1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quad vs dirtbike?!

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by MrAntipop, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Just sayin', it's easier than you think. I've had my bike land square on my leg in a wreck, my ankle was purple but not much more.

2. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    trooper12

trooper12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    maxtrac 4" lift spindles, wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf pack. nothin special...
    Dirt bikes are better in every way. lighter, faster, more suspension travel, can easily adjust the suspension for different tracks or riding conditions, require more maintenance (i like working on my bikes).

i would get a 2 stroke, they are lighter (easier to maneuver) and faster than 4 strokes.

3. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    ^you can adjust the suspension on high end quads too. Also quads require more maintenance assuming you get a MX style quad. 4 wheels, 2 more brake pads, ball joints, a arm bushings, etc...

4. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dont be a quadtard. Get a dirtbike. All quads are good for is doing donuts in staging areas and gooning. Unless you need it to hunt... get dirtbike.

I have an old quad I grew up riding on... got my first dirtbike in 1998. Never touched a quad since.

5. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    trooper12

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    it will happen, everybody crashes at some point. I flipped a yamaha banshee and the end of the handle bar landed on my chest and cracked 2 ribs. I would much rater have a dirt bike land on top of me

6. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    trooper12

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    true, and not to mention doing the valves every few rides with the racing engines

7. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    lol maybe if you run screen door material as an air filter.

Valves should be good for about 100 hours if you don't bounce it off the rev limiter like a retarded goon.;)

8. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    trooper12

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    I ride 2 strokes so yea i rev the hell outa them :D

Im just going off my friends crf250, he would have to shim it all the time.

9. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    I grew up with quads on a farm and love riding the honda 250's. I tried them again now that I'm an adult and I love the stability and being able to stop, get on and off without the 40' saddle height etc of a dirtbike but had some serious safety concerns on the steep sandy/dirt hills in OHV riding areas in socal. I tried a coupe of hills that I almost rolled backwards on. Only because I held the throttle down long enough trying to get over the top did the back wheels dig out a little step so when I jumped off and held the brakes it didn't go flying down backwards. Also on the big hills if you can't make it up, you can always lay down a dirtbike.. quad will just roll, most likely with you!

I agree with others, rent or borrow first and forget buying until you have some experience with both or you will just waste money most likely.

10. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    CDSurfPhotography

CDSurfPhotography Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    I could roll a quad super easy by just doing a few donuts, and the worst thing that ever happened to me on my bike was the head pipe on my exhaust burned a hole in my new riding pants. So I would pick a bike to land on me and day rather than a quad.

11. Mar 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    same here, but my brother put 100 hours on his 2007 CRF250R before it needed shims. He was an A rider back then, mostly harescrambles.

12. Mar 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Either one land on you right and you can get messed up. I've ridden quads over thousands of miles. (Literally). in all kinds of terrain. From my experience you're gunna have more accidents on a dirtbike and fewer accidents on a quad. But due to the had being heavier there is more of a chance of worse accidents. Then again on dirtbikes you'll have more smaller injuries. Honestly if you're good it's not gunna happen and if it does you're gunna fall in a way to lessen the impact. It's all a part of being a smart rider. I've never flipped yet knock on wood. And I've gone through probably every terrain on a quad.

13. Mar 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    The baddest ass golf cart there is.
    What do you think of it?
    [​IMG]
    I got an invite to Sand Mountain to test drive & maybe win one of these.
    Maverick 1000r
    •101-hp Rotax® 1000R V-Twin engine with high-flow dynamics
    •Dual exhaust for a performance sound signature
    •Torsional Trailing A-arms (TTA) independent rear suspension with 14 in. of travel
    •Adjustable seat and tilt steering
    •Front and rear FOX∞ PODIUM∞ X Performance 2.0 piggyback shocks
    •27-in. Maxxis Bighorn 2.0∞ tires
    We had a blast at Sand Mountain. The Can-Am Maverick is 101HP of pure fun.
    Chris decided she didn't want to drive & didn't want to ride with me (she thought I might get a little crazy with it). She was going to go with the lady of the quad rider couple we met while waiting for our turn. Since the lady didn't hop in one in time she lost the driver seat to someone else. So the lady ended up riding ...with me & Chris rode with her husband. The tires were over inflated & I made the mistake of getting one of the two with accessories (this one had a soft top, stereo, GPS, mirror, extra lights on top & in front as well as skidplates). When I did the test fit of the tripod (on a base model) I had it setup to look over the roll cage. After I strapped it to the one I drove I realized it had lights on top so I lowered it and the rear view mirror was in the way.
    I got it over 55MPH and would have gone faster if there wasn't someone in the way. Got it airborne a couple of times.
    This thing is fast with plenty of power, handles great & is very comfortable.

