LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Custom Tracked Vehicle

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Custom Tracked Vehicle

So I have been wanting to do this forever and now finally have the time and tools to maybe get started on it. I have been wanting to build a small, one person, custom tracked vehicle. Not sure what size engine I want to use yet, and haveing trouble with what tracks to use.

The purpose would just be a toy to drive around in the snow, but also be able to use on the sirt if I wanted. Maybe just have different tracks I would switch out?

Here are a couple videos to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY7wd0OuEb4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGWlJ...feature=relmfu

I mostly plan on it to look like the second one, but be able to go a little faster if I want it to.

Tracks
I want to use a set that would be cheap and really easy for me to get, they don't have to be super nice and brand new, anything I can tear off a machine in a junkyard maybe. PREFERABLY want rubber tracks, MAYBE metal if I can get a light set.

Engine
I have seen a few on youtube with small turbo diesels, which would be absolutely awesome, but one that small would be hard to find, and considerably more weight. Saw a couple with small gas engines, like 12hp but I feel like that would be too small.

Suspension
..... Yeah I don't know much about this yet..

Chassis
So I will probably make the whole fram and rollcage out of square tubing just because I feel like it's a lot easier to work with, and I don't have a round tube notcher.

Accessories
I want to mount lights on the top facing forward, as well as backwards. I also wanted to some how inclose the cab if I could, and mount some kind of small heater inside, because I want to use this in snow. Maybe even a radio

This thread is basically just to brainstorm ideas for now so me and my buddy will have some good ideas to go off of maybe. Once I get a drivetrain and track system of some kind I will start the whole frame and go from there. I'll either turn this into a build thread or start a new thread.

If you have any input or ideas feel free to post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
cool

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i have all ways liked those.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
i have all ways liked those.
Right? They are way badass. They can be expensive to build but I feel like if I can get some input on it I can get tracks somehow for cheap, and maybe even an engine somehow. The metal for the frame would be no problem.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
I would love to have one of these but i dont want: the price, months of work and fixing it lol
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
I'd end up rolling that thing
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Looks cool, I wonder if you could pick up an old quad engine and stick it in there. Like a 700 or 800cc. Preferably EFI since itll be in the cold
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
Looks cool, I wonder if you could pick up an old quad engine and stick it in there. Like a 700 or 800cc. Preferably EFI since itll be in the cold
That's not a bad idea. I have a few buddys at different dealers in the area, maybe I can get a deal on an engine from a wrecked quad or something haha
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Try and find some old sno-cat tracks, gotta be a place to get those.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
no one ever pays me in gum
blacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblacksheff405 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: caleb
blacksheff405's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ramrubbertracks.com/

^hope this helps
would be a awesome toy to have. Good luck man
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheff405 View Post
http://www.ramrubbertracks.com/

^hope this helps
would be a awesome toy to have. Good luck man
I was trying to avoid buying tracks online brand new, but those ones are waaay cheaper than I was expecting. Thanks man!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
You need an old Iron Duke engine that would be perfect for your application
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the 'mini-rip' Howe and Howe built. Now that thing was badass. Used a Canam 800 ATV that was fully tore apart and setup to run tracks....

Hell lets see what youtube has...
http://youtu.be/XKgi2g-uUBI
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Check out the 'mini-rip' Howe and Howe built. Now that thing was badass. Used a Canam 800 ATV that was fully tore apart and setup to run tracks....

Hell lets see what youtube has...
http://youtu.be/XKgi2g-uUBI
I saw that on the show! That thing is definitely one of the sickest tracked vehicles I have seen.

It's good to know what engine they used. I can probably get a polaris sportsman engine if anything. Not sure how I will adapt it for tracks yet though.

I forgot they used a snowmobile chassis for the whole thing. I think I am going to try to go through some episodes of the show on netflix and see if I can get some info from it. I really want to use rubber tracks but they are hard to find unless you buy them brand new.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #16
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you have your steering down yet but this is a great read on it.

http://www.gizmology.net/tracked.htm

These guys also do rubber tracks.

http://www.righttracksystemsinc.com/...k-systems.html
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTacoGuy View Post
Not sure if you have your steering down yet but this is a great read on it.

http://www.gizmology.net/tracked.htm

These guys also do rubber tracks.

http://www.righttracksystemsinc.com/...k-systems.html

I have no idea how I was wanting to do the steering yet. We have a large snowcat in the family that uses hydraulic skid steer. Im gonna take a better look at it next time I'm near it and figure out the suspension. I was thinking probably just brake steer because it's simplest. I'll definitely give this a read though. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #18
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

this sounds like a death trap on tracks.. I approve
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
this sounds like a death trap on tracks.. I approve
I think the cool factor is worth the possible injury/death
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I think the cool factor is worth the possible injury/death
Life without risk fails to progress.