a sour smell to it.
Oh i didnt get to see, I called her dad to tell him I was picking it up so he took it upon himself to fill it up with oil and gas. ain't no tellin' what was in it..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Oh i didnt get to see, I called her dad to tell him I was picking it up so he took it upon himself to fill it up with oil and gas. ain't no tellin' what was in it..
Okay, a few things to look for when you go back there.

Shit, nevermind. Do these first things first and then report back to us haha. One quick thing though, can you remember when you started it up for the first time... Did you need the choke?