http://youtu.be/7_b8VSeazak

Maybe when we are done building the new house we"ll get one.

14. Mar 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I would have to pick rolaris rzr over canam

15. Mar 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    I was gonna suggest terex or the rzr for the desert. It'll look cooler being towed by the taco anyway.

16. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    Most everything here is valid...but, again, from the point of having both -

You WILL fall off either, and at times they WILL land on you. (My quad tried to drown me once). The 400lbs vs. 220 lbs is valid. I find that you tend to fall off the bike more at low speeds and the quad at high speeds. The bike falls are more common.

The hatred is indeed due to the way quads tear up single-track, and the bike is slightly better able to get into tight places... but the quad will traverse much softer ground (mud and sugar sand) than the bikes, more easily. The quads (mostly) all have reverse & e-start, which is a BIG deal when you have to maneuver in tight spaces on a hot day.

Finally - they are the same to work on, given that they are the same type - 2 or 4 stroke. 2-strokes are much easier and cheaper to work on the engines. Yes, a quad has more parts to work on, but the bike has forks, which are messy and annoying to rebuild.

The best advice, given here often is, try to get a good day's ride on both, in the kind of terrain you'll be riding on. We (my g/f & I) are planning on relocating to the Vegas area in the next couple of years, and I think the wide-open terrain will be more suited to the bikes, but I still think we'll use the quads just as much.

Good luck.

17. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    It's like motorcyclist say: "It's not a matter of if you crash, just a matter of when.."

On my 80's vintage honda fourtrax 250 I was putting around in a field with muddy boots on. Back then the quads didn't have the fully enclosed wheel wells like they do today and I went over a bigger bump than I expected and my right foot slid of the peg. It hit the rear tire and pulled me over REAL fast and I ended up getting a nice big cut on my stomach from that serrated peg while my leg slid under the rear wheel for about 15 feet. I'm REALLY lucky I didn't get seriously hurt.

I love quads, but they are NOT safe and you should always be super careful because you will have accidents if you ride them. Being tossed over the handlebars sounds difficult, but IT'S NOT!

18. Mar 4, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    OP i prefer dirtbike over quad anyday. My buddy has a Honda TRX 700. Thing is Bad ass, but i would never buy one. Quads are actually more difficult to handle at higher speeds. Think about moving 2 wheels and all the connecting component with the power of your arms all day versus a single wheel on a fork.

Dirt bikes have a better power to weight ratio which can come in handy. I dont know how many times riding with my buddy he's had to find a way around shit while ive just hopped on the throttle a little and got the front wheel up and over some shit.

The new fuel injected bikes have awesome low end power and love them compared to my 2-stroke. not to mention ive had spark plugs foul out on my 2 stroke on me in the middle of the desert. Thats why I carry an extra spark plug in a back pack at all times when i ride.

Also its harder to flip a quad back over if you flip it by yourself and you are more likely to break something flipping a quad then on a dirtbike. Or get it unstuck from mud, they sink quicker in sand.

A dirtbike you can walk next to while powering it thru some gnarly shit. A quad you are forced to sit on, there is no walking next to it.

just my $ .02

on that note im actually selling my dirtbike. Rollcaging my truck so i dont die if i flip it.

19. Mar 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Looks like we have plenty of Couch riders in here :laugh: . [​IMG]

20. Mar 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    walk next to it. Eff that, power through ha, don't have to deal with that shit on a quad.

To Top