Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Quad vs dirtbike?!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #81
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Completely untrue, I've never understood why dirt bikers hate on quads so much. I used to be on the same bandwagon as you, always hating on quads until I rode one. They are just more fun in my opinion, plus they don't have to be put away when the snow flies, I can ride all year on my quad. My dirt bike was put away for 8 months out of the year which sucked, not a problem now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Well in my case it's because out where I ride there used to be tons of awesome single track everywhere, but recently the quads have found their way out there and ruined all of it by whooping it all out.
They also tend to not practice safe riding by drinking, not wearing safety gear, etc. Of course I won't say they all do this but there is definitely a correlation here. It makes all of us look bad to the hippies trying to shut down the riding spots.
^^^
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #82
MrAntipop is on a distinguished road
Name: Donnie
MrAntipop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
way to much, i started on a 250 and just recently (after riding for 2 years and a little bit) i upgraded to a 400, the 250 was awesome 'till i rode the 400.

what is your physical size? the 250 was a good size for me, and i'm 6'3'' and 200+ lbs.
5'10 250 lbs
They way i look at it is i will always control how fast it goes so how is it to much if im in control?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #83
Toyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brady
Toyota Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Iv been racing motoross for years and LOVE dirtbikes!

But.

I also have a quad and I have to say I enjoy it more, In the sense that I can have a passenger comfortably, I can haul things, I can carry things on the racks, I can go camping with it etc etc

It really all comes down to what kind of riding you do

If you want to rip around, take jumps, and fly through narrow trails and have friends with bikes... bike

If you want something a bit more relaxed with more capability... quad
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #84
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
walk next to it. Eff that, power through ha, don't have to deal with that shit on a quad.
Shhhhhhh... I'm watching your sig video.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #85
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quad!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #86
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Shhhhhhh... I'm watching your sig video.
Sigged
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #87
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quiet! she's gonna do another backflip!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #88
Lot of helpful shit and i still have no idea haha. Gunna go ride the 660 and see how that feels
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #89
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAntipop View Post
5'10 250 lbs
They way i look at it is i will always control how fast it goes so how is it to much if im in control?
if i hadn't started on a 250 i'd be dead, i'm not wild by any means either.
you can govern the throttle though, say to 50% and you would still get around but nothing crazy.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
if i hadn't started on a 250 i'd be dead, i'm not wild by any means either.
you can govern the throttle though, say to 50% and you would still get around but nothing crazy.
My buddy told me if i dont plan on jumping i should just get a golf cart. Im not getting a quad/bike to become a pro freestyle rider. I just want something to go out and putt around on i wont be doing anything crazy
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #91
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My buddy told me if i dont plan on jumping i should just get a golf cart. Im not getting a quad/bike to become a pro freestyle rider. I just want something to go out and putt around on i wont be doing anything crazy
golf cart or UTV?
we have a 2 stroke golf cart, street legal and all but it only does 27 mph.
honestly, it's not much fun, the only thing it does is carts people to and from the bathrooms.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #92
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Get a quad, youll have plenty of fun riding it. As far as engine size, it doesnt really matter on quads, so dont be worried about the bike being too big. Like you said you control how you ride so take it easy.

what ever you choose quad, bike, or a side by side. get it and go ride!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #93
Nerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Nerodivla's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35iBy09CPBM&sns=em

It's whatever you like! I find it funny that some 'men' still measure the size of their junk by the toys they play with... "And if you don't like what I like, you're not a man!" Hahahaha hilarity!

I prefer can am... Love their stuff..

In my personal experience dirt bikes hurt.. Especially if you have bad knees.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #94
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I would have to pick rolaris rzr over canam
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
I was gonna suggest terex or the rzr for the desert. It'll look cooler being towed by the taco anyway.
http://youtu.be/Ao91aPpnKAQ

http://youtu.be/qNF-Rc1TL9c

Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #95
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Completely untrue, I've never understood why dirt bikers hate on quads so much. I used to be on the same bandwagon as you, always hating on quads until I rode one. They are just more fun in my opinion, plus they don't have to be put away when the snow flies, I can ride all year on my quad. My dirt bike was put away for 8 months out of the year which sucked, not a problem now.

because where i'm from.. it brings all the idiots out to the yard.

I've seen idiots riding around with no helmets on... smashed into his friend and cracked his head open. daughter and family all crying while waiting for EMT to arrive. I mean i felt bad, but what else did he think was going to happen. We all just looked at each other... and i kid you not.. said "what an idiot" almost at the same time.

Another quadtard in the staging area... Guy was apparently doing donuts in the staging area and smashed into my truck. Got back just as they were trying to load up and bail. A fellow dirt biker ran over and told me about it just as i rolled in.

A bunch of quads going the wrong way on a one way trail. Exit has a HUGE HUGE freakin red stop sign that says do not enter... one way trail and about 4 other big signs on the trail. WTF?

Friends i used know that have quads end up playing tug of war, or facing each other bumper to bumper trying to push one further away to win... usually ends up with a snapped chain with me sitting there telling myself "wtf are these guys doing" then having to just ride by myself.

Another time a guy on a quad was coming down a trail as a bunch of us dirt bikers were going up. See's us right after the corner, friend ghost rides the bike (as he should), guy on quad slams front brakes and flips the bike. WTF???

