1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What plug is this on an ATV?

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by RBoyd0325, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    RBoyd0325

RBoyd0325 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4 3" lift
    I have a 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 Big Bear, and when I was working on it one day, i noticed this plug. I had just drained all of the oil out of it, but when i removed the screw, oil came pumping out of it. It looked like motor oil, and not some sort of diff fluid. Im afraid to ride it now because i have no idea how old the oil is, or what it goes to. It almost looks like the transmission. But i dont know how i would change it because i dont know how to drain it or find the drain plug. i need someones expertise, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

photo(7).jpg

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i’m going to take a guess and say it was trans oil. some atvs/dirt bikes use the same motor in the trans as they do in the motor. i know my honda crf150r uses the same oil in both motor and trans and they drain and fill separately.

also you wont. go down to the local deal and ask the parts guys. maybe they will know or can look at it on the computer. be nice about it and if they are a good dealer they should help you out. and you should not have to take it in.

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    RBoyd0325

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    yeah that was going to be a last resort for me, trailering it somewhere. i was so confused on how if it was the same oil, how i could drain the motor oil out, and when i removed that plug, it came pumping out! now whatever it is is low....and i dont know where to fill it up. cause if it pumps out, i would think that means its a low spot, so i dont know how to fill it up.

4. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
  5. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    RBoyd0325

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    So should I worry about keeping it full of oil? Or is it the motor oil that is coming out of there?

6. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    It's probably a gear oil...was it pumping out fast? or kinda dribbling out? Yeah, I'd keep the oil level up on that though.

7. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    RBoyd0325

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    It didn't look like a gear oil, like you would put in the diff. It was brown and looked just like motor oil. But the spout is angled upwards and when I took it off, it should out pretty fast, like it was the low spot and had a good bit of pressure on it

To Top