Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Should i buy this Dirt bike?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
newmexico is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
newmexico's Tacoma Gallery
Should i buy this Dirt bike?

‎2000 Yamaha yz125 2-stroke $500 OBO. needs new gas tank clutch lever break lever and kick start lever... owned by a female. Claims bike runs good...

What do you think forum?
She will take 400 for it...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
lul
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

lul?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
YES!

assuming it has a clean title, buy it now.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Bump start it when you look at it since it doesn't have a kick starter. Just to make sure it runs.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Id check it out VERY close. If suspension is shot and motor has any issues at all it may need $1500 to make it good and then youre stuck with a 13 year old $2000 bike when you could have bought a solid used late model for same money.
Besides 125s suck. 250 two-strokes are a blast.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe? Those are simple things to fix. Question would be, What else might be wrong with all the falls to break all that stuff? How do the cases look? Can you start it neutral even with the kick start lever in whatever shape it is in to see how it runs? What shape do the forks and shock seem to be in? Just check it over real good and maybe borrow a kick start lever to see if and how it runs first or push start it if one brake works and you can be ready to shift it into neutral without clutch.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
"Claims bike runs good"...ride it, then decide
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
That might be a challenge with no clutch lever and 1 brake..........suit up for the test ride, lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
lionhunter93 is on a distinguished road
Name: Vinnie
lionhunter93's Tacoma Gallery
Dont get it, you'll easily spend 500 on all the other stuff and it looks to be in pretty rough shape, look around a bit more and get a 4 stroke 250
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
UnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnGreased Fist is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
UnGreased Fist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionhunter93 View Post
Dont get it, you'll easily spend 500 on all the other stuff and it looks to be in pretty rough shape, look around a bit more and get a 4 stroke 250

Exactly. For 1200-1500. You can get a decent 05 250 4stroke

Don't waste your time or money on a 2000 125.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I'd drain the case and look at the oil for schrappnel (sp?) as well. Top ends are cheap and easy on these if the jug is ok.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Unless it can be started and ridden, I wouldn't buy it. At a minimum, I'd have her buy a clutch lever, even if you have to install it, so it can be bump started and riden. The way it sits raises too many concerns.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #14

wow thanks guys for the comments I think ill pass.. I’m wanting a Dirt bike I was going more towards the 250 more newer than this.. I was also thinking a quad not sure though I Have a 2 year old and would like to take him out for a ride. No sure but thanks for the comments helped me decide before I tell my wife I’m getting another toy!!!
just got my taco like 3 weeks ago so an off-road vehicle is pushing it right now if you know what I mean...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
you can try looking for a similar bike here http://www.vintagemx.us/roach.htm
Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #16

Haha its about 2 -3 roaches
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
What happened to the gas tank? Did the female rider forget to tighten the tie downs in the bed and it fell out on the highway?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Thomas
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ive owned many 2smokers and still do

Its a good bike......but with the bad parts, Id be suspiscious to how well it was maintained.

You may get it and fix all issues, just to find that the rings are bad and it needs a topend rebuild.....

If it has NEVER had a topend rebuild before......id pass
If its beeen recently rebuilt(motor) then $400 is a good price

GL
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
TheSloth has a spectacular aura aboutTheSloth has a spectacular aura about
Name: David
TheSloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico View Post
wow thanks guys for the comments I think ill pass.. Iím wanting a Dirt bike I was going more towards the 250 more newer than this.. I was also thinking a quad not sure though I Have a 2 year old and would like to take him out for a ride. No sure but thanks for the comments helped me decide before I tell my wife Iím getting another toy!!!
just got my taco like 3 weeks ago so an off-road vehicle is pushing it right now if you know what I mean...
A two year old on a dirt bike? Seriously?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
whatever you do......Do NOT get a quad