Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > All Terrain Vehicles

Notices

Looking at buying a polaris

Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
airsoft_warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to airsoft_warrior
Looking at buying a polaris

There are two on craislist I found one is a 2005 Sportsman 500 HO with winch, tow, gunrack, and plow has about 400 miles on it for $4750 (flexible)

The second is a 2008 Sportsman 400 HO gunrack only and 135 miles. $3700 firm.

Which is the better deal
Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
What do you really need? What do you want?

How much is the extra 1500 worth to you?

I personally think 500cc is perfect, but is 100cc worth the extra money? But I don't really need a plow... a winch could be super useful, I've found myself wanting one a couple times... but you could always add one on for a few hundred...

Which is in better shape?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
What do you really need? What do you want?

How much is the extra 1500 worth to you?

I personally think 500cc is perfect, but is 100cc worth the extra money? But I don't really need a plow... a winch could be super useful, I've found myself wanting one a couple times... but you could always add one on for a few hundred...

Which is in better shape?
The 400 is like new. The 500 is worn alittle. A winch would be nice, the plow would be nice. and i dont know how much the plow would cost on its own.

I will want to do some trail riding, not necessarily go mudding but it would be fun occasionally. Not necessaily needing the extra 100 CC.

The 400 is about 2 hours one way. the 500 is 30 mins
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
4 times the miles and has been used to plow could mean that a lot more parts are worn or stressed and might need replacing sooner. Personally, unless you really need the plow, I'd get the newer one.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

400 miles, vs 135 is what I read...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
JUST DON'T BUY A POLARIS TO START WITH...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
JUST DON'T BUY A POLARIS TO START WITH...
There's one in every crowd

Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
There's one in every crowd

Had to lol! Some may not like that I'm a Yamaha fan-boy. It's fine. To each their own! My honest opinion OP, ride them both and decide.

Me, I ride a 700 grizzly. My dad has a 700 and my mom has a 550. I put about 2000 miles on dad's (over 4 years) and about 200 on mom's (in 2 years) before getting mine and I've put 700 on it in 3 months lol Having ridden each I knew I needed the 700. it has the oomph that the 550 doesn't. Had I not ridden those before, a 450 would have probably been enough. My best friend has a 450 and it is gutless to me, but it is lower to the ground and he can corner way better than me.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Honda foreman and it is the most reliable quad I have ever used plus it goes anywhere I need it to
Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Had to lol! Some may not like that I'm a Yamaha fan-boy. It's fine. To each their own! My honest opinion OP, ride them both and decide.

Me, I ride a 700 grizzly. My dad has a 700 and my mom has a 550. I put about 2000 miles on dad's (over 4 years) and about 200 on mom's (in 2 years) before getting mine and I've put 700 on it in 3 months lol Having ridden each I knew I needed the 700. it has the oomph that the 550 doesn't. Had I not ridden those before, a 450 would have probably been enough. My best friend has a 450 and it is gutless to me, but it is lower to the ground and he can corner way better than me.
When I was growing up, the monster quads were the 500's. The the Grizzly came out with the 600, then they just kept getting bigger and bigger. I liked my little 250 2 stroke for the tight trails I grew up riding.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I would say go with the 400 without a doubt. I bought my 3500# superwinch w/ synthetic line for my rhino off amazon for $230.00. If you look around you can find a used plow for very cheap too, thats how I did it. If you even need the plow of course.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Honda or Yamaha for reliability like our toys.
Polaris for reliability like 2005 ford powerstroke.

The 400 Polaris used to be two stroke, not sure if that one is. So it a actually has more power than the 500, IMO.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
Honda or Yamaha for reliability like our toys.
Polaris for reliability like 2005 ford powerstroke.

The 400 Polaris used to be two stroke, not sure if that one is. So it a actually has more power than the 500, IMO.
You sure about that? Pretty sure the Sportman was always a 4-stroke. Either way, anything as new as the OP is looking would be 4 stroke anyways. The 400 Scrambler and 400 Sport used to have 2 stroke engines.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Batman

So the 400 isnt available this weekend for me to check it out. I have heard good and bad about polaris. I hear nothing but good things (except price) for can am. Id like a renegade. I like the outlander as well. I would love a grizzly. But I would like a 500 or higher I think. Id like to do some mudding and have the power if I want/need it. I would definitely like 4x4.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #15

Yamaha big bear or grizzly

Honda foreman or rancher

Great quads
Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Batman

I looked at a honda foreman Rubicon it was nice. Full auto or electronic shift. 800cc I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Yamaha big bear or grizzly

Honda foreman or rancher

Great quads
Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
We use atv's everyday for work on our farm. Put several thousand miles on them a year. We've always used Honda ranchers and they've been very reliable, but just recently bought a sportsman 500 and a ranger 800. The ranger burnt almost a quart of oil per fill up after about a year. The sportsman has about 2000 miles on it and it's been reliable, but seems built very poorly. Almost every piece of plastic on it's falling off and it's hard to start, it is a newer carb'd model. The one your looking at might be fuel injected, not sure when they changed it.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Batman

Well I dont know what I want to do now. I want to be able to ride with my wife on the back with less chance of flipping back.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
You could definitely get a Honda Rancher for that kind of money. They are quite a bit smaller in size than a polaris 500 so if you want to ride two up you might not like it as much. I would take a rancher over a foreman but a big bear isn't a bad idea. They are a little old school but I've always heard good things about them.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoft_warrior View Post
Well I dont know what I want to do now. I want to be able to ride with my wife on the back with less chance of flipping back.
Any of the full sized utility quads should be fine for that, especially 4x4. On a steep climb, you'll have to be careful regardless since the ATV's you're looking at aren't built for 2 up.

The 400 has more than enough power for mudding. Obviously, it won't throw mud like an 800cc V twin but it's a hell of a lot lighter and will do just fine. The older 4 and 500s used to be the monsters, they can turn mud tires.

The Can Ams are awesome ATVs. If you can afford it, go for it! They're pricey but damn nice machines.