Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Long travel or mid travel and off road toy?

View Poll Results: which is best/ makes the most sense?
long travel tacoma 4 20.00%
mid travel tacoma and buggy 11 55.00%
3" lift tacoma and buggy 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
Long travel or mid travel and off road toy?

So i've only really been off-roading once, in Barstow to test my school's SAE baja car, but ever since then, I've been hooked with the entire concept. Once I get my degree, I'm planning on selling my 5 lug and getting a slightly older V6 4x4 2nd gen.
Now the dilemma. I'd love to long travel the truck, but its super expensive and i don't like the idea of my daily driver being my primary offroad vehicle (damages)
My other option is either lifting or doing a mid travel on the truck and buying a buggy of some sort to mess with and have as my primary off roader. I know the second option is probably as/more expensive than the first, but at least i wont have to worry about wrecking my daily driver and I'd be alot more comfortable tinkering with a $3000 fixer upper buggy than with a $20,000 truck. (I'd be lifting/mid-traveling the truck just to be able to tow the buggy around in the desert)
I'm also wondering if you can even build a baja bug/manx, that would be as much fun as a long travel tacoma? and how much does that generally cost? Any input about that would be great too
I know its a bit early to be thinking about this as i still have at least 2 years before i graduate, but my curiosity got the best of me
Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
D SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Dylan
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy a trailer and "buggy " and tow it when you go out
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by D SPAID View Post
Just buy a trailer and "buggy " and tow it when you go out
this.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
Buggy would be the most bang for your buck fun factor
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

What would be the best offroader (i.e. baja bug, manx, custom buggy, etc.)? And about how much would a good setup cost?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
you can buy a built truck for less than putting LT on your truck. definitely go with a built rig you will never see the money again if you put it into your truck.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
D SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Dylan
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
This ^^
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^What he said^^^

There's always dudes who life is forcing to grow up and selling their toys to buy a family car. Make their loss your gain.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #10

k, so it looks like i'll just start with a simple lift and eventually do a mid travel. I kinda get how to mid travel the front (TC uca's CO's and eventually TC LCA's if needed) but I'm kinda confused on the rear. I was thinking of the defined engineering stage one kit with longer shocks. I'd probably keep the stock fenders and just trim them out a little to fit bigger tires. does that sound like a pretty solid mid-travel? any CO and rear shock recommendations? also, could i put the rear shocks in the stock locations, or will i need to build a bed cage?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #11

oh, and for the front, would i need extended front axels if i do mid travel?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
RJ is selling his MT set up I believe Icons. But you arent quite ready it looks. and im not sure about the axles but I assume the axles are fine you arent getting anymore travel out of the front you are just getting better shocks in a sense that are valved better.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
If you build a bed cage or get an extended axle that is beyond mid travel. Since you have a couple years, I would really research exactly what everything is.. You seem excited and that's awesome but you should check out the site thoroughly. As for the buggy, I have no idea. What type of off-roading are you planning on doing? That's pretty vital information we could use.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #14

I was hoping to do some high(ish) speed desert running, but nothing too serious. The buggy would basically just be a side project that i could easily sell if i needed to and still have the truck.
So the longer shocks could mount up like the stock ones? ...I think as far as the truck is concerned, i mainly want to increase the ground clearance a little, fit 33's, and armor it up. I figured mid travel is best way to lift it without compromising too much ride quality. I'm pretty familiar with long travel and simple lifts, but i'm a bit hazy about the mid travel grey area in between haha
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Put the money into a sand rail with a LS motor or buy someone's nicely built LT truck at a big discount .
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your truck and buy a UTV.

There is nothing cooler than a newer truck with all the comfort items, plus bookoo suspension and the ability haul ass. But it's expensive as shit to get it there and expensive to maintain.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Op just setup your taco as a tow rig and put your money into the buggy better to beat on a buggy than the truck I wish I went that route
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Keep your truck and buy a UTV.

There is nothing cooler than a newer truck with all the comfort items, plus bookoo suspension and the ability haul ass. But it's expensive as shit to get it there and expensive to maintain.
X2
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.rhinoforums.net/rhino-par...ift-660-a.html