I'm sure there are a few responsible quad riders, but where i'm from most of them all goons that ruin the single track and do a bunch of donuts in the staging area.

Neighbor bought a quad and thought it was the coolest thing. He learned real quick (3 months) and ended up getting a dirt bike. told me no matter what he does, he doesnt respect the quad and it ends up getting him in sketchy situations.

A lot of quad riders never end up respecting the thing. A lot of my friends go to pismo and rent quads and they goon the heck out of them. One of my friends was hauling ass up front and went over a huge dune. Probably 2 stories high. cleared the step down and went straight to the bottom. I saw his ass in the air as the quad bucked him on the lip. He was smart enough to throw himself away from the quad and use the decline of the dune to use as a landing.

I feel that those who have ridden dirtbikes a lot before and switched to quads will respect the machine and the trails. those that start off and stay on quads... god help us all.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #96
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
5'10 250 lbs
whiskey throttle or whiskey thumb... If you dont know what that is... you'll experience it once you get your bike/quad. best experienced without being told what it is, or to be aware of it. LOL especially for those watching.
I've WT'd over whoops and into corners. talk about A**hole pucker factor!!!

Height has nothing to do with what bike you get. Weight maybe as long as you're not a twig (large bikes will tend to take you for a ride than the other way around) Weight of larger bikes and moving parts (unsprung weight)

I rode a 250cc two stroke ATC (three wheels) at pismo when i was like 10. Thing scared the sh*T out of me, but i rode it like a champ. (even though i was crapping bricks inside)
Then i rode a 200cc four stroke for awhile. Started taking that off jumps and decided its time for a dirtbike. I was probably 5'0 at the time if that. 110lbs maybe?

I'm 5'5 now (i'm asian... so yea i'm short lol) and 150lbs. ridden 450 dirtbikes for awhile. I've been bucked off that thing more that i'd like to admit. It was more of like a "manly" thing, but i soon learned i was faster on a smaller bike.
you're a big dude, get a decent sized quad and have fun.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #97
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
because where i'm from.. it brings all the idiots out to the yard.

I've seen idiots riding around with no helmets on... smashed into his friend and cracked his head open. daughter and family all crying while waiting for EMT to arrive. I mean i felt bad, but what else did he think was going to happen. We all just looked at each other... and i kid you not.. said "what an idiot" almost at the same time.

Another quadtard in the staging area... Guy was apparently doing donuts in the staging area and smashed into my truck. Got back just as they were trying to load up and bail. A fellow dirt biker ran over and told me about it just as i rolled in.

A bunch of quads going the wrong way on a one way trail. Exit has a HUGE HUGE freakin red stop sign that says do not enter... one way trail and about 4 other big signs on the trail. WTF?

Friends i used know that have quads end up playing tug of war, or facing each other bumper to bumper trying to push one further away to win... usually ends up with a snapped chain with me sitting there telling myself "wtf are these guys doing" then having to just ride by myself.

Another time a guy on a quad was coming down a trail as a bunch of us dirt bikers were going up. See's us right after the corner, friend ghost rides the bike (as he should), guy on quad slams front brakes and flips the bike. WTF???

I'm sure there are a few responsible quad riders, but where i'm from most of them all goons that ruin the single track and do a bunch of donuts in the staging area.

Neighbor bought a quad and thought it was the coolest thing. He learned real quick (3 months) and ended up getting a dirt bike. told me no matter what he does, he doesnt respect the quad and it ends up getting him in sketchy situations.

A lot of quad riders never end up respecting the thing. A lot of my friends go to pismo and rent quads and they goon the heck out of them. One of my friends was hauling ass up front and went over a huge dune. Probably 2 stories high. cleared the step down and went straight to the bottom. I saw his ass in the air as the quad bucked him on the lip. He was smart enough to throw himself away from the quad and use the decline of the dune to use as a landing.

I feel that those who have ridden dirtbikes a lot before and switched to quads will respect the machine and the trails. those that start off and stay on quads... god help us all.
quad riders tend to be inexperienced vs dirt bike guys because it's easier to ride a quad than a bike.

however not all guys who ride quads drive stupid.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #98
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
haha well said!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #99
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
Sigged
lol..
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #100
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"Crazy" is a relative term... and it's inevitable that you will progressively get faster, and more daring. Shit happens. Trees jump out in front of you. That patch of weeds conceals deep water (ask me how I know this)... another bike/quad is going the wrong way, coming around a blind turn on a one-way trail. Shit happens.

Oh, and whatever you choose...ATGATT is an acronym from the street bike world... it means, All The Gear, All The Time. Helmet, goggles, gloves BOOTS (work boots are ok for a quad, but for a bike, you need MX boots; again, ask how I know). A "roost guard" (used to be called "chest Protectors) is nice too, for those branches that try SO hard to spear you.

The day you neglect to wear ANY of that stuff, is the day you get hurt. Once more, ask how I know.

Before you get the idea I'm a really reckless/bad/unskilled/insane rider, I'm 57, and have been on dirt bikes/ATC's/Quads since I was 14... that's 43 years, so there was lots of lessons learned in that time; I didn't learn it all in one day, LOL.